User Discussions > Other Discussion

Mapping 6+ lane freeways

<< < (2/15) > >>

si404:

--- Quote from: michih on May 31, 2023, 01:30:50 pm ---If anyone bothers about Germany, have a look here: http://autobahnatlas-online.de/index_e.html
There are maps and one can even go through each route. Legend: red = 4 lanes, violet = 6 lanes.

--- End quote ---
I'm doing the UK first, but Germany will be next due to that fantastic resource.  Other European countries have good resources to make it easy, but none is as good as this.

si404:

--- Quote from: Markkos1992 on May 31, 2023, 12:27:02 pm ---Ok I get this idea.  I thought we were creating a separate system or something for a second.

So would I-81 around Harrisburg be:

1.  PA I-81 59 70

or

2.  PA I-81 57 72

due to there only being 4 thru lanes on I-81 through both the PA 581 and I-83 interchanges?

--- End quote ---
Effectively the latter, though you might write it as the former with 57 59 and 70 72 entries as well.

If you travel from exit 1 to exit 3 and then from exit 3 to exit 15, you clinch 1 to 15, even though you haven't been through 3. A limit of the way we do stuff.

Duke87:
Yeah the biggest limitation here is this will not catch cases where a route is 6 or more lanes on both approaches to an interchange, but does not maintain 6 thru lanes through it. A situation which is fairly common, so this is a nontrivial limitation.

Still, an interesting use of the project. I can dig it.

Bickendan:
Even though it's still a devel system, we can put down the Yamuna Expressway and Greater Noida Expresway in Uttart Pradesh, India, as both being 6 lanes.

froggie:

--- Quote from: Duke87 on May 31, 2023, 07:20:25 pm ---Yeah the biggest limitation here is this will not catch cases where a route is 6 or more lanes on both approaches to an interchange, but does not maintain 6 thru lanes through it. A situation which is fairly common, so this is a nontrivial limitation.

--- End quote ---

I was thinking about this earlier this morning as I got the ball started before work.  Where there are multiple interchange points to support it, things can be tweaked (I did such with some of the Minnesota routes).  Where the route lists went with 1PPI, we'll just have to live with it.

That said, Jayhawk and I both agreed that where the lanes are strictly auxiliary lanes between interchanges that are not multiple miles apart, they do not count.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version