Author Topic: RI: Pell Bridge Approach reconstruction  (Read 5244 times)

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 09:14:55 pm
RI: Pell Bridge Approach reconstruction
« on: December 20, 2023, 12:38:12 am »
The new roadways associated with this are now all in place, and thus:

- RI 138 needs to be moved onto the new approach road
- RI 138A and RI 238 need to have... something done with their endpoint here, but what depends on whether they've been extended to still actually intersect the new RI 138 or whether they still end where the former interchange was. September 2023 GMSV shows no signage indication of an extension but this is RI so who knows.

EDIT: a local who was able to do a field check today informs me that RI 138A is now signed as proceeding north up JT Connell Highway and then using JT Connell Connector to meet RI 138 at the first signal after the bridge.

RI 238, meanwhile, appears to simply be no more.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 05:32:22 pm by Duke87 »

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 08:59:21 pm
    • New York State Roads
Re: RI: Pell Bridge Approach reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 09:17:56 pm »
There's also this and this; are those confirmed fixed/gone?  Of course, this is RI...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 06:57:19 pm »
I was down here today to re-clinch RI 138 and RI 138A.  While the signage situation is as muddy as ever, I would recommend adjusting this as Duke87 suggested.

For RI 138, while the sign I pointed to (and another approaching the same junction) suggests a reroute, there is no further signage following that way or on any route it would likely be rerouted to, the existing route is well-signed, and there are orange signs for Newport, suggesting that this more likely either detour signage that never got removed, or simply in error with the arrows pointing the wrong way, rather than a planned reroute.

For RI 138A, the sign I pointed to is the only one suggesting that RI 138A exists north of the connector; nothing at the roundabout or the new roadway for RI 138 suggests this.  That sign is likely just missing a TO banner.  For the connector road, nothing on RI 138 NB that I was able to see (didn't actually go this way, but I was keeping my eyes peeled for anything that looked like route signage in the other direction, though it's possible I missed something).  RI 138 WB says the connector road is "TO" RI 138A, while the EB guide sign suggests it is RI 138A itself.

An yes, RI 238 signage appears to be gone.  When I clinched it in 2019, the only sign I recall seeing was this one.  That sign is now gone, probably removed when the intersection was reconfigured to favor RI 138A as the thru route.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:20:05 am
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 11:57:35 pm »
Are the RI 238 signs here gone? Not that this is supposed to be 238...
https://maps.app.goo.gl/b7ZbKYw6Nwc4nzxdA

Offline vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 03:40:36 pm »
Are the RI 238 signs here gone? Not that this is supposed to be 238...
https://maps.app.goo.gl/b7ZbKYw6Nwc4nzxdA
I forgot about those!  Alas, I didn't think to look.

Offline vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 04:50:27 pm »
I found this sign for RI 238 in street view.  No idea if it's still there, but it seems more official than the Newport signs, which makes me wonder if the route we had for RI 238 was ever right.