Author Topic: New Travels and Stats Discussion  (Read 228400 times)

Offline mikeandkristie

• Last Login:March 20, 2024, 07:58:41 pm
Re: New Travels and Stats Discussion
« Reply #345 on: September 28, 2019, 05:31:15 pm »
We've had a couple of trips to WV to New River Gorge in the last couple months sandwiched around a trip to northern Virginia where we did a detailed visit to all the small parks along the George Washington Parkway.  Along the way, we picked up a few hundred new miles in WV and VA with small bits in NC and DC.  Some of the highlights:

On the two WV trips, we were able to pick up several small segments that are close to our normal route of I-40 to Winston-Salem, then up US 52 then I-74 by Mount Airy up to I-77 the rest of the way into West Virginia.  Slowly chipping away at the parallel routes to I-77.
  • Going past Winston-Salem to Yadkinville and then up US 601 to I-74.
  • US 52 between Fancy Gap and Hillsville, extending our previous segment.  Plus a little US 58 Business in Hillsville.
  • The short VA 121 run at the first exit of the I-77 / I-81 duplex.
  • A run of US 52 in VA between exits 52 and 58.
  • Connecting WV 20 from the turn that goes out to I-77 Exit 14 in WV down into Princeton along with a little WV 104.

On the first trip we got some more miles between Beckley and the New River Gorge Bridge and got some new miles on the way home.
  • Since we already had US 19 from where you take Exit 48 from I-77/I-64 up to I-79, we got off at WV 16 and headed north along the old route through towns.  Connected everything up to Fayetteville except for one little section I thought we already had.
  • Got some US 19 into town before branch off onto WV 16 to connect to our existing run of WV 3 through Beckley.  Also discovered signage for US 19 Bypass for the East Beckley Bypass that the maps haven't caught up with yet.
  • Started heading home with the intention to try out the short section of the Coalfields Expressway that is open, but was in the wrong lane and couldn't get over.  So, stayed on WV 16 through Mullens and then WV 10 to US 19 and then into Princeton, getting Wyoming Co. in the process.

For the northern Virginia trip, we had once driven the GW Parkway from Mount Vernon to I-495, so we already had that marked off.  So, mainly chipping away at new sections getting to and from it.
  • On the way up, a couple of wrecks snarling traffic led to some impromtu new segments with us getting VA 195 and I-195 and then a short leg of VA 54 in Ashland between US 1 and I-95.  We would end up getting stuck in DC traffic on the way home, so my more aggressive plans had to wait except for one tiny segment of US 1 and 301 in Richmond.  We just have segments of those in Richmond and Petersburg to complete them in VA.
  • We stayed off of US 50 in Falls Church, allowing us to get a run of US 50 from where it splits with US 29 in Fairfax and the GW Parkway.  And US 29 from VA 28 all the way into DC to Vermont Avenue.   And US 1 north of I-95 in Alexandria and into DC up to the point where it turns with US 50 at Constitution Avenue.  We stayed straight until we hit US 29.  While we originally intended to come over the bridge on I-66 (Theodore Roosevelt Bridge), we missed that turn and came over on US 29 (Francis Scott Key Bridge).
  • Missed the first opportunity to merge onto I-66 from US 29, so we ended up running parallel to it for a mile before getting another chance at Exit 72.  And then taking it out to I-495.  We also got a small segment later, filling in our US 29 gaps until briefly merging onto I-66 on the way to exit onto VA 110.  And then a weird gap before getting from E St Expressway up to US 29.
  • Finishing VA 235 by Mount Vernon (which I just noticed I had missed updating), VA 123 between Tysons Corner and the GW Parkway, the short VA 338 in Falls Church, all of VA 110 by the Pentagon, and the short Spout Run Parkway and its VA 124 connector onto the GW Parkway.
  • And various segments in and around the Beltway on VA 120, VA 193, VA 236, VA 244, and VA 309 giving us a lot more filled in sections around the Beltway.

On the second trip, we got a little more around Beckley and then headed up to Summersville.  On the way back, we had some more time flexibility and took a more scenic route and picked up two new counties (Monroe, WV and Craig, VA).
  • Exited onto I-64 so we could take the US 19 exit into Beckley and look at the US 19 Bypass signs again.  This time, we cut over to US 19 and took it north to connect with our section from August.  Still have at least one more run through Beckley to finish up.
  • Connected our little WV 16 gap that I'd left the month before.
  • Did a little hop on / hop off through Mt. Nebo to get a few miles of WV 129 and WV 41.
  • Got WV 41 and WV 39 by circling through Summersville before leaving.
  • We had some mileage already of US 60 west of US 19, so we took it east on the way home out to I-64.
  • 13 more miles on I-64 as we came on at Exit 156 and took it east joining our previous connection from US 219 at Exit 169.
  • Exited onto WV 311 which got us both counties and turned into VA 311 and took us into Roanoke.
  • A little extra mileage as we got turned around in Salem before eventually getting over to VA 419 around Salem and bypassing Roanoke to US 220.
  • We've done that segment of US 220 down to Greensboro before.  Did do the business route through Rocky Mount.
  • Got the segment of US 58 between where US 220 breaks south and then when US 58 Business comes back on the east side of town.  We'd left that gap before when doing US 58 a couple of years back when we took the business route through town to get the city of Martinsville (those annoying independent VA cities).  We've just got a couple of small sections in Norfolk to do to complete US 58.
  • We have some of the roads in Danville and this time got VA 51 through town.  Got confused on what other segments were on the to-do list or we would have gotten more.  This did top 5,000 miles for us in VA after all of this.
  • Finishing NC 119 and the tiny segment of VA 119 on the way home the second time from WV.  Came up just short of my goal as we're sitting at 49.97% of NC roads.

Mike

Offline kjslaughter

• Last Login:March 21, 2024, 09:19:49 am
« Reply #346 on: September 29, 2019, 11:57:37 pm »
Figured after 3 or so years on the site and more with its predecessor, I'd finally add some notes on my travels.  I haven't gotten around the country as much as many of the rest of you, but I make for it in density.  Some of you may have noticed I'm currently ranked number one in Georgia.  That is in part because I'm in the middle of a project to visit and photograph the courthouse in all 159 counties!  (160 if you count former Campbell County south of Atlanta).  If anyone is curious, you can see pictures in my Facebook album https://www.facebook.com/justin.slaughter/media_set?set=a.10156186720659418&type=3

After my next trip to SE Georgia with my dad (probably next Spring), I will have visited all 159 counties, but still need to circle back to a few for courthouse pictures. After that, maybe I move on to Alabama, Tennessee, or North Carolina.  Guess we shall see!

I have a 6 year old son, so our trips of late are just to the beach.  This past summer, I was able to take a solo trip up to Kentucky Bluegrass region.  I do try to route my trips to catch as many different and new routes as I can, but honestly clinching routes is less important to me than just tracking all the places I've been in my 42 years of life so far.  I also of course hate taking the same route home as I took to get to a place.

Offline US 89

• Last Login:March 15, 2024, 08:50:53 am
« Reply #347 on: October 06, 2019, 01:11:36 am »
Recently drove from Atlanta down to Panama City Beach in Florida. In addition to picking up a new state (Alabama) and several new counties, I was able to get quite a bit of new mileage. Got a couple Florida route clinches in, and also clinched US 431 Business in Dothan, AL.

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:March 26, 2024, 02:31:28 pm
« Reply #348 on: October 07, 2019, 07:28:41 am »
Just back from the Seattle area. Added a few new-to-me routes and finished a couple clinches. Of the 450 miles I drove, only 80 was new mileage.

Finished clinches of WA96, WA164, WA515, WA516, WA524, and WA530
New routes clinched WA92, WA204, WA526, WA528, WA534, WA536, and WA538
Added mileage on WA20

Online oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:24:33 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #349 on: October 08, 2019, 06:34:18 pm »
I was on the road for most of the last two weeks, to get away from some disruptive electrical system upgrades to my apartment (work mostly completed, though I still need to clean up plaster/drywall dust everywhere). I basically drove down to Miami, then to Cincinnati, then back home through West Virginia.

I've covered, in combination with earlier trips, most or all TM-mapped routes in southern Florida (Manatee, Hardee, Highlands, Okeechobee, and Indian River counties, and everything to the south -- this includes Miami, but not Tampa/St. Pete or Orlando). On the way to and from Miami, I covered a lot of the parts of US 52 I hadn't already covered, including all of the route in South Carolina, though I'm still missing parts in North Carolina (emergency road closure) and Ohio (construction closures), as well as previous gaps in Illinois, Iowa, and Minnesota. I'm inching closer to 80% of the U.S. routes, though it'll take more than one additional trip to top that threshold, so not this year.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 07:21:09 pm by oscar »

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 16, 2024, 01:40:37 am
« Reply #350 on: October 08, 2019, 06:46:53 pm »
I covered a lot of the parts of US 52 I haven't already covered, including all of the route in South Carolina, though I'm still missing parts in North Carolina (emergency road closure) and Ohio (construction closures), as well as previous gaps in Illinois, Iowa, and Minnesota.

Don't do Iowa until after mid-2020 and Dubuque's Southwest Arterial opens. US 52 will change between 61/151 and 20/136.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #351 on: October 13, 2019, 02:07:04 pm »
I'm back from a 3-weeks-trip through Central Europe. I've been to Czechia, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina. In addition, I've visited Montenegro and Serbia for the first time. I've clinched czed and svna motorway systems (798mi + 337mi) and re-clincehd auta (1082mi). Of course, I got first TM mileage in SRB and MNE. In total, I have 4,121 more TM miles now - including loss in Poland due to the recent S6 opening. I also passed the 80,000 TM miles and my 43-months old car passed 200,000km.

I also drove the new A94 in Bavaria which was opened on October 1. I'm the TM pioneer here :)

btw: Congrats to panda80 for reaching 100,000 km and to emmaf for 12,000km - not bad for half-year-old! (she has more TM miles in ESP-AS and ESP-CL than me)

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:11:32 am
« Reply #352 on: October 13, 2019, 05:01:28 pm »
loss in Poland due to the recent S6 opening.
You'll get that back when I know the DW number they should have given the old DK6.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 08:55:56 pm
« Reply #353 on: October 13, 2019, 05:24:41 pm »
I also passed the 80,000 TM miles and my 43-months old car passed 200,000km.

Your car has quite a bit of life left in it :D
Mine's still holding strong at 220,000 miles! I intend it to see me through the clinching of Oregon :)

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #354 on: October 14, 2019, 03:52:40 pm »
loss in Poland due to the recent S6 opening.
You'll get that back when I know the DW number they should have given the old DK6.

DW108 :) https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=163284454&postcount=18437

Offline panda80

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 29, 2024, 07:57:27 am
« Reply #355 on: October 14, 2019, 04:48:59 pm »
btw: Congrats to panda80 for reaching 100,000 km and to emmaf for 12,000km - not bad for half-year-old! (she has more TM miles in ESP-AS and ESP-CL than me)

Thanks :) You forgot ESP-CB, she's the first one there :) We've had an epic 24 days travel through Germany (BY and BW), France, Spain (PV, CL, NC, CL, GA, AS, CB), then back to France and finally drove home through Switzerland, Austria and finally clinched also the last 0,7km of A96 in BY near the border with AT.

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 09, 2024, 02:19:30 am
« Reply #356 on: October 26, 2019, 05:32:29 pm »
I really should talk about all the travels I did over this past summer and fall (I was originally going to post about some of it sooner, but I accidentally pressed F5 while I was writing the post and lost everything I wrote, and was too frustrated to re-write the post). Yes, this is going to be a long post.

On Memorial Day weekend, on the way home from vacation at a beach house on Netarts Bay near Tillamook, Oregon, I drove US101 from Pacific City to Astoria. It was my first time driving the stretch of US 101 between Pacific City and Cannon Beach. I'd driven the section of US101 between Pacific City and Otter Rock (located between Depoe Bay and Newport) on August 21, 2017 when our family went to see the solar eclipse. Anyway, I continued north on US101 from Cannon Beach to Astoria, crossed over into Washington, continued north on US101, clinched the ~1 mile long US 101 Alt Ilwaco, and continued north on US101 to Raymond, where I turned east onto WA 6 in order to clinch that highway for the first time.

In early July, from July 5 thru July 13th, I took a roadtrip down the west coast to California and then to Nevada. On this trip, I took I-5 down to Portland, OR, clinched I-405 in Portland, and then continued south on I-5 and got off the freeway at OR 99W in the south part of town. I filmed a lot of the roadtrip and have started posting videos of it to YouTube; here's the first video:

Alright, so after driving through Portland, I headed southwest on OR99W until Newberg, where I got on the new Newberg-Dundee Bypass (OR 18), and continued west on OR 18 out to Lincoln City, where I then continued south on US101 all the way through the state. I filmed most of US 101 on the Oregon Coast and am currently working on the first video from the coast. As a result of this trip, I've now clinched US 101 in Oregon. Then I continued into California on US101, passing through the Redwoods at various points. I also clinched CA 254, aka Avenue of the Giants, enjoying the view of the redwood trees. At Leggett, I took CA 1 back out to the ocean and followed it all the way into San Francisco. In the Bay Area, I clinched I-980 and I-238, and drove parts of I-80, I-880, I-580, I-280, CA 1 and US101. I also drove across the Golden Gate Bridge, the Bay Bridge, and the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge.

