User Discussions > Other Discussion

The worst clinchable road in the US

<< < (3/4) > >>

kjslaughter:
I can't help but notice on OpenStreetMap, the name of the road on the southern end is "Dinky Road".

I've been on some bad roads before, but nothing like this and certainly not a state highway.

mapcat:

--- Quote from: kjslaughter on August 11, 2021, 11:46:28 am ---I can't help but notice on OpenStreetMap, the name of the road on the southern end is "Dinky Road".

--- End quote ---

I saw that too, and assumed it was a typo for "Hinky Road".

w9tam:
I ran across this thread linked in another more recent post (my apologies if I shouldn't bring it back from the dead). But NM165 remains the only road I decided not to clinch, not even chancing it in a rental car. I started proceeding down from Sandia Peak, past the large "MOUNTAINOUS UNIMPROVED ROAD AHEAD NO TURN AROUND" sign, then encountered a downed tree maybe a half-mile later. I put the car in reverse back up the hill and said "well, guess that's not happening today."

GMSV imagery also ends rather abruptly before the spot where I saw the tree. I do see three TM users have clinched it, though! ;D

Jim:

--- Quote from: w9tam on January 19, 2023, 07:29:48 pm ---I ran across this thread linked in another more recent post (my apologies if I shouldn't bring it back from the dead). But NM165 remains the only road I decided not to clinch, not even chancing it in a rental car. I started proceeding down from Sandia Peak, past the large "MOUNTAINOUS UNIMPROVED ROAD AHEAD NO TURN AROUND" sign, then encountered a downed tree maybe a half-mile later. I put the car in reverse back up the hill and said "well, guess that's not happening today."

GMSV imagery also ends rather abruptly before the spot where I saw the tree. I do see three TM users have clinched it, though! ;D

--- End quote ---

My clinch was almost 20 years ago - I don't remember details but know I was able to make the ride without incident.  I guess it's good I got it when I did.

Duke87:
I'm one of those users who has clinched NM 165 and indeed the relative lack of documentation of it plus it being apparently sketchy made me want to go check it out.

The unpaved section of the road is mostly dirt with some rocks, the biggest issue is in some places it is fairly uneven with some pretty big ditches eroded through it. Because of this, it would NOT be safely passable in a sedan, you do need a vehicle with a little more ground clearance - but I made it through in a Ford EcoSport and that was sufficient.

My pictures of the unpaved section start here: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10101030377182982&set=a.10101030379124092

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version