Author Topic: IN/KY: I-265  (Read 6625 times)

Offline cl94

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:11:33 am
IN/KY: I-265
« on: June 05, 2021, 09:10:40 pm »
It looks like the two segments of I-265 in IN and KY were connected in June 2019. Since convention is to include all unsigned Interstates, I propose we delete I-265FutLou and replace with I-265 in both IN and KY.

AASHTO approval: https://s3.amazonaws.com/v3-app_crowdc/assets/3/31/31119030d9a75754/Final_Report_to_CHS_USRN_Application_Results_Spring_2019.original.1558475352.pdf?1558475353

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:56:29 pm
Re: IN/KY: I-265
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 09:20:09 pm »
Seconded considering our approach to usai. I've also confirmed the link.
Completed:
* Systems: DC, WI
* by US State: AR: I&; AZ: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I*; NE: I; NJ, I; OH: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI; (AR, IN pending expansions.)

*Previously completed

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:29:47 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 09:31:29 pm »
If we move forward with the change on I-265, then the northern segment of I-555 will need to be added as well.

Having stated that, my understanding is that mapcat and yakra are still waiting for the signage changes to occur.  (With the former wondering what will happen to KY 841)

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 07, 2024, 11:18:57 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 03:33:53 am »
Someone (Oscar maybe? I dunno) once upon a time made a distinction I find useful -- Interstates DOTs have no intention of ever signing, like ME I-495, vs. Interstates (or sections of Interstates) meant to be signed that aren't. Or, call it completely unsigned vs. partially unsigned.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:54:53 am
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 04:34:08 am »
If we do this, we need to add I-69 in Memphis, as TDOT did get approval the same year ( 2008 ) as MS did for their segment of I-69 from both the AASHTO & FHWA.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:41:05 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 04:57:04 am »
Someone (Oscar maybe? I dunno) once upon a time made a distinction I find useful -- Interstates DOTs have no intention of ever signing, like ME I-495, vs. Interstates (or sections of Interstates) meant to be signed that aren't. Or, call it completely unsigned vs. partially unsigned.

I think I made a slightly different point, WRT Texas -- if the state DOT formally adopts a roadway segment (such as by TX Transportation Commission order?) as an Interstate route, after getting any necessary AASHTO and FHWA approvals, we needn't wait for signage. But the state needs to affirmatively follow up on the Federal-level approvals, even if not necessarily (but ideally) by putting up signs. That avoids a situation like US 90 relocation in Beaumont TX where the DOT gets approvals, then decides "oh, never mind".

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 07, 2024, 11:18:57 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 01:54:01 pm »
I think I made a slightly different point, WRT Texas -- if the state DOT formally adopts a roadway segment (such as by TX Transportation Commission order?) as an Interstate route, after getting any necessary AASHTO and FHWA approvals,
WRT I-555, seems that may have AASHTO but not FHWA approval?

we needn't wait for signage. But the state needs to affirmatively follow up on the Federal-level approvals, even if not necessarily (but ideally) by putting up signs. That avoids a situation like US 90 relocation in Beaumont TX where the DOT gets approvals, then decides "oh, never mind".
...or US40 is Lawrence KS. 🤮
These and TX US175BusPoy made me more conservative about jumping on changes right when they're approved, preferring to wait until signage is confirmed.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 09:06:02 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 04:28:47 pm »
I think I made a slightly different point, WRT Texas -- if the state DOT formally adopts a roadway segment (such as by TX Transportation Commission order?) as an Interstate route, after getting any necessary AASHTO and FHWA approvals, we needn't wait for signage. But the state needs to affirmatively follow up on the Federal-level approvals, even if not necessarily (but ideally) by putting up signs. That avoids a situation like US 90 relocation in Beaumont TX where the DOT gets approvals, then decides "oh, never mind".

So I see another potential distinction here: relocation versus extension.

If a route is currently signed as going one particular way, it makes sense to not jump immediately on paper changes due to the concerns mentioned above: the possibility exists that the DOT won't actually bother to change the signs in which case what the signs say continues to govern.

But if a route (or part of a route) is simply not signed currently, then this isn't an issue. So there is no reason to hold off on connecting I-265 because there is no existing different signed routing and therefore no risk that IN and/or KY will ultimately decide to leave it signed elsewhere.

And I would favor inclusion of I-69 in Memphis and the I-555 extension for the same reason, provided that they both in fact have AASHTO and FHWA approval (sounds like the latter may not have okayed one of them yet?)

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Today at 12:56:11 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 05:37:26 pm »
It's worth noting that neither this portion of I-265 nor I-69 through Memphis are marked as interstate in FHWA's map, despite being at least AASHTO approved (interestingly, I-69 in Mississippi is, despite not being built yet).  Someone with more knowledge of I-555 can check that one.  It would seem that the change has simply not happened, not that it did but is not signed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:54:53 am
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 08:10:49 pm »
And I would favor inclusion of I-69 in Memphis and the I-555 extension for the same reason, provided that they both in fact have AASHTO and FHWA approval (sounds like the latter may not have okayed one of them yet?)

I-69 does have FHWA approval in TN.  I still have on my HD the PDF file from the FHWA approving it between the MS border & TN-300 (which, I might add, is all on existing Interstates) that was posted on the AASHTO website, dated January 18, 2008.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 22, 2024, 10:48:21 pm
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 11:38:29 am »
Later this month I should have time to contact INDOT and KYTC to assess whether they ever intend to sign the bridge as I-265. Any changes will depend on their response.
Clinched:

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:29:47 pm
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2021, 05:35:47 pm »
I clinched I-265/IN 265/KY 841 Friday, and I did notice that I-265 mile markers in IN continue a mile or so east of I-65.  I am unsure if that means anything for the future.

I also noticed widening of I-265/KY 841 going on in KY as well, but I am unsure if the signage plans at I-71 would be of any help here.

EDIT:  Note that the 37 point on KY 841 will need to be relocated as well.  Right now it is shown as a direct connection to US 42 that may have been left over from before the completion of the Ohio River Bridge.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 11:55:47 am by Markkos1992 »

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 22, 2024, 10:48:21 pm
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2021, 07:01:41 pm »
INDOT was unable to understand what I was asking, but according to KYTC, both states have discussed signing it as I-265 and just haven't moved on it yet because it would be expensive.
Clinched:

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:56:29 pm
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2021, 09:59:31 pm »
I also noticed widening of I-265/KY 841 going on in KY as well, but I am unsure if the signage plans at I-71 would be of any help here.
Mentioned southbound only as of this summer.
Completed:
* Systems: DC, WI
* by US State: AR: I&; AZ: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I*; NE: I; NJ, I; OH: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI; (AR, IN pending expansions.)

*Previously completed

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Today at 12:56:11 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2021, 10:05:01 pm »
INDOT was unable to understand what I was asking, but according to KYTC, both states have discussed signing it as I-265 and just haven't moved on it yet because it would be expensive.
Are they insisting on the "replace whole sign and supports" method of updating things?  I wouldn't think taking down the old shields and putting in the new would be that expensive.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.