User Discussions > How To?

Methodology for entering

<< < (6/7) > >>

ntallyn:
In my experience, overlaps (repeats) don't cause any problems with the site. Might take just a hair longer to process, but that's probably pretty minimal.

Jim:
Totally up to you.  If the same segment is marked as traveled by multiple entries in your .list, it will still just be marked once.  It does mean a fraction more processing time during a site update, but the resulting entries in the database for your travels would be identical.

jwood.ok:
Alright, thanks for the replies.  The other reason I was thinking of switching to date-based entries is I think my kids may eventually want their own list.  If I keep my own list based on dates, I'll have a better knowledge most times of if they were with me, and when it comes time for them to make their own list, we can just grab those dates to be a good starter for their own list.

yakra:
And of course, comments can help, as you already noted. EG,
# Trip with John
# Trip with Jane

M3200:
I looked at several of the posted list files and I like the ones that are separated by region and 'type of highway', so I am using that format.  Just started submitting updates this week - it works great.  Jim's process is easy to follow.

The only disappointment I've had is that some mileage doesn't count: there are portions of state highways in California that, while they still have posted route shields, are no longer part of the "official roadway" and are excluded from the mileage computations.  Such is life. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version