Highway Data Discussion > Updates to Highway Data

NY: I-495 Exit Numbers

<< < (3/3)

Duke87:

--- Quote from: yakra on January 17, 2022, 05:38:01 pm ---"Double half" terminology aside, this meets neither the "clear gap of at least 0.5 mi/0.8 km separat[ing] the two halves" nor the "each half connects to a different highway that we are also mapping" criteria.
--- End quote ---

So, methinks we need to define "double half interchange". When I see that term I think of something like this, where what cleanly functions as a single interchange with all ramps serving the same destination(s) is split in two. I would not interpret the 495/NSP situation as being "double half" at all since the two "halves" serve different destinations.

As for the "it's a Breezewood" argument, it isn't really in this case because exit 45 is not signed as nor does it logically serve as completing a missing connection to the NSP from 495. The missing connection that could be made here is served directly by exit 42, and if you missed that or got on east of there it can be made without exiting to local streets via NY 135 at exit 44.

Nonetheless, a manual revision to better define this term would be worthwhile IMO.

--- Quote ---I could be talked into moving the point onto the NSP per "use one central point" grounds. Only nezinscot is using NY I-495 45; this would make his travels nice & continuous on mapview.

--- End quote ---

Okay, this definitely validates the need for a point where the two highways cross.

So, moving the point for 45 would be better than the status quo, at least, though still a less robust solution than creating a separate point.

Markkos1992:
Speaking of I-495/Northern State Pkwy connectors, should the 35A point on the Northern State Pkwy be just plain I-495 or I-495(42)?

rickmastfan67:

--- Quote from: Duke87 on January 16, 2022, 01:36:07 am ---Looking at the situation I think I-495 needs a point where it crosses the Northern State. Not just for graph connection but because this is a distinct interchange, albeit one that happens to only have entrance ramps from 495's perspective.

--- End quote ---

I'm also in the camp that there 100% should be a graph connection between Northern State Parkway & I-495 there.

Especially when you factor in the 'educational' part of the project for Jim, where he needs graph connections for his classes.

This is 100% a legit connection between the two.  So what if I-495 doesn't have ramps 'to' the Norther State Parkway?  Even just 1 ramp directly connecting the two (w/o any intermediate intersection breaking it up) is justification IMO for a graph connection.

Take a look @ I-70 & E470 in CO.  We have a single ramp there from NB E470 to WB I-70, but we have a graph connection.  Why not here too?

Also, look @ '35A' on the 'Northern State Parkway'.  Same situation as I-495 (2 on-ramps, no off-ramps), except there's a point here in the file.  Only difference is there's no legit graph connection here because the highways stay on separate paths.  In fact, you could say that those other ramps @ 37A are the 'sister' ramps for these @ 35A.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version