Author Topic: Summer 2021 HDX development  (Read 6723 times)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:14:53 pm
Summer 2021 HDX development
« on: June 30, 2021, 12:14:52 pm »
We're doing some major development for the algorithm visualization system in HDX.  For those using it just to look at graph data or data in other formats, what your maps and how they get loaded looks like will be different.  We have no intent to break any functionality, but it's certainly possible we missed something.

The current development version is being maintained in https://courses.teresco.org/metal/hdxt/ and is updated pretty frequently.  Assuming all major problems get ironed out, the production HDX will become the final such new version at the end of the summer.

For now, I'd like a quick check from those who use it to make sure you can do what you need and that the new UI is at least not a problem, even if not an improvement from your perspective.  One of our goals is to simplify and clarify the process by which a student goes from landing on the main page to running the algorithm visualization they want on an appropriate graph.

One known problem that will be fixed is that the table of waypoints and connections is hidden by default and can only be restored once an algorithm visualization is selected.  There will be a checkbox to hide/show that along with one to hide/show markers before this goes to production.  I am curious if people would prefer the data tables to be shown by default when viewing a TMG graph.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
Re: Summer 2021 HDX development
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 12:31:03 pm »
Is it possible to get back to the start dialog without reloading the url?

The manual needs to be updated once it will be live, e.g. https://travelmapping.net/devel/manual/syserr.php#nearmisspoint

Offline vespertine

• Last Login:January 15, 2024, 09:49:44 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 05:34:40 pm »
Is this why I'm having issues with some pages loading?

So to clarify, I mostly use TM via my mobile device. I've noticed within the past week or two that the pages for states with larger amounts of data (Pennsylvania, Kentucky, etc.) will crash my browser, with the stats loading up, but crashing as the map is loading. Smaller systems (DC up through Louisiana) I have no issues. I've tried different browsers with the same results. Also, If I use TM via desktop, I have no issues. I don't know that much about the nitty gritty of the tech involved (either TM or cell phones), but I thought maybe this might be it.

v.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 10:01:06 pm »
I didn't experience crashes, but the mapview page went unresponsive and never loaded data for sys=eure. Desktop.

On lab5 (Xeon E3-1230), https://travelmapping.net/user/mapview.php?u=michih&sys=eure takes about 35s to load. Desktop may have just needed more patience?
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 10:47:57 pm »
No changes have been made to the production HDX.

I updated the version of Leaflet in the process of adding some map tiles and removing some old ones, but I don't think any of TM's main web-facing code changed other than that.

My students noted some general network sluggishness earlier in the week.  I don't think that was specific to TM or our server.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 11:18:01 am »
Speaking of Mapview, I'm finding it very difficult to select regions of interest to me, in part because my third mouse wheel does not scroll the list (it scrolls the map background), but on my laptop it also only shows 4 options to begin with...makes it hard to scroll up and down to pick out the regions I want to select to view.  Nevermind that it's organized alphabetically so the U.S. is very near the bottom.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 11:29:57 am »
Speaking of Mapview, I'm finding it very difficult to select regions of interest to me, in part because my third mouse wheel does not scroll the list (it scrolls the map background), but on my laptop it also only shows 4 options to begin with...makes it hard to scroll up and down to pick out the regions I want to select to view.  Nevermind that it's organized alphabetically so the U.S. is very near the bottom.

I'm definitely open to UI suggestions to help with that.