Author Topic: OK: signage finally removed for 3 or 4 US business routes  (Read 705 times)

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 09:50:25 am
OK: signage finally removed for 3 or 4 US business routes
« on: September 17, 2022, 10:54:47 am »
Business 70 in Hugo is no longer signed. Business 271 was signed as 271, with Bypass 271 concurrent with 70, but this was inconsistent.

Business 69 and Business 75 in Durant are also both gone now. OK 78 remains, with no change to its routing.
Clinched:

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Re: OK: signage finally removed for 3 or 4 US business routes
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 08:10:23 am »
Business 69 and Business 75 in Durant are also both gone now.
Consistent with vanilla US70 disappearing thru town, no business route, when it was moved onto the bypass.
These are still on the AASHTO books (which TMK aren't all that up-to-date). I wonder if they were eliminated in the Spring 2022 meeting, which AFAIK the public still hasn't seen the results of.

OK 78 remains, with no change to its routing.
So
Whoopsie. When US70 was moved onto the bypass, the US69/75Bus split was erroneously relabeled MainSt_W. Thus there's nothing to change for OK78.

US70:
MulSt +-> MagSt; fixed coords
EMainSt interchange added
US69Bus +-> 9thAve
MainSt +-> WMainSt

US69/75:
The only change would be US69BusDur_S -> 9thAve
OSM shows construction thru this interchange, southward past Calera. Was this still in progress? Completed? Did you notice if there were exit numbers posted at 9th Ave? Or even at MainSt in Calera?

Business 70 in Hugo is no longer signed.
Sounds like this should get the heave-ho, then.

Business 271 was signed as 271, with Bypass 271 concurrent with 70, but this was inconsistent.
Weird -- both were eliminated with AASHTO in Fall 2019. And yet only signage for 70 is gone? Bugger.
Since US271BusHug (it is officially a business route) is theoretically slated to be removed, I'll go no-build here (other than US70Bus_E -> EJacSt), wait to see what shakes out, if it's removed, and chalk it up to lousy Oklahoma signage.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 09:50:25 am
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 06:37:03 pm »

US69/75:
The only change would be US69BusDur_S -> 9thAve
OSM shows construction thru this interchange, southward past Calera. Was this still in progress? Completed? Did you notice if there were exit numbers posted at 9th Ave? Or even at MainSt in Calera?

The construction was very much still in progress last month. I did not notice any exit numbers (wasn't looking) but all signage was of the temporary variety since no traffic was using the proper lanes at the time.

Business 271 was signed as 271, with Bypass 271 concurrent with 70, but this was inconsistent.
Weird -- both were eliminated with AASHTO in Fall 2019. And yet only signage for 70 is gone? Bugger.
Since US271BusHug (it is officially a business route) is theoretically slated to be removed, I'll go no-build here (other than US70Bus_E -> EJacSt), wait to see what shakes out, if it's removed, and chalk it up to lousy Oklahoma signage.
[/quote]

Signage was inconsistent. As I recall, there wasn't much 271 signage through town, but it wasn't gone. Some may have been Business 271, but I remember seeing some bannerless 271 signs away from the bypass. Most signage on/to the bypass had Bypass banners.
Clinched:

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 03:06:43 pm »
The construction was very much still in progress last month. I did not notice any exit numbers (wasn't looking) but all signage was of the temporary variety since no traffic was using the proper lanes at the time.
Righto. I'll just change US69BusDur_S -> 9thAve, and keep my eye out for future changes in GMSV.

Signage was inconsistent. As I recall, there wasn't much 271 signage through town, but it wasn't gone. Some may have been Business 271, but I remember seeing some bannerless 271 signs away from the bypass.
What I see in GMSV is pretty consistent US271 signage at junctions and turns. Did it look like some of that had disappeared?
I saw only bannerless. No business banners. :(
There was one, but it was removed (see also WB US70 approaching the S junction.). >:(

Most signage on/to the bypass had Bypass banners.
Junk like the above link, I'll unilaterally declare "Bypass" to be a road name, with shields for a normal route. :P
I believe there are a couplefew bypass banners to be seen, IIRC on standalone assemblies, but I won't chase down a link right now.

ISTR the rule from the early CHM days was, if there's a Business & Bypass pair with nothing signed as a vanilla route, put the mainline route on the bypass and make the business route separate.
Not sure how well this has been retained or followed in the ensuing years, or even if there are still any cases in the field that'd invoke this rule if it did still exist. I believe it hasn't made it into the current manual.

Not sure how much this would have affected the situation in Hugo when OK/usaus was first drafted though. Early GMSV (2008) shows vanilla signage on the business route. :(
Not that it's too applicable now, if we have a vanilla route and another (sorta) vanilla route.

But anyway. All that said, I'll go with the more low-impact solution, keep US271BusHug, change US70Bus_E -> EJacSt, and see what shakes out, with the expectation (HA!) that the route will be removed eventually. Even if the signage change linked above at the S end of the bypass doesn't bode very well for that.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++