Author Topic: usatr: United States select tourist routes  (Read 4079 times)

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:Yesterday at 06:36:06 pm
Re: usatr: United States select tourist routes
« Reply #150 on: Yesterday at 06:36:06 pm »
Not exactly trying to drop a new bomb in here, but what about adding the 49-mile drive in SF? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/49-Mile_Scenic_Drive

This is exactly the type of thing I absolutely do not want this system to scope creep into including. Random insignificant local nonsense that happens to have some signs, as opposed to the major multi-state spanning stuff like Great River Road that was the impetus for the system's creation.

I think San Franciscans might have some quibbles with your assertion that anything in The City is insignificant. :)

Insignificant might have been a somewhat controversial word choice.

I assumed this system to be "National" tourist routes which would be definition exclude state or local scenic/routes. My home state of Ohio has quite a few "scenic byways" that do not cross state lines. They don't belong is this system either. Admittedly, most are part of the existing state route system, but any portions that are not should be omitted.

There could be additional national routes worth including, but if the base criteria are that the route must be signed and exist in multiple states, that should limit the system to a reasonable scope.

Offline shiggins

• Last Login:Yesterday at 10:39:34 pm
Re: usatr: United States select tourist routes
« Reply #151 on: Yesterday at 10:23:35 pm »
I found another signed spur of the GRR in Atlas, IL. It is signed west along U.S. 54 toward "Pike Station River Access." This implies that the spur continues at least as far as 256th Street and maybe to Ralphs Landing Road or the Two Rivers Marina, but there are no signs in Pike Station or anywhere off IL 96 as far as I can tell.

I suspect there are more of these poorly but unambiguously signed spurs scattered all along the Illinois portion of the GRR in equally unlikely places, but I don't have time to look around for more tonight. I have only driven the stretch of the GRR from I-72 south to Mozier, so I can only safely say that there are not any additional spurs on that stretch beyond the three I have mentioned.