Author Topic: HI: Eastern terminus for HI 360 is incorrect  (Read 3762 times)

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 01, 2024, 02:37:22 am
HI: Eastern terminus for HI 360 is incorrect
« on: April 01, 2017, 02:56:17 pm »
The HB shows HI 360 (the Hana Highway) ending at the Hana Wharf. However, it does not actually go down to the wharf. According to GSV, it actually ends at the intersection of Hana Hwy with Keawa Place. You'll notice an "End State Highway" sign just past that intersection on GSV: https://goo.gl/maps/5PK2KsNsN7o

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:20:09 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
Re: HI: Eastern terminus for HI 360 is incorrect
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 04:48:47 pm »
GSV is correct that the Hana Highway changes from state to county highway at Keawe Place. However, HIDOT straight-line diagrams show HI 360 takes an (unmarked) left turn down Keawe Pl. to the harbor.

As you might've gathered, the quality of route number signage is uneven. But then, most Hawaiians pay no attention to route numbers anyway.

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 05:28:39 pm »
Oh, brother. That's annoying that their straight-line diagrams are different from their signage! So I guess it's fine as is, then.

Out of curiosity, does HI have a lot of unsigned highways? It seems like OSM shows lots of minor routes that aren't in the HB.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:20:09 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 06:16:47 pm »
HI has a lot of unsigned shorter state routes, especially 4-digit routes near military bases on Oahu. HIDOT assigns a route number to every road its Highway Division maintains, even the ones not relevant to most travelers. Our usual policy of ignoring unsigned routes comes in handy there, even if it means leaving out an unsigned primary route like HI 95 in southwest Oahu.

Complicating things even more is that there are a lot of county highways signed exactly like the state routes. OSM incorrectly labels at least some county routes as HI ___. There are also a fair number of poorly- or un-signed numbered county routes, especially in central Maui.

BTW, HIDOT told me it was going to sign the newly-completed HI 3800 Airport Access Road in Kahului, and so I went ahead and added it to the HB. Did you see such signage?

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 03:02:57 am »
BTW, HIDOT told me it was going to sign the newly-completed HI 3800 Airport Access Road in Kahului, and so I went ahead and added it to the HB. Did you see such signage?

I don't think I saw any signs, but I just wasn't paying much attention, though.