Highway Data Discussion > Updates to Highway Data

NY: I-495 Exit Numbers

(1/3) > >>

Markkos1992:
1.   Should the 69th St/Grand Ave interchange have its own number (19A)?
2.   23B should be 22B or 22C.
3.   Are we missing a graph connection at the Northern State Pkwy connection between 45 and 46?  (unnumbered interchange makes me want to go no-build if possible)
4.   Do you consider the eastbound on-ramp east of Pinelawn Rd as part of Exit 49?
5.   Should 54 be 53A?

yakra:

--- Quote from: Markkos1992 on October 14, 2021, 12:41:38 pm ---1.   Should the 69th St/Grand Ave interchange have its own number (19A)?

--- End quote ---
I'm fine with leaving it out. There's no access to/from the west. Westbound drivers will exit the mainline at 19 anyway, so I don't see need to add a new point.
Even though I'm more inclined to think of C/D roads as part of the route than frontage roads.
I'm receptive to being outvoted here. Eastbound, there is an entrance just E of 80th St, so there's that. Hmm...

--- Quote from: Markkos1992 on October 14, 2021, 12:41:38 pm ---2.   23B should be 22B or 22C.

--- End quote ---
Going with 22C, the less ambiguous of the two.

--- Quote from: Markkos1992 on October 14, 2021, 12:41:38 pm ---3.   Are we missing a graph connection at the Northern State Pkwy connection between 45 and 46?  (unnumbered interchange makes me want to go no-build if possible)

--- End quote ---
Yeah, unnumbered interchanges on otherwise exit-numbered routes are ugly, though I've sometimes done them.
The entrance ramps do kind of fill in the missing movements from the Exit 45 interchange, in typical NYC metro area geometry-and-ROW-constraints Breezewoody fashion. I'm sort of inclined to think of it as part of the Exit 45 complex in that respect.
One possibility is to move exit 45 to the Parkway, though that'd be a bit awkward relative to what's signed Exit 45, as it's positioned now.
No-build is another possibility. We can still follow indirectly with one more connection via NY135. Not the least convenient thing in the world.

--- Quote from: Markkos1992 on October 14, 2021, 12:41:38 pm ---4.   Do you consider the eastbound on-ramp east of Pinelawn Rd as part of Exit 49?

--- End quote ---
Ick. There is that other EB onramp right there at NY110 itself, sort of implying this is something different. Not quite comfortable calling it 49A, as it's not signed as part of Exit 49 (or, well, anything).
Heck, call it part of Exit 49. It complements the WB Exit 49N ramp, putting it right there in the same footprint. 1PPI. One interchange, multiple ramps. I've occasionally done similar things in Texas.

--- Quote from: Markkos1992 on October 14, 2021, 12:41:38 pm ---5.   Should 54 be 53A?

--- End quote ---
Changed locally.

Markkos1992:

--- Quote ---
--- Quote from: Markkos1992 on October 14, 2021, 12:41:38 pm ---3.   Are we missing a graph connection at the Northern State Pkwy connection between 45 and 46?  (unnumbered interchange makes me want to go no-build if possible)

--- End quote ---
Yeah, unnumbered interchanges on otherwise exit-numbered routes are ugly, though I've sometimes done them.
The entrance ramps do kind of fill in the missing movements from the Exit 45 interchange, in typical NYC metro area geometry-and-ROW-constraints Breezewoody fashion. I'm sort of inclined to think of it as part of the Exit 45 complex in that respect.
One possibility is to move exit 45 to the Parkway, though that'd be a bit awkward relative to what's signed Exit 45, as it's positioned now.
No-build is another possibility. We can still follow indirectly with one more connection via NY135. Not the least convenient thing in the world.
--- End quote ---

I think you could get me to agree with adding a 46A at the Parkway.

I wonder how many travelers are currently using the 37A label on the Northern State Parkway.

yakra:

--- Quote from: Markkos1992 on October 14, 2021, 02:44:35 pm ---I wonder how many travelers are currently using the 37A label on the Northern State Parkway.

--- End quote ---
3 -- dharwood & snowedin have I-495 solidly marked off thru the area and would only need this point in the unlikely case they exited @ 45 & re-entered via the Parkway, while nezinscot may be able to use a point here.

Duke87:
Looking at the situation I think I-495 needs a point where it crosses the Northern State. Not just for graph connection but because this is a distinct interchange, albeit one that happens to only have entrance ramps from 495's perspective.

So I would add a point here but given its position it would be called 45A (not 46A).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version