Author Topic: HI: unexpected designations in a few labels  (Read 851 times)

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:May 18, 2024, 01:08:49 am
  • I like C++
HI: unexpected designations in a few labels
« on: November 12, 2023, 11:10:01 pm »
From a disabled datacheck in the siteupdate code (way too many FPs, and kinda "enforces" a certain labeling style) that I'll uncomment every now & again to see what I can see...
These look like they may refer to deleted/decomissioned or unsigned routes.

hi.hi030;HI32/320;;;UNEXPECTED_DESIGNATION;320
hi.hi032;HI30/320;;;UNEXPECTED_DESIGNATION;320
hi.hi3400;HI340/330;;;UNEXPECTED_DESIGNATION;330
hi.hi340;HI3400/330;;;UNEXPECTED_DESIGNATION;330
hi.hi036;HI360/365;;;UNEXPECTED_DESIGNATION;365
hi.hi360;HI36/365;;;UNEXPECTED_DESIGNATION;365

For those last 2, it's possible it refers to CR365 now if the point on HI37 is any indication.
While IMO I'm hot so not on slashing a county route number into a state-numbered label, there's precedent for it in IL/MN/MO/WI. Oh yeah -- and NJ (though one could argue that's a slightly different animal, but I digress). :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 12:13:52 am by yakra »
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:14:43 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
Re: HI: unexpected designations in a few labels
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 08:57:41 am »
All of the "unexpected designations" are county routes. They are signed at the relevant intersections with state routes, and the signage is similar to state routes (a Hawaii peculiarity often discussed on this forum).

I see nothing wrong with keeping those references to county routes. Removing them would just add to the confusion.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:02:14 am
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 10:30:31 am »
I disagree. Referring to non-existent state routes as state routes in the labels is more confusing than either ignoring them or adding a "CR" to the label would be. Remember that not everyone who uses this site is a roadgeek with a deep understanding of how Hawai`i (mis)signs its highways, or possibly even a passing interest in that topic.
Clinched:

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:14:43 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 12:16:20 pm »
Referring to non-existent state routes as state routes in the labels is more confusing than either ignoring them or adding a "CR" to the label would be.

Including a route number in a label makes no claim about whether the route is state, county, or something else. It only reflects what a traveler saw or will see at that intersection.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:14:48 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 09:11:32 pm »
Referring to non-existent state routes as state routes in the labels is more confusing than either ignoring them or adding a "CR" to the label would be.

Including a route number in a label makes no claim about whether the route is state, county, or something else. It only reflects what a traveler saw or will see at that intersection.

Yeah, this. See all the labels like "US47/307" where the second is a state highway. That's just how labeling guidelines work.

And people who are not familiar with the peculiarities seeing a guitar pick (yes I know it's supposed to be a raindrop, it looks like a guitar pick to me) and assuming "HI state highway" is exactly why I'd rather include those routes but. 🤷