Author Topic: AK: Hickel Parkway Anchorage  (Read 462 times)

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:Today at 01:02:48 am
AK: Hickel Parkway Anchorage
« on: June 27, 2023, 09:32:11 pm »
The Hickel Parkway does not go all the way to the Seward Highway freeway, it actually ends at Old Seward Highway with O'Malley Road continuing on to the freeway.

If the graph is done the way it is due to NMP issues I can understand and will not advocate for change.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 09:34:57 pm by SSOWorld »
Completed:
* Systems: DC, WI
* by US State: AR: I&; AZ: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I*; NE: I; NJ, I; OH: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI; (AR, IN pending expansions.)

*Previously completed

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:10:34 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
Re: AK: Hickel Parkway Anchorage
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 12:17:18 am »
The Hickel Parkway does not go all the way to the Seward Highway freeway, it actually ends at Old Seward Highway with O'Malley Road continuing on to the freeway.

If the graph is done the way it is due to NMP issues I can understand and will not advocate for change.

Not for that reason, but it was deliberate. There is some latitude in usasf and other select systems like usanp to include a little extra mileage to connect a route to other TM routes, even if the connector does not otherwise qualify for the relevant system.

Offline SSOWorld

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 12:32:28 am »

Not for that reason, but it was deliberate. There is some latitude in usasf and other select systems like usanp to include a little extra mileage to connect a route to other TM routes, even if the connector does not otherwise qualify for the relevant system.
Also a fair reason.  Fudge factor of a small street segment :)
Completed:
* by US State: AR: I&; AZ: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I*; NE: I; NJ, I; OH: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI; (AR, IN pending expansions.)

*Previously completed

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:Today at 07:25:50 am
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 08:43:59 pm »
There is some latitude in usasf and other select systems like usanp to include a little extra mileage to connect a route to other TM routes, even if the connector does not otherwise qualify for the relevant system.

Based on that latitude, might you want to reconsider the Johansen Expressway in Fairbanks? I know it was left out due to the traffic light/at grade intersection at exit 3, but it is a fairly major crosstown route (almost all highway) between AK2 and AK3.

I remember the discussion as to why it was not included in usasf initially, but after driving it a couple days ago, I think it might be worthy of inclusion. On a selfish note, it would be nice to grab an easy clinch in AK (something rather rare), but I defer to your judgment as the maintainer of AK routes as to whether it stays out or gets added.

Offline SSOWorld

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 09:51:22 am »
Seems a lot of us are/were in Alaska this year ;)
Completed:

*Previously completed

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:10:34 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 02:13:11 pm »
There is some latitude in usasf and other select systems like usanp to include a little extra mileage to connect a route to other TM routes, even if the connector does not otherwise qualify for the relevant system.

Based on that latitude, might you want to reconsider the Johansen Expressway in Fairbanks? I know it was left out due to the traffic light/at grade intersection at exit 3, but it is a fairly major crosstown route (almost all highway) between AK2 and AK3.

I remember the discussion as to why it was not included in usasf initially, but after driving it a couple days ago, I think it might be worthy of inclusion. On a selfish note, it would be nice to grab an easy clinch in AK (something rather rare), but I defer to your judgment as the maintainer of AK routes as to whether it stays out or gets added.

My issue with the Johansen was that at-grade in the middle, which to me makes it hard to call it a  "freeway". Would've been different, if there had been three or more interchanges in a row, uninterrupted by any at-grades.

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:Today at 07:25:50 am
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 11:31:47 pm »
Understood.

Thought it was worth asking again, but didn't expect you to change your mind on this one  :)

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:56:07 pm
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023, 09:48:45 pm »
Mainly for Oscar, but there’s technically precedent.  I managed to sneak MS 67, AL 152, and AL 158 into usansf despite their overall lack of controlled access.  Either Tim didn’t notice or he didn’t care…this being back in the CHM days.

In fairness, though, some of that might have also been “fudging the definitions” to get at least SOMETHING at the state level into the books.  Both states have a considerable lack of state route freeways…