Author Topic: IND-AH, IND-NH, IND-xx: India  (Read 18299 times)

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 08:55:56 pm
IND-AH, IND-NH, IND-xx: India
« on: February 07, 2020, 08:39:15 am »
I'm not proposing that we start this system, however, having traveled a bit of AH 1 near Kolkata, I noted a couple things that will need to be accounted for:
What Google and OSM show as NH 19 is signed in the field as NH 2, both as reassurance shields and with distance milestones.
I suspect other Indian NH routes are also incorrect in online maps, unless there has been a recent renumbering scheme and signage hasn't been swapped.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 10:44:44 pm by Bickendan »

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:57:37 am
Re: INH: India National Highways
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 08:55:20 am »
Wikipoo says 2 was renumbered 19 in 2010. But if it's still signed as 2, yeh.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
India: INDNH-WB and INDSH-WB
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 10:15:33 pm »
I'm planning on taking a stab at India, focusing on the state of West Bengal (as I've been there).

India has four systems of note: AH, of which is already drafted
NE, their National Expressway system, and not relevant to West Bengal
NH, their National Highway system
SH, each state's respective highway system

Based on field observation, 'headache' is a compliment. In 2010, the Ministry of Roads and Transport completely renumbered the NH system, converting it to a grid-like system like the US highways. In this instance, odd numbers run west to east, with 1 in the north and 87 in the south, and even numbers run north to south, with 2 in the east and 68 in the west. However, as of February 2020, none of the NH in West Bengal have been renumbered in the field.
Additionally, OpenStreetMap does not have accurate mapping outside of Kolkata, and there is no GMSV coverage in India. In several instances, Google Maps has the best mapping (even when comparing against OSM, Bing, MapQuest, and RMN), though Google itself has some errors I've noticed.

Wikipedia has a very detailed city itenary list for the NH here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Highways_in_India_by_highway_number
For official sources for our bibliography, the pdfs in the links should suffice and I will verify when I get a chance.

As for State Highways, I've yet to begin formal research and am relying on field observations for West Bengal. I'll be using West Bengal as a test state, as that will give me an idea how comprehensive the entirety of India will be.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
Re: India: INDNH-WB and INDSH-WB
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 10:03:14 am »
You might want to start reviewing a preview first, or in combination with drafting new routes:
  • index - India National Expressways (si404) reviewer: t.b.d.
  • asiahp - UNESCAP / ASEAN Asian Highways (for preview) - (BGD, CHN (AH, GD, GX, GZ, HA, HB, HN, JS, JX, QH, SH, XZ, YN, ZJ), IND, NPL, PRK) (si404) reviewer: t.b.d.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:11:32 am
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 12:08:47 pm »
You might want to start reviewing a preview first
The Indian routes are not ready for review. In part because of the mess of the NH system and the renumbering. In part because I've not touched them since first drafting them years ago.

I'm perfectly fine with Bickendan taking a stab at West Bengal, and have zero problems with changes being made to the routes I drafted in India (the whole lot). Not least as it means I don't have to deal with it!   :P

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 12:12:27 pm »
That's what I meant. While dealing with the new routes, the existing routes could be revised. These routes could be the first routes to be touched: checking routing, adding wps for the routes of the next systems to be drafted etc.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 10:26:05 pm »
I've grabbed the AH files for West Bengal, as I agree those should be the first to be touched up.
@Si, I note AH 1 is drafted running east to west from Bangladesh to Uttar Pradesh. Is this intentional/consistent with the rest of the AH 1 files?

