Author Topic: NV: Old US 95 segment in Boulder City now signed as NV 173  (Read 1286 times)

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:10:15 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
NV: Old US 95 segment in Boulder City now signed as NV 173
« on: June 28, 2020, 11:19:24 pm »
As part of some field checking today in Las Vegas, I drove down to Boulder City to check on whether NV 173 (designation for about one mile of old US 95, bypassed when that part of US 95 was moved to the new I-11) ever got route signage. Well, after some delays it was finally signed, at least NB, with two standard route markers and a large new-style postmile with an NV 173 shield. The original lack of signage annoyed some of us, who had driven but could no longer claim that segment.

I'll have more updates later. I expect to pass through Las Vegas again later this week, and can clean up some loose ends, including possible splits/truncations of some surface routes in the city, and whether Summerlin Pkwy. got signage for its new NV 613 designation (it's in the HB, but as part of the usasf route set rather than usanv). Once I'm done with Las Vegas, I'll pull in the necessary changes.

Aside from the field checking, I drove through Valley of Fire State Park NE of Las Vegas. It certainly lived up to its name, with temps rising over 100°F before 11am (but hey, it's a dry heat!), and gusty hot winds. No actual wildfires there, but a major fire on Mt. Charleston west of the city closed part or all of three routes I wanted to snag.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 12:45:11 am by oscar »

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
Re: NV: Old US 95 segment in Boulder City now signed as NV 173
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 11:55:29 pm »
NV 173 and other changes in https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/4057

I'm not quite finished with the Las Vegas area updates:

-- NV 159 will likely need a three-way split, and NV 593 will likely need to be split in two, due to mid-route relinquishments. I want to do some followup before pulling in those changes.

-- New NV 602 in downtown Las Vegas has been added to the state highway system, but appears to be unsigned. I want to use GMSV to supplement my field check. The route is very short, and may be intended only to bring part of an I-515 interchange under state maintenance, rather than aid traveler navigation, which might explain the lack of any obvious route signage. Then again, so much other route signage in Las Vegas seems intended only to "mark territory" (specifically, where routes start and finish), with sparse junction signage to help travelers get from one route to another.

Outside the Las Vegas area, I need to compare the 2020 DOT list of state-maintained highways to what we have in the HB, for new/decommissioned/changed routes in other urban areas like Reno and Carson City, and also review the aaroads forum. Las Vegas was the only metro area in Nevada where I was able to do any field-checking. When I get to this, I'll discuss in one or more new topics.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 10:51:42 pm by oscar »

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
Re: NV: Old US 95 segment in Boulder City now signed as NV 173
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 07:11:25 pm »
On NV 159, there will need to be a three-way split, with the main Red Rocks segment including the west end of the route, a shorter Sunrise Manor segment at the east end, and a tiny (0.34 mile) Downtown segment in the middle. That last segment is basically the Charleston Blvd./I-15 interchange, the kind of complex structure local governments aren't anxious to take off NVDOT's hands. Despite its short length, it is signed (NV 159 signage from both northbound and southbound I-15), as are the other two.

On NV 593, it would need to be two segments, except its 0.57 mile segment around the Tropicana Ave./I-15 interchange appears to have no route signage (unlike the similar interchange on NV 159, and the remaining route segment at NV 593's east end). So I would just truncate the west end of NV 593 from Dean Martin Dr. to Maryland Pkwy., no need to split the route.

As for NV 602, I looked at the route in GMSV from every conceivable angle in addition to the ones I tried in my June 2020 field check. No route signage anywhere.

I'll pull in the NV 159 and NV 593 changes later this week.

When done, this topic can be marked as solved. Anything outside the Las Vegas area can go into one or more new topics.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 07:16:27 pm by oscar »