Author Topic: NJ/NY: Various Point Concerns After 2/12/2022 Trip  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:37:39 am
NJ/NY: Various Point Concerns After 2/12/2022 Trip
« on: February 14, 2022, 06:15:22 pm »
US 1:  I think there may be a point or two missing between US 130/NJ 171 and NJ 18.

US 9W:  Should a point be added at High Ave (connection to I-87/I-287)?  I would use it if added as I used US 9W to turn around at the east end of NY 59.

US 130:
1.   BurBorRd should be slightly relocated.
2.   YarGroRd should be ChuSt (Church St).
3.   Is RenRd_E correct?

NJ 17:  Is a point missing here?

NJ 18:  ComAve should be PaulRobBlvd (Paul Robeson Blvd).

NJ 21:
1.   Should a point be added at South St (connects to US 1/US 9 freeway)?
2.   Note that I would add a point between 8 and 9 to keep the NJ 21 line closer to staying on the west side of the Passaic River.

NJ 44:
1.    US130_S could be US130.
2.   Should a point be added for the new access to Rapauno Port?

NJ 156:  Should a point be added at Church St (ChuSt) and/or Broad St due to their connections to the nearby US 130 interchanges?

NJ 172:  CliSt_S should be RydLn (Ryders Lane).  NJ18 could arguably be slightly relocated as well.

NY 45:  Should there be a second Palisades Pkwy point just south of US 202?

NY 59:  The US 202 labels should be W and E instead of S and N.

NY 100C:  Is the shaping point east of NY 9A necessary?

NY 303:  CR20 is probably close to enough to NY340 to consider a point here unnecessary.

NY 304: 
1.   Should RaiAve be a point?
2.   Should a point be added at Crooked Hill Rd (CroHillRd)?
3.   Note that MidRd may be CR33.

NY 340:
1.   This route should be flipped.
2.   HigAve and PieAve should be combined into one point. 

EDIT (2-15-2022):  Added comment for NY 100C.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 06:10:15 am by Markkos1992 »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Re: NJ/NY: Various Point Concerns After 2/12/2022 Trip
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 10:21:21 am »
US 1:  I think there may be a point or two missing between US 130/NJ 171 and NJ 18.
A point or two indeed. The 1PPI gods are openly mocking us. One added, tentatively named ColFarmRd.

US 9W:  Should a point be added at High Ave (connection to I-87/I-287)?  I would use it if added as I used US 9W to turn around at the east end of NY 59.
Another odd duck. A case could be made for being 1PPI with NY59 as the other half the I-87 interchange is that way. A case could also be made for not-1PPI.
I could swear we looked at this one before; maybe it was something else similar with a bit of misbehaving parclo to it. (I must be thinking of this?)
Leaving it alone at least for now.

US 130:
3.   Is RenRd_E correct?
1-2. Done.
3. Do you mean RenBlvd_E?

Hm. A Jersey Freeway kinda blurs the bounds of Freeway, doesn't it. An interchange is one thing, but adding points for simple RIROs (BGS notwithstanding) could lead to mission creep.

NJ 18:  ComAve should be PaulRobBlvd (Paul Robeson Blvd).
Changed.

NJ 21:
1.   Should a point be added at South St (connects to US 1/US 9 freeway)?
2.   Note that I would add a point between 8 and 9 to keep the NJ 21 line closer to staying on the west side of the Passaic River.
1. Added.
2. Not added.

NJ 44:
1. Changed.
2. Looks like it should be about here. 44 Bypass, eh?

NJ 156:  Should a point be added at Church St (ChuSt) and/or Broad St due to their connections to the nearby US 130 interchanges?
Heh. They're partial, but each is its own distinct entity. Added both.

NJ 172:  CliSt_S should be RydLn (Ryders Lane).  NJ18 could arguably be slightly relocated as well.
Done and done.

NY 45:  Should there be a second Palisades Pkwy point just south of US 202?
Mm, nah. 1PPI. That'd call for a point at Concklin Rd too, etc.

NY 59:  The US 202 labels should be W and E instead of S and N.
Changed.

NY 303:  CR20 is probably close to enough to NY340 to consider a point here unnecessary.
I can see people using it though, to go between NY340 and the PIP to the north. Added.

NY 304: 
1.   Should RaiAve be a point?
2.   Should a point be added at Crooked Hill Rd (CroHillRd)?
3.   Note that MidRd may be CR33.
1. Was probably shown as at-grade back in CHM's early Google days? Hidden, because it's actually in-use. While in the neighborhood, added CroHillRd.
2. ...I guess that's a Yes.
3. Not signed as such on BGS or at the ramp termini.

