Author Topic: TX I-10 missing interchanges west of San Antonio  (Read 1190 times)

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:23:58 pm
TX I-10 missing interchanges west of San Antonio
« on: July 12, 2023, 05:56:13 pm »
538 should move to the Ranger Creek Road underpass
545 at the Balcones Creek Road underpass
548 at the Buckskin Drive underpass

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 07, 2024, 11:18:57 pm
  • I like C++
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:23:58 pm
Re: TX I-10 missing interchanges west of San Antonio
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 06:52:54 am »
538: https://travelmapping.net/devel/manual/points.php#unusual_shapes
A half diamond at Ranger Creek Road is an unusual shape?

545: Within footprint of 546. 1PPI.
It's really not. This is one of those Texas things where the ramp exits to the frontage road a mile before the actual interchange.

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 09:29:24 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 02:30:37 pm »
Add another one just on the 'east' of San Antonio.

584 Woodlake Pkwy - Opened sometime between May '19 & April '21.  (Would also need to be added to US-90 & TX-130.)

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 02:25:53 am
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2023, 06:15:05 pm »
It's really not. This is one of those Texas things where the ramp exits to the frontage road a mile before the actual interchange.

From west to east, in order, we have:
- the EB offramp for 546
- the WB offramp for 545
- the EB offramp for 548
- the WB offramp for 546

I get that they're numbering the exits based on the intended ultimate destination and not where the ramp actually leaves the freeway, but yeesh what a mess.

I kinda feel like ideally there should be two points here, one centered between EB 546/WB 545 and the other centered between EB 548/WB 546. But that would mean significantly moving the location of the 546 point which is in use, soooo... IDK.

Ultimately I don't object to going no build on this. It's imperfect but so would be any alternative, and it's undisruptive.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 07, 2024, 11:18:57 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2023, 10:46:13 am »
538 is not a half diamond. It's a Texas frontage road setup.
In TX, slip ramps leave the mainline and intersect parallel frontage roads. Along these frontage roads, there's local access & local roads (sometimes with access to the other side of the freeway, sometimes not), sometimes more ramps (onramps or offramps, in whatever order), sometimes not.
Sometimes, there's only one intersecting road, sometimes more than one, sometimes none. Whether there's a grade separation or not.
Partial interchanges of every shape and configuration are common, as are adjacent interchanges' footprints overlapping.
Point placement can be easy & obvious if there's one offramp & onramp on each side of a single grade-separated crossing. But very often, this is not the case.
With all this going on, the straightforward practices of how to handle more garden-variety interchanges start to break down. Things become more of a judgment call.
The most salient part of the manual link was the bit about "Use your best judgment."
538 is placed at the southernmost intersection before the frontage road merges back into the mainline, and that's sufficient.

It's really not. This is one of those Texas things
It really is. Precisely because this is one of those Texas things.

where the ramp exits to the frontage road a mile before the actual interchange.
The ramps are the interchange. They connect to the frontage roads, and any other intersections downstream/upstream are incidental. There's no corresponding west-"pointing" half to center us around any particular location.
Be careful not to conflate "interchange" with "grade separation". These are different things, and one does not mean the other.

584 added.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca