Author Topic: MD: US 40 Point Request  (Read 3896 times)

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 07:50:30 am
MD: US 40 Point Request
« on: December 08, 2019, 04:15:14 pm »
I probably should have requested the Rolling Rd (RolRd) point back in April when I mentioned adding it to MD 26.  I traveled US 40 here from Rolling Rd to Cooks Ln (CooLn) to help me clarify that I truly clinched MD 122.

Secondarily, I am surprised not to see a point for the Patapsco Valley State Park.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
Re: MD: US 40 Point Request
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 05:36:29 pm »
I probably should have requested the Rolling Rd (RolRd) point back in April when I mentioned adding it to MD 26.  I traveled US 40 here from Rolling Rd to Cooks Ln (CooLn) to help me clarify that I truly clinched MD 122.

Will add. Really should have been some point in that vicinity anyway for shaping so hey, double bird kill.

Secondarily, I am surprised not to see a point for the Patapsco Valley State Park.

I'm not surprised, considering there is no formal guidance that state park entrances should be included as points. But there is some sense to doing so and it's easy enough to add while I'm editing US 40 anyway so in it goes.

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 08:47:04 pm »
Thanks for adding the point quickly so I do not have to wait to make my list file correct.

I'm not surprised, considering there is no formal guidance that state park entrances should be included as points. But there is some sense to doing so and it's easy enough to add while I'm editing US 40 anyway so in it goes.

Otherwise I just wanted to quote the manual for national and state park entrances.

http://travelmapping.net/devel/manual/includepts.php

Other major highways that serve regional (not only local) travelers:
Road (not driveway/parking lot) to a national or state-level park, major airport, or popular tourist attraction.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 08:55:54 pm by Markkos1992 »

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 08:52:59 pm »
Somehow I read right past that. Okay, well, so I did the codifiedly right thing!

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 09:00:56 pm »
Somehow I read right past that. Okay, well, so I did the codifiedly right thing!

I thought I had not even posted that yet as I was looking at the Labeling Waypoints page. I was thinking of possibly proposing to move where the park labels are mentioned, but I cannot fully justify it to myself yet to put in the ongoing manual thread.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 09:55:14 pm »
My past modus operandi is that I will ignore state park points unless specifically requested or it meets a shaping point criteria.  The manual is contradictory in this sense given that many (most?) state parks are "minor tourist attractions, or destinations not regularly used by regional traveler".

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:36:37 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 11:28:56 pm »
My past modus operandi is that I will ignore state park points unless specifically requested or it meets a shaping point criteria.  The manual is contradictory in this sense given that many (most?) state parks are "minor tourist attractions, or destinations not regularly used by regional traveler".

I'm at the other end of the spectrum, really partial to including state/provincial/territorial park points (much more selective about county or other local parks). But in some places, like along the California coast, there are so many parks that I don't try to include them all.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 01:34:02 am »
My past modus operandi is that I will ignore state park points unless specifically requested or it meets a shaping point criteria.
Same here. Alberta especially comes to mind. Tourist attractions and signed facilities got waypoints as needed for shaping or to break up VISIBLE_DISTANCE segments. I may have violated the "(not driveway/parking lot)" guideline in the process, but, darnit... shaping! Visible distance!

I'm at the other end of the spectrum, really partial to including state/provincial/territorial park points (much more selective about county or other local parks).
I've been slowly maintaining a file for my parents' travels, and noticed they've been heavy on the state/provincial and national parks. Parks more distant from plotted routes can involve entering/leaving at county or other local roads not included as waypoints.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 01:37:36 am by yakra »
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca