Highway Data Discussion > Solved Highway data updates

HI: differences between DOT data and what is in the HB for Oahu

(1/3) > >>

Duke87:
In prep for a trip in March I am looking at this: https://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/home/oahu/oahu-state-roads-and-highways

Here I am making an info dump of everything and whether it matches what's in the HB. I intend to provide a full report on what is or isn't signed after I return from said trip.

Matches:
I-H1, I-H2, I-H3, I-H201, HI 61, HI 64, HI 65, HI 76, HI 83, HI 92, HI 99, HI 750, HI 7012, HI 7101, HI 7110, HI 7310, HI 8930

Not in HB (signage status ?):
HI 901, HI 7401, HI 7141, HI 7239, HI 7241, HI 7345, HI 7350, HI 7351, HI 7413, HI 7415, HI 7601, HI 8300, HI 8940, HI 8945, HI 8955

In HB but different:
- HI 93 officially ends at Kaena Point state park boundary, slightly shy of where marked in HB currently
- HI 98 officially continues up Halona St and Olomea St to Houghtailing St
- HI 930 officially ends at Kaena Point state park boundary, past where marked in HB currently

oscar:
A quick look:

8940, 8945, 8955 were unsigned last I was there. They are roads on the now-privatized Barbers Point naval reservation. Some milemarkers, no route numbers.

901 is barely signed, marked only by a small white number plate under the milemarker at the west end.

Many of the others "Not in HB" are short unsigned access roads to military bases. 

More comments to follow.

SSOWorld:
93 may end at the park but it is signed at the intersection where it is marked. (Apr 2022)

Duke87:
Scouting report: 93 and 930 both clearly end on the ground where the HB shows so I'd leave those as is.

There may not be any signs for 98 west of the H1 ramps but there also is no indication it specifically ends there. I do think it should be extended west to Houghtailing St to match what the official description shows.

Didn't find any other surprises (at least not in terms of route signage).

For the Big Island (where I was yesterday), I didn't drive everything but what I did drive looks correct. It is of note that mile markers for HI 200 still exist all the way into downtown Hilo, including a zero milemarker at the intersection of Waianuenue Ave with HI 19, but official documentation is quite clear that that has been downloaded to county jurisdiction so I'd say that's mapped correctly and the milemarkers are leftover.

The way Crater Rim Drive is mapped as intersecting HI 11 is a little awkward since that's not actually what the road does, I would recommend moving that point to the intersection with the access road. Which yes means losing the graph connection but is more correct.

Heading to Kauai tomorrow, will drop any comments about that here if I have them.

Duke87:
Kauai Comments:

HI 560 needs to be truncated slightly, to about here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=22.220940&lon=-159.579423
OSM shows this as a gate. Ground truth is... yup, gate, and the road is no longer driveable past this point.

The stream ford at the end of HI580 has been replaced with a bailey bridge (the ford structure itself appears to have washed out at some point), so the KawiStrFord point label is no longer accurate and should be changed to something else.

HI 520, 530, 543, 552, and 581 are all pretty well signed. 520 and 530 even have state spec mile markers. I know currently what's in the HB deliberately excludes any roads that aren't state maintenance but... man, from a driver's perspective you cannot tell the difference with these. Is there any particular reason I'm missing why these roads are handled differently from county-maintained roads that are signed as state routes in other states (e.g. NY)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version