Author Topic: CO: Part of CO 2 is now kinda sorta decommissioned  (Read 368 times)

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:38:25 am
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
CO: Part of CO 2 is now kinda sorta decommissioned
« on: December 03, 2022, 03:57:06 pm »
So a while back I noticed that part of CO 2 in Colorado's online inventory system is gone (up by the Rocky Mountain Arsenal). JayhawkCO was nice enough to field-check it for me (below).

Got a chance to drive up there today. So, there are zero reassurance markers north of I-270 on "CO2" itself. That said, there are references to it in a bunch of places.

This sign says "Old East CO2".
This shows that going east near 64th Street is CO2 East.
Shows a junction of CO2 at the end of CO44, and you can see the road is named "Highway 2" which is it all the way from US85 to I-76.
And even north of I-76, at the end of CO22, it shows junction CO2.

So... kind of. :)

Currently, I'm leaning towards keeping the Arsenal section, there's enough signage now to keep it. I am open to removing it though; what does everyone else think?
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline jayhawkco

• Last Login:February 05, 2024, 01:16:11 pm
Re: CO: Part of CO 2 is now kinda sorta decommissioned
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 11:11:03 am »
Now that I think about it... The CO22 signage is particularly old since it hasn't been on Sable Boulevard for a long time. The CO44 signage is "more recently old", but I think the fact that the sign off of US85 has been changed to "Old CO 2", they're kind of announcing its removal. The weird/dumb thing is that the road that goes by the arsenal is literally called "Highway 2" as opposed to any other street name, even though it's no longer CO Highway 2.

I also forgot to mention in our message that the exit from I-76 to Sable Boulevard doesn't have any reference to CO2, which it would have been not too long ago at least southbound.

This is one of the few times I think I'm in favor of removal.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:38:25 am
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
Re: CO: Part of CO 2 is now kinda sorta decommissioned
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 10:16:53 pm »
Now that I think about it... The CO22 signage is particularly old since it hasn't been on Sable Boulevard for a long time. The CO44 signage is "more recently old", but I think the fact that the sign off of US85 has been changed to "Old CO 2", they're kind of announcing its removal. The weird/dumb thing is that the road that goes by the arsenal is literally called "Highway 2" as opposed to any other street name, even though it's no longer CO Highway 2.

I also forgot to mention in our message that the exit from I-76 to Sable Boulevard doesn't have any reference to CO2, which it would have been not too long ago at least southbound.

This is one of the few times I think I'm in favor of removal.
I mean the service roads along I-90 in SD are often named "Highway 16" and "West Highway 14" or such, and those are county roads. After mulling it over, I'm in favor of truncating the route as well, and I'll do it in the next couple days unless there is a chorus to keep it.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton