Author Topic: New Mapview on tmtest  (Read 11204 times)

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:43:23 am
Re: New Mapview on tmtest
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2020, 04:06:32 pm »
To me, this is more of a mobile device feature anyway.

I think it's also a nice feature on the notebook when you are in a hotel on a roadtrip.

I tried it on my phone. The message that the website wants to get my location appears earlier. Already when I load the page, not when I press the button. And it does also not work. I get a "timeout error" now.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:57:32 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2020, 04:21:49 pm »
For the legend, it might be useful to show full system names rather than abbreviations.  Granted, that would make the legend larger and a bit more obtrusive... but there's a checkbox to turn that on and off anyways.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2020, 04:31:20 pm »
For the legend, it might be useful to show full system names rather than abbreviations.  Granted, that would make the legend larger and a bit more obtrusive... but there's a checkbox to turn that on and off anyways.
Thought about that too. Maybe use the system code on the legend, with the full name in a tooltip upon mouseover?

I was actually pretty surprised that my home network through Spectrum pinpoints my location down to the marker being over my house.  To me, this is more of a mobile device feature anyway.
Yikes...  ???

Related question.  What's more obtrusive: the marker being on every map to show your current location if it's detected, even when you don't really care about it, or a checkbox on each page that has maps to enable/disable the feature?
I'd prefer having the checkbox.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:54:59 pm
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2020, 04:36:56 pm »
Currently on tmtest, any map that gets created is set to query location periodically (just using default frequency, whatever that is, which might be device-dependent).  So if you haven't already enabled location for your browser for the site, it should ask then.  I don't know why it would ask a second time when you try to get the position from Mapview's popup unless you don't click the "remember this" type of option.

So has anyone other than me been able to choose your location in the Mapview popup, or see your location on all the maps?  I've added some console log messages, so if anyone is willing to try it out and can let me know if you're seeing some messages in the console, it might help figure out if I'm doing something incorrectly here.  This is what I see in Firefox on successful use of geolocation in Mapview, with the last message repeated each time it queries my location again:

Code: [Select]
Enabling map.locate tmjsfuncs.js:316:13
mapLocationFound: created marker at LatLng(42.956189, -74.199605) tmjsfuncs.js:294:10
mapLocationFound: updated marker to LatLng(42.956189, -74.199605) tmjsfuncs.js:298:10
mapLocationFound: updated marker to LatLng(42.956183, -74.199612) tmjsfuncs.js:298:10
mapLocationFound: updated marker to LatLng(42.956191, -74.199624) tmjsfuncs.js:298:10

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:10:15 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2020, 04:56:50 pm »
I was actually pretty surprised that my home network through Spectrum pinpoints my location down to the marker being over my house.  To me, this is more of a mobile device feature anyway.

Related question.  What's more obtrusive: the marker being on every map to show your current location if it's detected, even when you don't really care about it, or a checkbox on each page that has maps to enable/disable the feature?

I'd prefer the latter, so I can disable the feature. I rarely run Mapview for the region where I am at the moment, more often to look ahead to a region I plan to travel at a later date, or where I'm maintaining route files.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2020, 10:37:14 pm »
I've got a toggle in there now, will save its value in a cookie after I fix the problem with cookies noted in https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/issues/486 .

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:57:32 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2020, 11:48:55 pm »
I've got a toggle in there now, will save its value in a cookie after I fix the problem with cookies noted in https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/issues/486 .
Would it be possible to move the button to select the map style down a bit?  For me, part of it is cut off by the top bar (now that I've noticed it, I see it did this even before the current location checkbox was implemented, but only when mousing over to select a style, not all the time).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 03:02:20 pm by vdeane »
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2020, 03:01:24 am »
It works. Love it! :) However, the marker is about 8 meter of from the router and about 10 meter from my notebook :D

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2020, 10:51:33 pm »
There's now a checkbox on Mapview and the top of the HB to enable/disable the marker for your current location, and the setting is remembered in a cookie.

I'm hoping to get this along with the fix, which should be transparent to users, to set cookies properly for secure connections, up onto the main site early Monday so I can move on to the next tasks.

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:March 27, 2024, 09:35:08 pm
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2020, 11:28:07 pm »
Any way to change default location? I'm not saying the Albany area's bad, but...
Completed:
* Systems: DC, WI
* by US State: AR: I&; AZ: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I*; NE: I; NJ, I; OH: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI; (AR, IN pending expansions.)

*Previously completed

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:10:15 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2020, 11:47:47 pm »
Any way to change default location? I'm not saying the Albany area's bad, but...

I have my Mapview bookmark defaulting to show California, though it does start off centered on Siena College before taking me to California or some other region.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2020, 01:55:43 am »
Is it feasible to start off at the location in the cookie, then reset the map to whatever other location, with no cookie -> Siena?
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2020, 04:27:05 am »

I think that there must be any default. Should it be at 0°/0°?

Is it feasible to start off at the location in the cookie, then reset the map to whatever other location, with no cookie -> Siena?

A "last coords" cookie (don't like!) or a cookie just for the personal default (don't like!)?

I'd leave it as-is....

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:50:09 pm
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2020, 05:11:53 am »
I think that there must be any default. Should it be at 0°/0°?
Being presented with just the Gulf of Guinea and nothing else on the map would definitely have people type in where they want, rather than scroll!

Sienna's fine, though the option to set a different default also works for me.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2020, 08:47:33 am »
The cookie is only to remember the checkbox setting to enable or disable the current location marker.  Since the only time the Siena location (centered right on my office, BTW, in case anyone wants to stop by, post-pandemic) is used it in Mapview before a location is selected or when bad parameters are presented, I haven't been too worried about it.  Maybe the most useful thing would be to make the default location in the popup fill in by default with the currently-detected location on initial load, when that info is available.  I'm also open to a "default start location" kind of thing in a cookie that could be implemented as part of the control panel as proposed in https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/issues/351 .