User Discussions > Other Discussion

Loneliest roads in America

<< < (2/3) > >>

formulanone:
I'm surprised how many of these roads I've been on.

Alabama 5 is far from lonely in most places. It goes through the edges of Birmingham's metro area, for goodness sake! While AL 62 seems to have the lowest overall AADT, it's not really desolate. If we're looking for a sizable route length, AL 17 would be a really desolate one, passing though no towns of major significance (but a few county seats) and lots of quiet space in between.

Rhode Island 102 isn't that lonely. It just doesn't hit any major towns or cities.

Mississippi 57...really? It's one of the state's busier two-lane roads that isn't a US Route. Without choosing tiny spur routes into minuscule towns, 26 is fairly quiet. 30 is empty.

Florida 29 is a decent choice, though I think there's a few others with lower counts. It really goes though a lot of desolate places in between some small towns.

Bickendan:
No to both Oregon and California's.
I was just on CA 139 today between CA 36 and 299.
And did the entirety of US 395 in Oregon on Wednesday. An argument could be made for the ORH 49 portion, but OR 350 would likely eat its cake.

Jim:
They could at least put in a tiny bit of effort and use proper shields for their silly list.

dave1693:
In terms of fewest vehicles ENCOUNTERED -- which I know is a different metric -- the loneliest road I've ever traveled was I-25 in northern Wyoming, from south of Sheridan to north of Casper. I don't think we even SAW a single vehicle (didn't pass anyone, weren't passed BY anyone, nobody keeping pace within view, nothing the other way) for that 100-ish mile stretch.

kjslaughter:
Agree with all of above.  No idea their methodology.  I get trying to exclude tiny short spur routes, but to call a major connecting highway "the loneliest road" certainly feels like a stretch.  Be nice to know if they like did an average over the entire length of road?  Oh well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version