Author Topic: Mapview rte= functionality  (Read 9332 times)

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
Re: Mapview rte= functionality
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2022, 09:00:03 am »
Resurrecting this thread because I feel some improvements to the Mapview menu would be helpful.  When choosing which regions to show, the menu only shows 4.5 options...with how many regions we have, that requires a lot of scrolling through the menu.  Furthermore, my middle mousewheel doesn't scroll the menu but scrolls the underlying map, so that's useless when trying to select regions.  Is there any way to improve this given how it's coded?

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:14:53 pm
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2022, 09:20:58 am »
I never noticed how the "wheel" functionality scrolls the map.  I am not sure how to get the overlay window to process those events so it would scroll the lists instead.

I guess a bigger questions is if and how people use the region and system lists on that mapview overlay window.  I am not sure I ever have since I first was testing this a couple years ago.  Sounds like we have at least one user, though.  Do you select multiple regions?  Multiple non-adjacent regions?  Would it be better to have a separate popup window of some kind that let you use checkboxes, or a window where you could move regions back and forth between selected and unselected lists?

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2022, 10:16:20 am »
When I use it (as an aid in trip planning), I usually use multiple adjacent regions.  For example NY, NJ, PA, MD.

Not sure what the best method would be.  Open to suggestion.  Just wanted to point out that the current process is a PITA to select multiple regions.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2022, 10:45:30 am »
When I use it (as an aid in trip planning), I usually use multiple adjacent regions.  For example NY, NJ, PA, MD.

Not sure what the best method would be.  Open to suggestion.  Just wanted to point out that the current process is a PITA to select multiple regions.

Agreed!  My own workaround is a lot of URL editing.  Not a great solution.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2022, 12:58:10 pm »

You might open mapview for NY, scroll out to see your whole travel area, enable the "Always Update Visible Routes" option, wait till loaded, disable the option again*. Zoom in and out like you want.

*If you keep the option checked, it will be annoying when zooming out.

Agreed!  My own workaround is a lot of URL editing.  Not a great solution.

Me too! Works fine to me.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2022, 03:51:10 pm »
You might open mapview for NY, scroll out to see your whole travel area, enable the "Always Update Visible Routes" option, wait till loaded, disable the option again*. Zoom in and out like you want.

*If you keep the option checked, it will be annoying when zooming out.

This is pretty much what I do, but I don't start with a region.  I just use "Find Place" to start at a place in the area I'm traveling, uncheck the update box, pan and zoom to the area I want to see, check the update box, let it load, uncheck the update box, then pan and zoom all I want with no further loading and rendering delays.