Author Topic: Mapping 6+ lane freeways  (Read 13711 times)

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 09:33:24 pm
Re: Mapping 6+ lane freeways
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2023, 11:37:36 pm »
Jim/NE2, you can go ahead and add Bickendan’s Oregon Update above if you wish.  I cannot promise when I can enter it.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 02:25:53 am
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2023, 07:11:45 pm »
After reviewing, I would be inclined to include 490 6-8, but not 8-9.  481 3-4 is a hard no.

Why have we arbitrarily decided that if a stretch of 6 lanes only lasts between two consecutive interchanges it doesn't count? I-490 exits 8-9 and I-481 exits 3-4 both look like six lane freeways to me.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:57:34 am
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2023, 08:01:16 pm »
After reviewing, I would be inclined to include 490 6-8, but not 8-9.  481 3-4 is a hard no.

Why have we arbitrarily decided that if a stretch of 6 lanes only lasts between two consecutive interchanges it doesn't count? I-490 exits 8-9 and I-481 exits 3-4 both look like six lane freeways to me.
I'd say 481 3-4 is essentially an auxiliary lane northbound, with the slight complication of the left lane exiting at 4. 490 8-9 is also auxiliary lanes, though I'm more inclined to call them thru lanes if they connect two freeways.

As for why we decided this, a four-lane freeway with auxiliary lanes between every adjacent pair of interchanges (example: IN KeyPkwy from 116thSt to 136thSt) does not have six thru lanes.

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2023, 11:12:19 pm »
Jim/NE2, you can go ahead and add Bickendan’s Oregon Update above if you wish.  I cannot promise when I can enter it.

Done here.  (https://github.com/TravelMapping/UserData/pull/8980)

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:Yesterday at 07:12:59 pm
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2023, 05:37:57 am »
Was IL I-90 recently reconfigured at 84? Everything I can find shows 6 lanes continuing into the merge with I-94, but https://travelmapping.net/hb/showroute.php?units=miles&u=6lane&r=il.i090 currently has a gap. Maybe it's this project, but unless it's going to be permanently reduced after construction, I don't think a gap makes sense.
Good play.  It will always be 3 general purpose lanes through.
Completed:
* Systems: DC, WI
* by US State: AR: I&; AZ: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I*; NE: I; NJ, I; OH: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI; (AR, IN pending expansions.)

*Previously completed

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 26, 2024, 08:34:52 pm
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2023, 10:53:52 pm »
For Idaho, US 20 or 26 should also be included: I-184 13thSt

Offline SSOWorld

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2023, 09:42:23 am »
For Idaho, US 20 or 26 should also be included: I-184 13thSt
Done

https://github.com/TravelMapping/UserData/pull/8999

Side note.  Two more UserData PRs and...

Completed:
* by US State: AR: I&; AZ: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I*; NE: I; NJ, I; OH: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI; (AR, IN pending expansions.)

*Previously completed

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2023, 02:37:22 pm »
Oops I did the ID thing first.  It does not matter which one is closed, but I would not get to close mine until later.

EDIT:  I closed the one I made earlier.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 08:06:05 pm by Markkos1992 »

Offline SSOWorld

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2023, 10:18:02 pm »
Oops I did the ID thing first.  It does not matter which one is closed, but I would not get to close mine until later.

EDIT:  I closed the one I made earlier.
Call it a tie
Completed:

*Previously completed

Offline webny99

• Last Login:April 12, 2024, 11:56:19 pm
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2023, 11:14:36 pm »
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this project, I think it's pretty much complete for the US. There's data logged for 47 states + DC, and the remaining three states (MT, VT, WY) have no existing six-lane mileage. It's imperfect, but still a great resource and much, much better than anything that existed previously.

Sorting by mileage then country provides some interesting data to parse through: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=6lane&units=miles

Unsurprisingly, Ohio stands out as the gold standard for six-laning. It's the only state with a population under 20 million that comes particularly close to 1000 miles of six-lane freeways logged, although that may be a bit skewed if the I-80/I-90 overlap gets counted twice. Even so, it's well ahead of next-place Georgia and actively adding to that with widening projects on I-70 and I-71.

Another interesting note: a state's six-lane mileage ranking tends to track pretty closely with its population ranking. 9 of the top 10 are the same in both categories, with NJ replacing PA in the six-lane mileage category. Most of the states at the bottom are also unsurprising.

PA has a surprisingly wide variance, being #5 in population but #23 in six-lane mileage. I was stunned that PA has only about 1/3 as much six-lane mileage as NY, given that PA feels like it has more *rural* six-lane mileage than NY (or am I just putting too much weight on the widened Turnpike segments?), but I guess the lack of mid-sized cities (in which NY stacks considerable mileage upstate) plus Pittsburgh and Scranton not having anything with a consistent six-lanes really skews PA down the list.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 10:07:37 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2023, 08:49:43 pm »
I was looking at NY for an AARoads thread a couple days ago and noticed that someone added the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge to it.  Should that be included?  It meets the two mile length, but WB the right lane is closed outside of rush hour so that it can be used as a shoulder (this is the typical configuration, making it arguable that this is actually five lanes with shoulder running.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2023, 09:26:28 pm »
I was looking at NY for an AARoads thread a couple days ago and noticed that someone added the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge to it.  Should that be included?  It meets the two mile length, but WB the right lane is closed outside of rush hour so that it can be used as a shoulder (this is the typical configuration, making it arguable that this is actually five lanes with shoulder running.

I added it after some waffling. My thoughts were that if the part-time lanes are always physically there, they should count, but if they're reversible and thus not there when traffic flows the other way, they shouldn't count. But I can't really argue strongly either way.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 10:07:37 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2023, 04:36:53 pm »

I added it after some waffling. My thoughts were that if the part-time lanes are always physically there, they should count, but if they're reversible and thus not there when traffic flows the other way, they shouldn't count. But I can't really argue strongly either way.
That and I'm not sure that most people actually obey the lane signs unless the Bridge Authority cones off a lane or something.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline webny99

• Last Login:April 12, 2024, 11:56:19 pm
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2023, 10:28:04 am »
Can this thread be used to report changes to 6lane (for those of us who aren't github users)?

If so, here are some updates for BC:

BC TCHMai (concurrent with BC1) has at least six general purpose lanes from 25 to 44, and from 50 to 58.

25 has six lanes on either side, but not through the interchange. Meanwhile, 23 to 25 is currently included, but does not meet the 2 mile threshold.

Also, I'm not sure if there was a final verdict on HOV lanes. I would argue that they do not count, as they do not have the same effect on traffic flow as a general purpose lane.

But if they do count, all of BC TCHMai 25 58 can be included.

(It seems very odd to exclude 44A to 48 when it has 10 lanes total, but it's separated into two carriageways; the outer one is ramp access only, and the inner one has only four general purpose lanes + 2 HOV lanes).

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2023, 02:20:52 pm »
Can this thread be used to report changes to 6lane (for those of us who aren't github users)?

If so, here are some updates for BC:
BC 1 is actually in the file up to 61, but it's not showing up because there's no point yet for 61.