Author Topic: DC: US 1, US 1 ALT, and US 50 Point Concerns  (Read 2193 times)

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 05:49:10 am
DC: US 1, US 1 ALT, and US 50 Point Concerns
« on: March 07, 2021, 09:20:44 pm »
I want some feedback before moving forward with doing the following: (since no one took over DC)

US 1:
1.  ConAve should be ConAve_E. (and moved to 6th St NW at Constitution Ave)  (also affects US 50)
2.  Add point at South Dakota Ave (SouDakAve).

US 1 ALT:
1.  BreRd should be BrePkwy.
2.  Add points at Capitol St NW (CapSt) and South Dakota Ave (SouDakAve).

US 50:
1.  Add points at 23rd St NW (23rdSt) for Memorial Bridge, 17th St NW (17thSt), Capitol St NW (CapSt), and 36th Pl NE (36thPl).
2.  See Item 1 under US 1.
3.  See Item 1 under US 1 ALT.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 16, 2024, 06:40:23 pm
Re: DC: US 1, US 1 ALT, and US 50 Point Concerns
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 12:29:34 am »
US 1:
1.  ConAve should be ConAve_E. (and moved to 6th St NW at Constitution Ave)  (also affects US 50)

Unless I'm missing something in the manual, this point could go with or without the _E since the western point has a route number label.  If it's in use (I haven't checked), might as well leave it as-is.

On a side note, both of the points along Constitution Ave are horribly off-center.  And the western US 1/US 50 concurrency point should technically be moved to between 14th and 15th as southbound US 1 uses 15th (there are no left turns allowed from WB Constitution to SB 14th).  We have precedent for this in DC in how US 29 handles a similar situation at 7th & Rhode Island NW.

2.  Add point at South Dakota Ave (SouDakAve).

I see no problem with this.

US 1 ALT:
1.  BreRd should be BrePkwy.

If we *REALLY* wanted to be technical, the point should be relocated to the connector road intersection and relabeled for Mt. Olivet Rd, which is what the connector (which itself is considered a ramp per DDOT) directly connects to.  IIRC, the DC US routes were drafted before the direct ramps between US 50 and 9th St were removed (as part of the 9th St Bridge replacement).  My memory's not 100% but I also want to say that Brentwood Pkwy was known as Brentwood Rd before that bridge project reconfigured things.

2.  Add points at Capitol St NW (CapSt) and South Dakota Ave (SouDakAve).

Part of me wants to say that a point at Florida Ave NE would be more important than a point at North Capitol...which if included should be labeled NorCapSt as the "North" part is actually part of the name, to differentiate it from East Capitol St and South Capitol St.

US 50:
1.  Add points at 23rd St NW (23rdSt) for Memorial Bridge, 17th St NW (17thSt), Capitol St NW (CapSt), and 36th Pl NE (36thPl).

Agree with 23rd and 17th.  North Capitol is covered under my above comments.

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 08:09:06 am »
US 1:

Unless I'm missing something in the manual, this point could go with or without the _E since the western point has a route number label.  If it's in use (I haven't checked), might as well leave it as-is.

Technically, you are right. I prefer to do it each time though.

US 50:

Agree with 23rd and 17th.  North Capitol is covered under my above comments.

I probably should have actually requested these as I actually had the section of US 50 between 23rd and 17th from a DC field trip.  The bus on that trip dropped us all off at the World War II Memorial along 17th.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 16, 2024, 06:40:23 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 12:26:12 pm »
If nobody's using ConnAve, then there's no harm in changing it.  But if someone is using it, it's best (and as noted not wrong) to just leave it as-is.

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 05:05:49 pm »
https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/4611

US 1: I changed I-395 to I-395(1).  We have precedent for this on US 9 in NY.

If nobody's using ConnAve, then there's no harm in changing it.  But if someone is using it, it's best (and as noted not wrong) to just leave it as-is.

I was super close to not changing it as I did not realize that Constitution Ave NW had a break at Pennsylvania Ave NW, but I went forward with changing it.  Note that every label minus one (I-66_E on US 50) was in-use on all three routes before these changes so alternate labels were a plenty anyway.  I say that we are on a agree to disagree scenario here.

All Capital St labels (new and old) were made NorCapSt.  NorCapSt is more important than Florida Ave (FloAve) simply because it has ramps to/from US 50 and US 1 ALT.

If we *REALLY* wanted to be technical, the point should be relocated to the connector road intersection and relabeled for Mt. Olivet Rd, which is what the connector (which itself is considered a ramp per DDOT) directly connects to.  IIRC, the DC US routes were drafted before the direct ramps between US 50 and 9th St were removed (as part of the 9th St Bridge replacement).  My memory's not 100% but I also want to say that Brentwood Pkwy was known as Brentwood Rd before that bridge project reconfigured things.

Both of these changes were done.  BreRd was changed to MouOliRd.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 05:11:15 pm by Markkos1992 »