User Discussions > Other Discussion

New Travels and Stats Discussion

<< < (164/201) > >>

Markkos1992:
I did a little bit of northern MD clinching before yesterday's South Central PA Meet.

Clinched: MD 550, Park Central Rd, MD 26, MD 144, MD 125

No new mileage was gained on any other routes.  I also finished the clinch of US 40 TRUCK (Baltimore, MD).

7/8:

--- Quote from: mapcat on September 12, 2022, 09:44:45 pm ---Canada wins on food, the USA on root beer

--- End quote ---

Huh, I find the root beer at Canadian A&W amazing (much better in store than the store-bought cans). I'll have to try it in the US at some point!

Here's my catalogue of new trips this year.

March: I took a trip to Vancouver and Whistler and got a bit more mileage on BC 99 (though the bulk of that drive I already did in 2021).

Summer: I took three trips to Montreal. Despite driving with other people on all three trips, I managed to get some clinching detours in (though a few drives were the boring direct 401...).
- Did a short detour down the 1000 Island Parkway, then up ON 137 back on to the 401. Also took a quick detour down ON 16 to the St. Lawrence and back on the 401, and similarly, clinched ON 49 and U-turned to the 401.
- From Cornwall, ON: ON 138 clinch, The 417 east, ON 34 clinch, QC 344, A-50 east, QC 148 southeast, QC A-640 to A-15. That trip got me two new QC counties (Argenteuil and Deux-Montagnes).
- From Kaladar, ON: ON north (with a stop at Bon Echo), ON 132 clinch, ON 60 east, ON 17 east, ON 417 clinch, A-40 to A-30.
- I wanted to get a ON 33 clinch and ON 62 south of Belleville, but I couldn't convince my brothers on that one. Hopefully next year. :)
I also got various mileage in Quebec including QC 328 and 338 at the ON border to avoid an accident, new mileage on A-40, A-440, A-15, QC 117, QC 132 and clinches of A-930, A-520, and QC 136Mon.

One day, I had to drive to Niagara Region (ON), so I took the long way via Fort Erie to get a clinch of the central and east portions of ON 3.

Edit: Also one day, from my parents trailer in Mt. Forest, I detoured to Kincardine via ON 9 for the clinch and to see the sunset on Lake Huron.

Fall: I took a trip with my brother down to Lexington, KY for a concert. On the way down, we did the mostly direct route, though got a clinch of the EC Row in Windsor, ON, some new mileage on M-39, I-75 in Cincinnati and I-75 south of the I-71 split (with three new KY counties), and some US routes in Lexington. On the way up, we detoured from Dayton to Findlay for five new OH counties by going OH 4 (with a stop at the US Air Force Museum), US 68 north to Bellefontaine (with a short detour of OH 540 and US 33 for high point Campbell Hill), and then US 68 north again to Findlay. We also took the Ohio Turnpike between I-75 and I-280 to get to my hotel, but more importantly to try my EZ Pass, which I haven't used once in my three years of owning it (thanks Covid! :pan:). The next day, we clinched M-85 into Detroit, and got mileage on M-1, M-3, and M-5 in downtown on foot. We also clinched the western portion of ON 3 and ON 77 with a trip to Point Pelee (the southernmost mainland point of Canada). All in all, a very successful route clinch and county collecting trip considering I wasn't alone!

Lastly, this weekend, I got ON 62 from Belleville to its north terminus, a clinch of ON 127, and new mileage on ON 28 (from Bancroft to ON 118). I've now surpassed 70% mileage of Ontario, and I'm exactly 15.00% behind Oscar (I'd need a trip or two to Northern Ontario to surpass him :D). Also, this year I've now completed both canonf Ontario Provincial Freeways and cannf Canada Select Named Freeways (within Ontario).

dave1693:
My journeys for this summer were as expected: July trips between northern VA and eastern PA, the August trip to western PA (which for $REASONS, started in eastern PA but the return trip was a triangle going south first), August trips between the Lehigh Valley and Philly airport picking up and dropping off family around my parents' 60th anniversary, and September trips both between northern VA and eastern PA and between northern VA and the Northern Neck of VA. There was also one trip to New England in July for my cousin's memorial service.

New clinches, decidedly not in the order driven:
US 206 in NJ *and* in its entirety (my third nationwide unbannered US highway clinch?), US 30 Business (Everett PA), US 422 Business (Kittanning PA), US 422 Business (Indiana PA), PA 286 Truck (Indiana PA), PA 472, PA 611, PA 896, Betsy Ross Bridge *AT THE TIME I DROVE IT* (PA side) and NJ 90 (NJ side) all in one go, NJ 31, DE 286, MD 136, MD 268, MD 274, MD 277, MD 281, MD 284, MD 285, MD 286, MD 290, MD 781, VA 204, VA 235

New UNclinches:
PA 147 (with PA 147 being rerouted, there is one new segment I have not yet driven)
Betsy Ross Bridge (due to new extension being added)

New segments without clinching:
US 6 in PA, US 19 in PA, US 20 in MA, US 30 in PA, US 119 in PA, US 130 in NJ, US 322 in PA, US 522 in PA
MA 9, MA 12, MA 16, MA 27, MA 30, MA 135, CT 12, CT 171
PA 68, PA 108, PA 144, PA 153, PA 233, PA 258, PA 286, PA 388, PA 405, PA 949, PA 954
NY 52, DE 15, MD 7 (Baltimore-Harford Counties), MD 7 (Cecil County, Elkton east), MD 279, MD 299, MD 302, MD 313, Taconic State Parkway (NY)

Autumn trips are likely to be limited to the Mid-Atlantic thanks to family medical stuff.

jayhawkco:
Drove to Kansas City and back via southern Nebraska to get all of the counties south of I-80. Clinched a bunch of links and spurs, and got a bunch of mileage on many different highways (especially due to concurrencies), but the main NE routes I clinched were:

NE4
US159
NE128
NE41
NE23

oscar:
I just got back from an impromptu road trip to Kentucky and Indiana. This was inspired largely by my freezing my ass off at home, in a cold snap before my condo complex had planned to turn the heat on (it's now on, but in the meantime the cold snap went away). 

My main goals were to try to clinch US 421 overall, and reclinch US 127 which had been rerouted in southern Kentucky. I got the latter, but am still missing a few segments of 421 in Indiana, due to bridge closures and also highway reconstruction through one downtown. Indiana seems to have lots of bridge closures, complicated by its DOT's general reluctance to use county roads as signed detours around the closures.

I also re-clinched several counties in Kentucky for my "round 2" count (for which I try to visit the county seats, rather than just crossing the plane of the county line like I often did for "round 1"). These included one that is among the least-visited lower-48 counties by mob-rule.com users.

I would have taken only four days, except for a deer colliding with my car on the Indiana Toll Road (I-80/90) the evening of day 3. No injuries, and my car was still drive-able once my rear bumper was remounted the following morning. But lots of other body damage on the driver's side of my car, including both doors and the front fender, which will undoubtedly take a fair amount of money (mostly my insurance company's) and time to fix.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version