User Discussions > Other Discussion

Stats restricted to systems/regions/etc of interest

<< < (12/12)

Duke87:

--- Quote from: Jim on April 15, 2024, 09:06:26 pm ---I should clarify the way I see the select-your-systems-to-show idea working.  When you are on the TM site you pick the subset of systems you want to see maps and stats for (stored in cookies) and that's how you see everyone's maps and stats, not just your own.  When someone else sees your maps and stats, they would be based on what the viewing user wants to show, not what each TM user wants.

--- End quote ---

Yeah the thing with that is that okay let's say I decide to toggle off "New Jersey 500 Series County Highways". I won't see them when I look at stats, so it'll show 100% for me when I look at NJ... but someone else who has it toggled on will see me as <100% for NJ because I haven't clinched them all, and I don't like that. I want my stats to display the same for everyone no matter who is looking at them.

There's also the matter of, just because I don't think I should need to clinch all of those to claim 100% of NJ doesn't mean I'm not interested in taking credit for the mileage I have clinched. So I wouldn't necessarily actually want to toggle the system off. But I would want it to be accounted for in a different set of stats.

Mapcat's solution is superior in both of these regards.

That said I also acknowledge here that in this example I am using what would be a comprehensive system if included, but I don't think the important distinction is actually comprehensive vs. select, it's base set vs. extras.

Any select systems would go under "extras" certainly, but so would any systems maintained by counties or equivalent (e.g. all the departmental route systems in France), systems maintained by states or equivalent but with numbers that repeat by county or equivalent, systems of unsigned routes, and named tourist routes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version