User Discussions > Other Discussion

Unsigned State Routes

<< < (20/21) > >>

Jim:
Would it be helpful for me to put these, temporarily, into a devel system so people can check them out more easily?

oscar:
Another form of qualifying "route signage" might be postmiles/mileposts used in California and Nevada, like this pair in Nevada at the border between Douglas County and independent Carson City:

http://www.alaskaroads.com/DouglasCoNV-CarsonCity-border-postmiles_DSC7713.jpg

Both signs are about waist-high, and identify the route (US 50) on which they are located. The Nevada signs are similar to California's postmiles.

There is at least one route already in the HB, near Wells NV, that appears to have nothing resembling route signage other than mileposts like those shown above at the Carson City line.

Some of California's unsigned state routes might also have regular postmiles, which I'll have to check out later. California's urban routes normally don't have postmiles. A more likely place to look would be something like CA 222 in Ukiah.

Lately, Nevada has been replacing mileposts on some routes with much larger versions, including mini-route markers, as here on NV 173 near Boulder City:

http://www.alaskaroads.com/NV173mm(CL)0-DSC_1972.jpg

I've only seen the enlarged Nevada mileposts on routes also marked with conventional route markers, such as the one in the background of the above photo, next to the parked RV.

vdeane:
Postmiles (except the newer Nevada ones that look kinda like enhanced milemarkers) strike me as similar to the NY reference markers.  I guess the question is how extensively Nevada is replacing the older postmiles with the larger versions - is that something that will be intended for use everywhere eventually, or will it always be on certain routes only?

Duke87:

--- Quote from: vdeane on March 08, 2021, 10:56:35 pm ---Postmiles (except the newer Nevada ones that look kinda like enhanced milemarkers) strike me as similar to the NY reference markers.  I guess the question is how extensively Nevada is replacing the older postmiles with the larger versions - is that something that will be intended for use everywhere eventually, or will it always be on certain routes only?

--- End quote ---

There are already relatively minor routes that have gotten enhanced postmiles, so it doesn't seem to be a deliberately limited thing. Whether any otherwise unsigned routes will get them remains to be seen, but I don't think Nevada has very many of those.

formulanone:
I forgot that Illinois has a number of these routes (I.D. Routes), especially in the 900-range. There's a state-wide mile marker system and the route number is listed above the post mile; so there's usually a start "0.00" and ending mileage marker. They're former alignments, former state routes, or other connections of local importance.

I'm unclear if they're state-maintained or actually part of a secondary system. Some of them even have a county road/route number, further muddying these things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version