Author Topic: Clinched Routes Highway Shields  (Read 79977 times)

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:38:25 am
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
Re: Clinched Routes Highway Shields
« Reply #180 on: February 18, 2021, 01:54:39 pm »
FYI the Northwest Parkway in Denver has a shield: ex. 1 ex. 2
I can't find a SVG of it anywhere, and I don't know enough about that type of coding to make one myself (otherwise I would and wouldn't bother you about it).
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:35:08 pm
« Reply #181 on: February 18, 2021, 05:37:26 pm »
FYI the Northwest Parkway in Denver has a shield: ex. 1 ex. 2
I can't find a SVG of it anywhere, and I don't know enough about that type of coding to make one myself (otherwise I would and wouldn't bother you about it).
ex. 3
Completed:
* Systems: DC, WI
* by US State: AR: I&; AZ: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I*; NE: I; NJ, I; OH: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI; (AR, IN pending expansions.)

*Previously completed

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:09:10 pm
« Reply #182 on: February 18, 2021, 05:54:09 pm »
Easy enough to add if we can get an SVG-format version.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #183 on: February 18, 2021, 10:19:28 pm »
I got it down to a PNG, then tried to convert that to an SVG using an online converter and it didn't work (see attached).
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline rschen7754

• Last Login:February 28, 2024, 12:49:09 am
    • Rschen7754
« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2021, 02:57:37 am »
If I remember correctly there was talk of a major change to the shield generator that would necessitate redoing all of the shields. Is that still going forward? That was the main reason I stopped adding them.

As far as the turnpike shields, English Wikipedia (not Wikimedia Commons) is using them under fair use. (Wikimedia Commons, the central repository for Wikimedia projects, does not allow fair use). I don't know if what is being done here would qualify under fair use.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #185 on: February 20, 2021, 09:37:20 am »
If I remember correctly there was talk of a major change to the shield generator that would necessitate redoing all of the shields. Is that still going forward? That was the main reason I stopped adding them.

I think at this point, with recent additions and enhancements, and at least a few people who have a basic understanding of the code, we're likely to stick with what we have.  I'm not aware of anyone working on a major revamp.

A general offer related to this: if anyone wants to experiment with web front-end enhancements, including adding or improving shields, I can make you your own development/staging area on the TM server so you could try things out as you go and not have to submit pull requests and wait for me to put them up to see how things look.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #186 on: February 20, 2021, 07:06:06 pm »
PEI shields are on the main site.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #187 on: February 20, 2021, 09:34:20 pm »
BC shields are up, font is not right.  Anyone good at fonts?

Offline theFXexpert

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:June 30, 2023, 02:59:08 pm
« Reply #188 on: February 20, 2021, 10:45:06 pm »
I assume you're trying to use series D for the BC shields?
The font families in the <text> and <tspan> elements are different. The inner most one <tspan> using series B takes precedent.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #189 on: February 20, 2021, 11:25:09 pm »
I assume you're trying to use series D for the BC shields?
The font families in the <text> and <tspan> elements are different. The inner most one <tspan> using series B takes precedent.

Thanks for catching that.  I wanted B or D depending on the number of digits.  Fixed.

What I was originally trying to do was to use "Swis721 BT" as in https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/BC-20.svg and https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/BC-395.svg but it's clear I don't understand all the steps.  I put some font files I downloaded into our /fonts to test but none seemed to take effect.

Offline theFXexpert

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:June 30, 2023, 02:59:08 pm
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2021, 03:42:04 pm »
What I was originally trying to do was to use "Swis721 BT" as in https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/BC-20.svg and https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/BC-395.svg but it's clear I don't understand all the steps.  I put some font files I downloaded into our /fonts to test but none seemed to take effect.
The relevant file appears to be roadgeek.css in the fonts directory https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/blob/master/fonts/roadgeek.css
This css file establishes the font families utilized by the SVGs and associates them with font files on the server.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2021, 08:28:15 pm »
Grand Tour of Switzerland SVG attached.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2021, 04:02:03 pm »
I got it down to a PNG, then tried to convert that to an SVG using an online converter and it didn't work (see attached).
Attempted this a second time with the logo I pulled off the website; don't think there's copyright concerns since it's just text with geometric shapes.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2021, 07:12:39 pm »
Suggestion on the usausb routes that have the A or B suffix in their shields: leave them in usausb, but remove the banner field, and add the suffix to the route name.

I see this as being potentially messy since it would, for example, make it no longer possible to pull up every business route by querying the banner field.

I do like the idea of rendering shields in accordance with local custom, but this would most cleanly be done by having a flag specifically for that purpose rather than rearranging existing database fields.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #194 on: February 27, 2021, 06:25:02 pm »
Looks fine in firefox, but here are some screenshots from Chromium. Chrome behaves the same. Similar issues for bela & belb too.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca