Author Topic: Glitch: Routes Traveled Page  (Read 4544 times)

Offline jayhawkco

• Last Login:February 05, 2024, 01:16:11 pm
Glitch: Routes Traveled Page
« on: January 11, 2021, 09:50:58 am »
Hey Everyone,
    Just noticed that when you go to the Routes Traveled page, there are some routes traveled listed for me that I've never been on (nor has anyone else according to the site for some of them).  Specifically:

UNESCAP ASEAN Asian Highways: AH5 (Azerbaijan), AH81 (Azerbaijan), AH83 (Azerbaijan), AH150 (Malaysia)
UNESCAP ASEAN Asian Highways (for review): AH1 (Vietnam), AH2 (Thailand), AH11 (Laos)
UNECE International 'E' Roads: E001 (Georgia), E117 (Russia), E18 (Norway), E20 (Denmark), E4 (Finland)

Some of those are in countries that I've never been to (Denmark, Russia, Laos). 

I'm listed as 0 miles and there are no entries in my .list file.

Maybe they overlap something else I have been on and some weird link is making them pop up?  No such issues for anything in North America.

Unless I'm missing something obvious...

Chris
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 09:56:06 am by jayhawkco »

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:14:53 pm
Re: Glitch: Routes Traveled Page
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 10:21:44 am »
Thanks for the report.

I'm initially suspecting this is a problem with the clinched.php page on the web front end, rather than bad info getting into the DB, since the other parts of the site (including showroute and mapview) don't seem to be showing any such errors.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 09:33:34 pm »
The conversations I've had with myself about this, including a partial fix are in these two GitHub Issues: https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/issues/583 and https://github.com/TravelMapping/DataProcessing/issues/400 .

Bottom line, the database is OK, but the presentation on the routes traveled page is misleading.  That page displays connected routes.  The shield shown is generated based on the first chopped route.  In the AH 11 case, that's in LAO, even though jayhawkco's only travels for that route are in KHM.  The fix I've made so far is that the link is now to the connected route in showroute instead of the first chopped segment.  Removing the country name from the shield is a little more complicated (I think).

Offline jayhawkco

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 12:46:35 pm »
I guess I can add that some of the highways I have been on in that system don't show up.  I'm not listed as having traveled in Myanmar, but I have mileage logged.

It's almost like it lists the countries that contain the highway I've been on that I haven't been on it within.

Chris

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 01:22:46 pm »
I guess I can add that some of the highways I have been on in that system don't show up.  I'm not listed as having traveled in Myanmar, but I have mileage logged.

It's almost like it lists the countries that contain the highway I've been on that I haven't been on it within.

Chris

The (misleading) shield for AH1 with a VNM banner represents your travels on AH1 in all 4 countries it passes through, including your travels in KHM and MMR.

Similarly for AH2, your MMR travels are represented by the AH2 shield with the THA banner.  That route is a little more confusing because you also have travels on the two disconnected segments of that same route in IDN.

I'm not claiming that the way it's represented it good, but at least that's why it's done that way right now.

We've had a number of longstanding problems with the clinched.php page, which was developed well before much of our current highway data was in place and uses an older design both on the user visible side and behind the scenes.

Offline jayhawkco

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 01:32:14 pm »

Chris

The (misleading) shield for AH1 with a VNM banner represents your travels on AH1 in all 4 countries it passes through, including your travels in KHM and MMR.

Similarly for AH2, your MMR travels are represented by the AH2 shield with the THA banner.  That route is a little more confusing because you also have travels on the two disconnected segments of that same route in IDN.

I'm not claiming that the way it's represented it good, but at least that's why it's done that way right now.

We've had a number of longstanding problems with the clinched.php page, which was developed well before much of our current highway data was in place and uses an older design both on the user visible side and behind the scenes.

Gotcha.  That makes a lot more sense.  I didn't realize that the Myanmar highway "connected" elsewhere, since when I was in the country back in 2009, it was more or less closed off to a lot of the outside world. 

Chris

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 01:45:38 pm »
I am not feeling too motivated to do my real work this afternoon, so I'm going to take a shot at some shield generator and clinched.php improvements.  I'll start a thread over in the General Web Design Discussion section if and when I have some progress to share.