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 04:41:15 am »
Yes AH1 begins in Tokyo and ends at the Bulgarian border. East to West.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 07:43:42 am »
Initial progress: AH 2 and 46 look to be cleaned up. As OSM's coverage is actually pretty bad, I wound up relying on Google Satelite to gauge where new points should go in the editor and to sus out road names.
AH 46 was nice in that NH 49 overlaps 100% in West Bengal, so NH 49's done.
AH 2 allowed for preliminary drafts of the main portion NH 27 in West Bengal (the southern portion makes BC 97's border hopping look tame), 327, 327B, and WB 12. WB 12 has two overlaps with AH 2, first with NH 327 (all in the same direction), then with NH 27 (with AH 2 but against NH 27), and figuring out 12's routing wasn't easy.
Wiki's article on AH 46 makes mention of a junction with AH 20... but no article on its route, nor any indication on any of the online maps.

Currently, for drafting use, full extended overlap tags are being used for troubleshooting purposes (ie, AH2/NH327C/WB12 in the NH 327 file), because some of these overlaps are messy.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 08:59:41 am »
Wiki's article on AH 46 makes mention of a junction with AH 20... but no article on its route, nor any indication on any of the online maps.
It's total guff.

Looking through the history of the Asian Highways Wiki page, there's someone whose been adding fake AH2x routes in India, despite the correct numbers for such routes being 4x or 5x. If they were real (especially as the AH20 was added to the wikipedia page last year) they would have some sort of source, but I can't find anything.

The most unbelievable thing out of these fake routes is that they have one crossing the India-Pakistan border - there's only one border point open, the two nations cooperate on nothing and only really speak with each other about Cricket, and the routes would pretty much entirely overlap other ones (not that that was a problem for the AH9 added last October!).

I've whacked a load of citation neededs on the main wikipedia article, and I've purged references from the AH46 page (the only other place that refers to these routes). The funniest thing is that the distances in miles are off what the kilometre distances are, and totally inconsistent as to what the conversion factor is (one is, OK, 'only' 10% off, but the other two are waaaaay off. It's not typos, it's just nonsense).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 09:06:35 am by si404 »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 01:14:22 pm »
Seems wrong-headed to have a system code of country-system-subregion, effectively splitting the region code.
Compare Tier 5 systems in DEU.
Recommend indwbnh, indwbsh, etc.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 01:31:47 pm »
Recommend indnh, indwbsh, etc.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 07:46:09 pm »
Recommend indnh, indwbsh, etc.
I'm going to convert to this. I haven't even started constructing the .csvs yet, so my initial mental designations aren't going to make more work for me :)

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 07:49:47 pm »
It's total guff.

Looking through the history of the Asian Highways Wiki page, there's someone whose been adding fake AH2x routes in India, despite the correct numbers for such routes being 4x or 5x. If they were real (especially as the AH20 was added to the wikipedia page last year) they would have some sort of source, but I can't find anything.

The most unbelievable thing out of these fake routes is that they have one crossing the India-Pakistan border - there's only one border point open, the two nations cooperate on nothing and only really speak with each other about Cricket, and the routes would pretty much entirely overlap other ones (not that that was a problem for the AH9 added last October!).

I've whacked a load of citation neededs on the main wikipedia article, and I've purged references from the AH46 page (the only other place that refers to these routes). The funniest thing is that the distances in miles are off what the kilometre distances are, and totally inconsistent as to what the conversion factor is (one is, OK, 'only' 10% off, but the other two are waaaaay off. It's not typos, it's just nonsense).
That saves a headache then.

I need to check WB 5's city iteneray; it looks like it has a long overlap with AH 46/NH 49.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 02:20:46 am »
Initial AH cleanup in West Bengal is done.
Because of overlaps, a number of NH and SH routes have had very crude drafts done, with little regard on tag labels; only NH 16, 19, 49, 112, 317A, 327B, and 517 are considered 'cleaned up' because of their 100% overlap with an AH route.

Fun fact: Using NH or SH routes only, it is impossible to go from Kolkata to Nepal, Sikkim, Bhutan, or Assam and stay competely within West Bengal.

Cleaned up:
AH 1
NH 16
317A
327B

Drafted:
NH 12
27 (main)
WB 2
12A