NY 340:
1. LOL, there's at least one North sign. Hell of a lof more E/W signage though. Not flipped yet, but you can probably convince me to do so fairly easily.
2. HigAve is the original connector to US9W, in use. PieAve was added as the result of a newsworthy relocation.

NY 100C:  Is the shaping point east of NY 9A necessary?
BALEETED!

https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/5602
https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/5603
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 11:08:03 am »
A point or two indeed. The 1PPI gods are openly mocking us. One added, tentatively named ColFarmRd.

I think one point is fine.  That is how we would normally treat a situation like that.  Maybe an extremely misbehaving double half-diamond.

Another odd duck. A case could be made for being 1PPI with NY59 as the other half the I-87 interchange is that way. A case could also be made for not-1PPI.
I could swear we looked at this one before; maybe it was something else similar with a bit of misbehaving parclo to it. (I must be thinking of this?)
Leaving it alone at least for now.

I was originally thinking 1PPI honestly.  I had considered not even bringing this up.  I think we may be going 1PPI with NY 59 at Exit 15A too though.

Personally, I was trying to avoid getting on this short part of US 9W, but otherwise I would have been stuck in traffic for a while.

US 130:
3.   Is RenRd_E correct?
1-2. Done.
3. Do you mean RenBlvd_E?

Yes, I did.  You could make the case that the suffix is essential, but I thought that would make it RenBlvdE.

Hm. A Jersey Freeway kinda blurs the bounds of Freeway, doesn't it. An interchange is one thing, but adding points for simple RIROs (BGS notwithstanding) could lead to mission creep.

I think no-build is fine if treating it as a RIRO.  It would probably help with traffic if NJDOT just closed it IMO as the Garden State Plaza can be accessed by the Fairview Ave interchange to the south and by the NJ 4/Ikea Dr interchange.  This RIRO and the lane drop from 3 lanes to 2 lanes on NJ 17 SB just south of here caused heavy congestion even on a February Saturday.

NJ 44:
1. Changed.
2. Looks like it should be about here. 44 Bypass, eh?

I think that the ramps only exist for trucks to access the port.  I drove the road (wondering what was going on), and it just goes to what the HERE Maps show as A Line Rd.  From there, there was a security car and gates so I just had to turn around and head back to NJ 44.  I have no idea if the road will ever be extended in any form.  Maybe Steve Alpert may have an idea of what is really going on here.
NY 340:
1. LOL, there's at least one North sign. Hell of a lot more E/W signage though. Not flipped yet, but you can probably convince me to do so fairly easily.
2. HigAve is the original connector to US9W, in use. PieAve was added as the result of a newsworthy relocation.

1.  Maybe you did a me with forgetting about the edits to the labels US 322, PA 320, and PA 352 due to the US 13 relocation. ;D  The GSV link you posted shows an east banner for NY 340.
2.  I understand your point, and would be fine considering it as a no-build, if both points were not clearly part of the same signal.  I probably did at least three loops in this area (including clinching that truck route...).

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 12:04:36 pm »
US 130:
Yes, I did.  You could make the case that the suffix is essential, but I thought that would make it RenBlvdE.
The underscore definitely has to go.
My first thoughts, considering how the 'N' & 'E' legs meet up, was to consider the the 'E' essential.
And then there's this; maybe it's why you said Rd. I could call it RenRd, such being a different entity from RenBlvd, but maybe it's a Blvd after all. :( Oy vey...
Shapefiles & SLDs don't show these roads themselves, but the NJ_Roadway_Network shapefiles do list the two right-turn lanes/ramps as:
FR US 130 SB to RENAISSANCE BLVD
FR RENAISSANCE BLVD to US 130 SB

NJ 44:
I think that the ramps only exist for trucks to access the port.  I drove the road (wondering what was going on), and it just goes to what the HERE Maps show as A Line Rd.  From there, there was a security car and gates so I just had to turn around and head back to NJ 44.  I have no idea if the road will ever be extended in any form.  Maybe Steve Alpert may have an idea of what is really going on here.
I sent a PM on AARoads asking what's the craic.

NY 340:
1. Probably the last time I edited it I just failed to notice the combination of point ordering and signed direction.
2. The only person using HigAve added it to their .list after PieAve was added to the route, so they clearly meant HigAve. PieAve removed from my local copy.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 05:51:42 pm »
In regard to NJ 44 BYPASS, would that fit into facility routes like many of the 3XX VA routes or some AR routes?