Author Topic: AK: AK11 point request  (Read 447 times)

Offline alaxsxaq

• Last Login:July 27, 2022, 11:15:05 am
AK: AK11 point request
« on: June 24, 2022, 06:33:23 am »
I would like to request a point at South Fork Bonanza Creek (roughly here) on AK11 as this is where I turned around as the Arctic Circle turnout and campground were closed for fire crews working on the Fish Fire

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:03:34 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
Re: AK: AK11 point request
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 10:48:20 am »
Congrats on crossing the Arctic Circle, even if you couldn't turn off to celebrate at the official Arctic Circle sign, about nine miles south of your turnaround point.

We ordinarily don't place mid-route waypoints at non-road-intersection points such as river crossings, if there is a road intersection anywhere near. However, in an old (and no longer online) DOT route log, I found a pipeline service road intersecting AK 11 about 0.3 mile south of where you turned around. My local copy of the AK 11 route file now has a PipRd286 point there, which you can plug into your list file once I've pulled it into our system in the next few days when I have more time (on the road right now).

Offline alaxsxaq

• Last Login:July 27, 2022, 11:15:05 am
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 10:40:01 pm »
Oh right, I didn't even think about that. FWIW, there is a little infrequently used/lightly maintained road on the south side of the bridge over the creek that leads maybe 100 ft into a camping area or something, I don't really know what else it could be though. Not sure whether that would qualify as a road intersection or not, but thought I would mention it, as it might be a place one would want to stop. The Milepost calls it a "small area".

And thank you, it was a fun trip regardless. :)

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:03:34 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 12:18:29 pm »
Pull request submitted https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/5883

Your new PipRd286 point will be ready for you to use in your list file after our next site update, probably tonight.