Upon leaving San Francisco, I took I-280 south to CA 1, and followed CA 1 along the coast to Santa Cruz. Then I drove CA 17 over the Santa Cruz Mountains, as well as parts of CA 9 and CA 35 to get to my campsite for that night at Portola Redwoods State Park. The next day I continued on CA 1 through the Big Sur, and then hopped on US101 at San Luis Obispo, continued on the 101 to Ventura, then got back on the 1 (aka the PCH) from Ventura to Santa Monica. I continued on I-10 to the infamous 405, which I took to get to Garden Grove, which is where I stayed with some friends. After staying with them for two nights, I then proceeded to do some driving around LA. I clinched CA 110 and I-110 as well as taking CA 47 over the Vincent Thomas Bridge and then crossing the Gerald Desmond Bridge, whose replacement is currently under construction. After taking a quick look at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, I then made my way back up to downtown LA via the 110, and then took the 101 to the 10 to make my way out of the LA area, which was kinda slow due to traffic.

I then headed north on I-15 over Cajon Pass, heading to Las Vegas for the night. I planned to see Hoover Dam, then head through Death Valley to US 395, then head north on US 395 to CA 120, which would take me over Tioga Pass into Yosemite National Park. After checking out the park, my plan was to head back to I-5 via CA 120 and then take I-5 all the way back to Seattle. However, as I was driving up the mountain north of Baker, CA and still an hour out of Vegas, my car engine started making a rattling noise. Thinking it just needed more oil, I stopped at the next gas station and purchased some. However, this did not solve the problem, so I got it towed to a shop in Las Vegas. They looked at the car and told me that the engine was toast and would cost $4500 to replace, which was more than what my car (a 2001 Toyota Corolla with 180K miles) was worth. So I ultimately sold it to a junkyard for $200. And I had to take a flight home from Vegas. The lesson: Don't take an old car that burns oil on a long roadtrip and if you do, do a better job at monitoring the oil levels than I did. Anyway, I still had fun, it was great seeing the Oregon and California coasts. It was disappointing not to be able to see Yosemite and Death Valley, but it's probably better to visit those places in the fall when Yosemite is less busy and Death Valley is less hot.

Now, I should talk about my more recent travels that I took in the south. A year ago, my brother decided to move out to Columbia, SC, so we went out to visit him for a week earlier this month. We flew into Atlanta, and then spent that day checking out Atlanta a little bit, then the next day, we drove out to Savannah via I-75 and I-16. We saw Fort Pulaski, drove through downtown Savannah and left Savannah via US 17 to I-95. We then made our way to Charleston, staying at a house of someone my parents knew there. The next day my brother came out from Columbia, and we all did some sightseeing in Charleston, including taking the boat out to Fort Sumter. That evening, we drove up to Columbia, and my brother spent the next morning showing us around town and we also went to the state fair, where they had all the fried things you could imagine, even fried cookie dough, Oreos, and Reese's. :o (no we didn't eat all that stuff) We then went up to Greenville, and walked along the Reedy River, which runs through downtown Greenville.

Then we went up to Asheville, NC, and stayed at a hotel near there. The next morning, we drove the Blue Ridge Parkway up to Mount Mitchell, and then continued east on the Blue Ridge Parkway to NC 80 southeast through the Devil's Whip, a very windy stretch of road. After that, we made our way back to Asheville on I-40, had lunch, and then drove through the Appalachian Mountains along US 74 and then US 23 south into Georgia, eventually heading to the Road Atlanta raceway just northeast of Atlanta and saw the Petit Le Mans race that next day. He really likes watching races (not NASCAR) and this is one of the reasons why he moved to the south. At the end of the day, we said goodbye to my brother. The day after that we flew home to Seattle. It was a fun trip!

Anyway, hope you made it through all that. I'm all caught up on trip reports--for now.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:47:31 am
« Reply #357 on: October 27, 2019, 12:11:53 pm »
I'm back from my latest conference trip where I spoke about the METAL project (slides at http://courses.teresco.org/metal/talk.pdf until the next one, whenever that might be) at Robert Morris University near Pittsburgh.  My schedule allowed for me to drive it in the daylight on the way out to enjoy the scenery of the later part of the foliage season.

