Highway Data Discussion > Updates to Highway Data

NY: I-495 Exit Numbers

<< < (2/3) > >>

Markkos1992:

--- Quote from: Duke87 on January 16, 2022, 01:36:07 am ---Looking at the situation I think I-495 needs a point where it crosses the Northern State. Not just for graph connection but because this is a distinct interchange, albeit one that happens to only have entrance ramps from 495's perspective.

So I would add a point here but given its position it would be called 45A (not 46A).

--- End quote ---

45A is fine.  I guess I got confused by the OSM exit numbers.

yakra:
The (lack of) graph connection is not a dealbreaker IMO. This is all right next to NY135, so it only takes 2 more mouse clicks to navigate from one route to the other.
It's less clear cut on being a distinct interchange too -- part of a larger flyswatter complex with some movements indirect or Breezewooded out. Compare South Portland.

Duke87:

--- Quote from: yakra on January 16, 2022, 10:06:16 pm ---It's less clear cut on being a distinct interchange too -- part of a larger flyswatter complex with some movements indirect or Breezewooded out. Compare South Portland.

--- End quote ---

I mean, South Portland has a point everywhere that two roads meet, though it also doesn't have any points where one road only has entrances and no exit. What exactly is the intended comparison?

At any rate, on the Northern State Parkway, Manetto Hill Road (37) and Sunnyside Blvd (38) both get different points from I-495 (37A). The destinations for 37 and 38 on NorStaPkwy are the same as the destinations for 45 and 46 on I-495, and the points for 37 and 38 are about the same distance from 37A as 45 and 46 on I-495 would be from proposed 45A (37-37A is definitively closer than 45-45A would be, even).
So how does it make any sense to 1PPI out 45A on I-495 but not 37A on NorStaPkwy? The status quo is inconsistent between the two.

vdeane:
It's also worth noting that there's a similar interchange to the west (really the other half of the one we're talking about, just with other interchanges in between), which does have points on both roads.  It's 42 on I-495 and 35A on the NSP.

yakra:

--- Quote from: Duke87 on January 17, 2022, 01:45:38 am ---What exactly is the intended comparison?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: yakra on January 16, 2022, 10:06:16 pm ---part of a larger flyswatter complex with some movements indirect or Breezewooded out.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Duke87 on January 17, 2022, 01:45:38 am ---At any rate, on the Northern State Parkway, Manetto Hill Road (37) and Sunnyside Blvd (38) both get different points from I-495 (37A). The destinations for 37 and 38 on NorStaPkwy are the same as the destinations for 45 and 46 on I-495, and the points for 37 and 38 are about the same distance from 37A as 45 and 46 on I-495 would be from proposed 45A (37-37A is definitively closer than 45-45A would be, even).
So how does it make any sense to 1PPI out 45A on I-495 but not 37A on NorStaPkwy? The status quo is inconsistent between the two.

--- End quote ---
Not at all. NorStaPkwy exits 37 & 38 are complete interchanges in their own right. 37A is an additional partial interchange.
On I-495, 46 is a complete interchange. Then, there's a partial interchange at the NSP and another partial interchange at Manetto Hill Rd. The question then becomes deciding between
• partial interchange -> a point + another partial interchange -> another point, vs
• partial interchange + partial interchange = a single (partial) interchange -> one point.
Worth noting that the EB offramp at current 45 complements the ramps at the NSP; no EB offramp is available there.
It's not enough IMO to look at just the directly connected roads or what directions are signed; that's part of a larger picture.

"Double half" terminology aside, this meets neither the "clear gap of at least 0.5 mi/0.8 km separat[ing] the two halves" nor the "each half connects to a different highway that we are also mapping" criteria.
I could be talked into moving the point onto the NSP per "use one central point" grounds. Only nezinscot is using NY I-495 45; this would make his travels nice & continuous on mapview.

--- Quote from: vdeane on January 17, 2022, 11:41:19 am ---It's also worth noting that there's a similar interchange to the west (really the other half of the one we're talking about, just with other interchanges in between), which does have points on both roads.  It's 42 on I-495 and 35A on the NSP.

--- End quote ---
Similar in that there are 2 ramps to go from Hwy A to Hwy B proceeding in the same direction.
Dissimilar in that there's not a complementary adjacent partial interchange to cause debate about whether to collapse to a single point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version