User Discussions > Other Discussion

Region with most mileage is somewhere you've never lived?

<< < (2/6) > >>

formulanone:
I have more mileage in Texas than in Alabama (where I've lived for 8 years), but less than Florida (lived for 30 years). I could probably count 4-6 months of my working life in Texas, just never more than two weeks at a time before departing. If Farm/Ranch-to-Market roads were included – seems like a mammoth task and undertaking – it would probably eclipse my Florida mileage totals.

Not many adjacent states are low on mileage; I don't get a lot of work in South Carolina compared to North Carolina and Georgia, which explains a lack of clinched miles. But the same goes for Mississippi and Kentucky; however, they're on the way to other destinations so it's easier to pick up miles there.

I tend to marvel at the overall percentage of Rhode Island mileage I've attained, for only 5-6 visits, mostly as a cheaper flight option to the greater Boston area. Or that nearly every trip to Indiana seems to net me 300-400 new miles a week, which is just the random "work slot machine" at play. 

michih:

--- Quote from: formulanone on March 27, 2021, 11:28:02 am ---If a Farm/Ranch-to-Market roads were included – seems like a mammoth task and undertaking
--- End quote ---

There are already more than 3,000 route files on Github.... They are just not yet visible in HB with devel status.

https://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=2275

SSOWorld:
DELETE! (Thought I had this scenario, I do not)

Jim:
I'm not even close to this scenario.  New York leads second-place Florida by over 2000 miles and third-place Texas by 500 more.

kjslaughter:
No where close to this yet for me.  Georgia has been my home since 3rd grade/1985 and combined with my recently completed effort to visit every county courthouse, it's in a huge lead.  My next biggest state is Alabama where I was born and the next courthouse target.  But it's smaller areas and state highway system means it will never pass Georgia.  In fact, as I look, I doubt any of my neighboring states will ever pass Georgia unless y'all add all the lower tier state highways in NC.

As for neighbors, Tennessee is surprisingly small at only 1,066 miles.  I've spent more time going through Tennessee than it being the destination itself might explain it being the lowest mileage of my neighbors.  That and frequent trips to Chattanooga area don't give you many miles just over state line.

Much more interesting is the lowest mileage state on my list of New Jersey at 2.46 miles.  When I went to Philadelphia several years ago, I drove across the Walt Whitman Bridge, turned around and came back just to say I had been to Jersey.  Similar excursion to Delaware, but I actually visited sites in Wilmington that day so I got almost 20 miles!  I'm sure situations like that are very common stories with this group though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version