Author Topic: Nevada Outlook  (Read 2883 times)

Offline cl94

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:43:37 am
Nevada Outlook
« on: July 03, 2023, 12:23:26 am »
Making a list of all the upcoming Nevada projects that are likely to affect TM. All of these projects are pulled from Nevada's STIP and federal work program. That is, they're all funded and construction is almost certain.

Second half of 2023 to first half of 2024- lucky for us, all of the super important medium-term projects are in here
  • I-11 extension: AASHTO approved extending I-11 north along US 95 to NV 157. This will take replace all of I-515 and we're waiting on new signs at this point. NDOT plans to have the new signs installed in Fall 2023. As of now, NDOT is not even showing I-11 internally along this extension.
  • CC 215 --> I-215: Transfer and re-designation will occur when the Centennial Bowl reconstruction is complete, likely in the first half of 2024.
  • Mileage swaps related to I-215: Unknown what exactly will change as a result of Nevada DOT taking over CC 215, but it is very likely that it will involve a mileage swap with surface roads in Clark County given how this state operates. This is something to watch and update as more info is released.

Out to 2026 (and beyond if funded)
  • NV 341 realignment: RTC Washoe has funding allotted to realign the north/west end of NV 341 to intersect US 395A south of NV 431. This will shorten NV 341 by about 1/4 mile; unlikely that anything else will change with this.
  • US 395 between I-80 and CA line: Biggest impact will be to the 6lane file, but worth watching this segment closely as this has the last references to the US 395 Reno business route along an NDOT road, so it may warrant a discussion about what to do with US395BusRen if replacements lack any references to the BR.
  • I-15 new/relocated interchange: Unclear at this time if this will be a relocated Exit 25, a new Exit 26, or replacing Exit 25 with a new Exit 26, but there's a new interchange coming between current Exits 25 and 27.
  • Reno Spaghetti Bowl and I-80 Nugget Viaduct: Still undergoing final design, but will involve an extension of the 6-lane portion and potentially interchange point relocations
  • I-11/515 new interchange: new HOV interchange coming at City Parkway.

Offline cl94

• TM Collaborator
Re: Nevada Outlook
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 12:42:13 am »
We're probably looking at Q1 2024 for I-11 north to NV 157. I can confirm that, as of November, signs have been installed along I-15 SB reflecting I-11's extension. I-515/US 95 itself had no reference to the extension, while CC 215 had covered I-11 shields. Newspaper report: https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/news-columns/road-warrior/i-11-footprint-to-grow-in-southern-nevada-2967497/

IMO, at least one of four things needs to occur to make the change here, none of which has happened yet:

• NDOT deletes IR 515 and replaces with IR 11 on their GIS. There is currently no reference to IR 11/ I-11 north of I-215 in any internal databases apart from ITS infrastructure
  • NDOT shows IR 11 as extending north of I-215 in the route log
  • I-11 signs start showing up en masse north/west of I-15
  • NDOT puts out a press release saying the change occurred

Still no word on CC 215, but construction is substantially complete. AFAIK, NDOT has not yet submitted an application to extend I-215. Given how long it took for the southeast leg to be added to the state highway system, it is possible that other relinquishments may not occur for years.

It probably makes the most sense to keep I-515 as an alternate name for I-11

Offline cl94

• TM Collaborator
Re: Nevada Outlook
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 12:58:13 am »
New Nevada route log came out at the beginning of the year and is linked here: https://www.dot.nv.gov/doing-business/about-ndot/ndot-divisions/planning/roadway-systems/state-maintained-highways-descriptions-index-maps

Nothing major in there that hasn't already been accounted for. A note was added saying that a redesignation of I-515 as I-11 is imminent, but it has not yet occurred. Weirdly, a short segment of SR 529 in Carson City was added back into the system, but it is unsigned as of last week and entirely concurrent with US 395 Business. If signs are put up for SR 529, it will be added. The disconnected northern segment of SR 596 that was added last year is remaining out pending confirmation that it has become signed. It is possible that it will never be signed, as SR 596 is a route that is being uploaded in segments for reconstruction and then quickly relinquished.