Highway Data Discussion > In-progress Highway Systems & Work

mexdfeje: Ejes Viales in Mexico City

<< < (2/4) > >>

michih:

--- Quote from: neroute2 on November 30, 2019, 10:48:38 pm ---
--- Quote from: michih on November 28, 2019, 12:08:33 pm ---The route names should be renamed.

File names:
mexdf.eje1nte.wpt --> mexdf.e001n.wpt etc. (3-digit route numbers, cardinal directions just one-digit)

--- End quote ---
I'm not sure this is appropriate. The shields spell out the abbreviations, and we have no rules about how many letters to use in file names.
--- End quote ---

@yakra did start a discussion about it a while ago. We do minimum use 3-digits for route numbering. I've changed dnkpr from 2 to 3 digits because it was the only exception.

I've suggested to truncate the visible names (Eje -> E, Nte -> N etc.) and you didn't disagree. I think that the file names should follow the same policy. I don't know whether we need a rule for it, but I think it's best practice.

si404:

--- Quote from: michih on November 28, 2019, 12:08:33 pm ---The route names should be renamed.

File names:
mexdf.eje1nte.wpt --> mexdf.e001n.wpt etc. (3-digit route numbers, cardinal directions just one-digit)

--- End quote ---
I'm not sure this is appropriate. The shields spell out the abbreviations, and we have no rules about how many letters to use in file names.

--- End quote ---
I concur.

Arguably the directional suffix to the number could be treated like a banner?

--- Quote from: michih on December 01, 2019, 04:12:31 am ---I've changed dnkpr from 2 to 3 digits because it was the only exception.
--- End quote ---
eure is still an exception!

neroute2:

--- Quote from: michih on December 01, 2019, 04:12:31 am ---I've suggested to truncate the visible names (Eje -> E, Nte -> N etc.) and you didn't disagree.

--- End quote ---
I do disagree...

michih:

--- Quote from: neroute2 on December 01, 2019, 09:35:23 am ---
--- Quote from: michih on December 01, 2019, 04:12:31 am ---I've suggested to truncate the visible names (Eje -> E, Nte -> N etc.) and you didn't disagree.

--- End quote ---
I do disagree...

--- End quote ---

I could only find this: http://travelmapping.net/devel/manual/hwydata.php

--- Quote ---The route is a concatenation of 3-digit zero-padded number designation (e.g., a005, us042, pa343, la3132), the banner if applicable (bus, trk), and the 3-letter Abbrev. if applicable (e.g., cat, pit).
--- End quote ---

The rest is not defined. I wrote what I think is best practise.

--- Quote from: si404 on December 01, 2019, 05:03:40 am ---

File names:

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I concur.

Arguably the directional suffix to the number could be treated like a banner?
--- End quote ---

I could agree on a 3-letter banner.

--- Quote from: si404 on December 01, 2019, 05:03:40 am ---
--- Quote from: michih on December 01, 2019, 04:12:31 am ---I've changed dnkpr from 2 to 3 digits because it was the only exception.
--- End quote ---
eure is still an exception!
--- End quote ---

I know and did omit it on purpose. They are also not zero-padded. I could change it (for all regions if requested) if that's the only argument for keeping the Mexican route file names. Just let me know...

Jim:
I generally like to keep things concise, but my preferences here are:

Use Eje rather than E.

Pad to 3 digits in filenames for consistency with (almost) everything else.

I'm not sure about using banners for the directional part.  Banners usually mean the routes are related.  Here, it's more of a street grid kind of numbering away from a city center.  I think of it more like the I-35E/I-35W cases.  I'd make them part of the route name, and have a small preference for the 3-letter abbreviations as on signage vs. single letter directional abbreviations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version