Author Topic: NV: US395BusRen  (Read 1392 times)

Offline cl94

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:43:37 am
NV: US395BusRen
« on: July 23, 2022, 12:35:00 am »
After driving the Reno business route of US 395 today, I am of the opinion that it no longer exists. Not only is it completely unsigned on the surface, it is impossible to drive the BR northbound due to a road diet in downtown Reno. The only evidence of the BR is a set of BGSes on US 395 at Exit 72, where the road does not have a local name. There is plenty of precedent for NDOT not removing shields/postmiles when they decommission routes, as evidenced by several former SRs in Carson City and Reno.

I propose deleting US395BusRen in entirety. The other routes that overlap with the BR still exist and are signed well.

For what it's worth, Corco is also of the opinion that it no longer exists given what is on the surface, and he's the one who insists everything be clinched if it exists on paper.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 08:55:56 pm
Re: NV: US395BusRen
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 01:29:24 am »
This matches with what I saw on the ground when I was in Reno at the end of June.
However, being a US highway, do we have AASHTO confirmation of a turnback?

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:24:33 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 05:58:18 pm »
This matches with what I saw on the ground when I was in Reno at the end of June.
However, being a US highway, do we have AASHTO confirmation of a turnback?

I don't think US business route deletions require AASHTO approval.

I just resurfaced after a few days offline, will follow up on the rest of this later.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 07:43:40 pm »
I'm trying to remember if there was a 395B indication from southbound 395 approaching Virginia St coming in from Susanville.

I'll trawl GMSV when I get home.

Offline cl94

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 08:32:07 pm »
I'm trying to remember if there was a 395B indication from southbound 395 approaching Virginia St coming in from Susanville.

That is the only remaining evidence of the route, but it's at a location where the road has no local name. Interchanges with I-80 and 580/385 are unsigned.

Given how NDOT is with this stuff, I don't think a sign in one location is great evidence of a route still existing. There are plenty of signs, some along NDOT roads, for routes that no longer exist or were truncated. Removing shields/postmiles is definitely not a priority. See this shield at the south end of NV 667 for a segment that was decommissioned a while back.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 08:40:44 pm by cl94 »

Offline US 89

• Last Login:March 15, 2024, 08:50:53 am
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 11:22:58 am »
And unlike in some states, business routes in Nevada are not exactly an official thing and are pretty much defined by whatever signage happens to be on the ground for them. Utah is the same way.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 10:12:51 pm »
I propose deleting US395BusRen in entirety. The other routes that overlap with the BR still exist and are signed well.

Does that include NV 430, concurrent with the north end of the business route (from its northern intersection with McCarran Blvd., north to US 395)? NV 430 is still on NVDOT's books, even if the business route isn't.

I'll check AARoads, and perhaps post an inquiry there. IIRC, its Pacific Southwest moderator lives there, and might be more familiar with the situation.

Offline cl94

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 10:48:37 pm »

Does that include NV 430, concurrent with the north end of the business route (from its northern intersection with McCarran Blvd., north to US 395)? NV 430 is still on NVDOT's books, even if the business route isn't.

I'll check AARoads, and perhaps post an inquiry there. IIRC, its Pacific Southwest moderator lives there, and might be more familiar with the situation.

I'd keep NV 430 on the north end. That exists and is signed well by urban NV standards. Similarly, the part that overlaps with US 395A is good.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 10:09:01 pm »
Not only is it completely unsigned on the surface, it is impossible to drive the BR northbound due to a road diet in downtown Reno.

Could you please elaborate on the "road diet" and how it obstructs NB traffic on Virginia St.? I didn't see any obvious obstruction in GMSV, but it's been a few years since a camera car went through downtown Reno.

I posted an inquiry on the AARoads.com forum, waiting for more responses.

Offline cl94

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2022, 10:47:00 pm »
Not only is it completely unsigned on the surface, it is impossible to drive the BR northbound due to a road diet in downtown Reno.

Could you please elaborate on the "road diet" and how it obstructs NB traffic on Virginia St.? I didn't see any obvious obstruction in GMSV, but it's been a few years since a camera car went through downtown Reno.

Virginia Street was reduced to one way southbound, with two-way bike lanes protected by pylons. At minimum, 1st Street to 4th Street has been changed in this way, with NB traffic forced off at 1st. No detour signs or anything, but the change appears to have happened this summer. When I was through there in July, a lot of drivers appeared confused and online mapping apps had not yet updated for the change.

I can try to get pictures in the next couple weeks, but they did a darn good job discouraging traffic from using the street.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2022, 04:07:10 am »
Can confirm northbound traffic being forced off of Virginia.
It was after dark, so any spotty signage would have been harder to spot.

Offline IMGoph

• Last Login:Yesterday at 10:41:57 am
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2022, 02:20:07 pm »

Virginia Street was reduced to one way southbound, with two-way bike lanes protected by pylons. At minimum, 1st Street to 4th Street has been changed in this way, with NB traffic forced off at 1st. No detour signs or anything, but the change appears to have happened this summer. When I was through there in July, a lot of drivers appeared confused and online mapping apps had not yet updated for the change.

I can try to get pictures in the next couple weeks, but they did a darn good job discouraging traffic from using the street.

Discouraging *car* traffic from using the street. Cyclists and pedestrian traffic is still very welcomed and encouraged. ;)

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2022, 09:33:20 pm »
^^^ See https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24009.msg2766176#msg2766176 for a possible explanation for the NB detour, which suggests (though I'm not yet convinced, since it's not based on local knowledge) that the detour or at least its poor signage might be temporary.

I'll wait for more comments.

Offline cl94

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2022, 09:47:11 pm »
This is something I might be able to get an official answer for in the coming weeks, so keep it open. The perks of working in government in the region.