On the ride out, it was familiar territory on the Thruway and I-81 until I got off at New York 80, where I took New York 281 for the first time and traveled end to end.  From Cortland, I cut down to Ithaca, with a small side trip to get a few new miles on New York 38 and New York 366.  I took New York 13 through Ithaca, which was all new to me right to I-86 near Elmira.  It was I-86 over to Corning, where I picked up a chunk of New York 352 and lunch in their very lively downtown.  I then took my first ride on New York's stub of I-99 and followed US 15/Future I-99 down to Williamsport.  Is there anything other than a desire to connect with their existing I-99 that's stopping Pennsylvania from designating this stretch as I-99?  Seemed up to standards to my untrained eye.  From there, it was US 220 over to just west of Lock Haven, where I made my first ride on Pennsylvania 150.  It wasn't too much of a delay other than the 10-15 minutes in a long line of traffic following a large farm vehicle that we were unable to pass (it took about a lane and a half so oncoming traffic had to squeeze over too).  When I arrived at I-80, I continued straight where the road becomes Alt US 220, and took that to I-99 in Port Matilda, again a new route for me.  I had done I-99 before, and left that at Altoona to take US 22 over to Pittsburgh.  That was mostly quick, with a few frustrating towns filled with light after light for shopping center entrances.  I hit the tail end of Pittsburgh rush hour and had some delays where through traffic on I-376 needs to squeeze into a single lane a couple times.  Seems like a lousy job of utilizing their lanes but I am sure it's all done for a reason.

The conference did not start until after lunch on Friday, so after getting some work done at the hotel in the morning, I decided I had time for a little exploration.  Rather than going into the city, I opted to take US 22 over to Steubenville, Ohio, Ohio 7 up to East Liverpool, the US 30 back as far as Pennsylvania 576, then around the airport to get over to RMU in plenty of time.  This was all new mileage for me except a small piece of I-376.

After the conference wrapped up on Saturday afternoon, I took a bit of Pennsylvania 51 and 151 to get back to I-376, then finished my remaining mileage on that road to get up to I-80.  Rather than going right to I-79, I took US 19 up through Mercer, rejoining I-79 near Meadville.  I-79 up to I-90, where I decided I was making good enough time to hop up to US 20 to pick up some new miles between Harborcreek Twp and Fredonia.  It was all Thruway from there, with the exception of a crazy drive-thru line at the Cheektowaga Chick-fil-A and failed attempts to get wings at the Anchor Bar and Duff's locations on Transit.  I ended up with some good Thai food nearby because both wings places had lines out the door.  Then a dark, rainy, but uneventful trip across the state on the Thruway got me home.

Roadgeek accomplishments: 8 new counties in 4 different states.  A little over 450 miles in my TM stats, including 70+ miles in usai and 260+ in usaus.  In usany, I traveled 3 routes for the first time and finished up 2 routes.  First miles on 9 routes in usapa.

It was almost all new miles for my car (TM user a3), which went from about 1650 TM miles to nearly 2600.  Since I'd never taken the car on a trip toward the west before, the trace of this trip is very evident from http://travelmapping.net/user/mapview.php?units=miles&u=a3&rg=NY,PA,OH,WV

Offline dave1693

• Last Login:November 21, 2023, 11:28:54 pm
« Reply #358 on: October 27, 2019, 08:45:09 pm »
Multiple trips between eastern PA and the DC FedroSplat in the past month for me have yielded more new mileage.

New clinches: PA 182, PA 216, PA 772, PA 851, PA 944, PA 997, MD 88, MD 200, MD 206 (newly signed in 2019), VA 55

New segments but not clinched: PA 72, PA 74, PA 147, PA 230, PA 233, PA 274, PA 325, PA 849, PA 850

There should be plenty of opportunity for me to get a bit more new mileage in the next couple of months, though travel will still be mostly US East Coast.

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 09, 2024, 02:19:30 am
« Reply #359 on: November 07, 2019, 11:21:36 am »
Multiple trips between eastern PA and the DC FedroSplat in the past month for me have yielded more new mileage.

What is the FedroSplat? I keep seeing that term used here but cannot find a definition when I Google it. In fact some of the Google search results take me back to this website.