Author Topic: A Better Map View for My Own Travels?  (Read 3018 times)

Offline jtstill

• Last Login:March 24, 2024, 03:37:33 pm
A Better Map View for My Own Travels?
« on: August 07, 2023, 07:21:08 pm »
Hi! I'm pretty new to this site, but couldn't be more thrilled that I found it! A summer road trip last year got me hooked on highways, and I'm always planning new trips (even if I can't always take them in the foreseeable future). For the past few days, I've been actively mapping everywhere I've been since about Aug 2022 (while I'd love to include previous routes, I don't trust myself to have remembered everything correctly, and I care more about integrity than coverage).

Here comes the question: is there a better way to see every route I've been on across the US at once? I know that I can see one state at a time pretty easily just by clicking the map link in my stats or going to Mapview and zooming to fit where I'm interested in seeing, but especially in the northeast, it takes a while to load everything in; not just the routes I've travelled, but the ones I haven't as well. Scrolling out to include the entire continental US is a nightmare. If the page doesn't become unresponsive, the density of roads and the lack of a huge difference between highlighted and unhighlighted sections doesn't make it very visually digestible. I was wondering if there is a way to only map the routes in my .list file (just the segments that I've travelled), without even seeing the ones I haven't travelled on the map at all?

Thanks, and looking forward to posting more on this awesome site!

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:14:53 pm
Re: A Better Map View for My Own Travels?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 07:51:42 pm »
@jtstill, glad you're enjoying the site thanks for the post.

The idea of a Mapview option that loads and plots only the highway segments in your current .list file is a good one.  It's something I've thought about but never tried implementing.  There's an Issue in our GitHub repository for the web front-end about it: https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/issues/511 from which I'll link to your post and add another thought for when I get a chance to give it a try.