Author Topic: VA: GW Parkway abbreviation  (Read 419 times)

Offline IMGoph

• Last Login:Yesterday at 10:41:57 am
VA: GW Parkway abbreviation
« on: July 22, 2022, 01:48:55 pm »
While we're on the topic of very short routes, I was thinking about the name of one of the endpoints for Spout Run Parkway in Virginia. The end where it meets the GW Memorial Parkway is currently named "GeoWasPkwy," but the name used in TM for the GW Parkway itself has been updated. Should this endpoint (and any other endpoints with a similar deprecated abbreviation) be updated?

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:32:27 am
Re: VA: GW Parkway abbreviation
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 03:39:23 pm »
I found a few minor GW Pkwy and VA 309 point concerns that I would rather put here than in a new thread.

GW Pkwy (Crystal City):  I could not find evidence that the AviCir point labels are correct.  I would be fine with them just being ReaNatAir.

GW Pkwy (Langley):  I could not find evidence that CIAAccRd is correct. 

Not related to GW Pkwy:

VA 309:  KirRd could use a slight relocation.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 10:36:06 pm »
GW Pkwy (Crystal City):  I could not find evidence that the AviCir point labels are correct.  I would be fine with them just being ReaNatAir.

If anything they could change to SmiBlvd (Smith Blvd), as that is what both Arlington County and VDOT GIS data say the main loop road is named.

GW Pkwy (Langley):  I could not find evidence that CIAAccRd is correct.

The above-mentioned GIS data calls this either "ramp" or "outlet"...in other words, it doesn't have an official name.  I'd suggest "no build" here.

Offline mapmikey

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:31:39 am
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 10:56:02 am »
I went "no build" on renaming GeoWasPkwy labels for cross routes on the theory that we don't use full file names for Bus or ALT routes unless necessary.

I changed the AviCir labels to ReaNatAir.  The north interchange has both off-ramps going to a road that is signed in the field (2021 GMSV) as W Entrance Rd, while the main loop road forms the only on-ramp.