Author Topic: region.php and system.php  (Read 12689 times)

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
Re: region.php and system.php
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2021, 06:10:52 pm »
Given the recent change to top stats, perhaps another idea would be to add shields to region and system like CHM had?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Online Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:27:44 am
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2021, 10:05:18 pm »
Given the recent change to top stats, perhaps another idea would be to add shields to region and system like CHM had?

Yes, that would be good.  Those pages need some work, so I've added this idea to an existing Issue: https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/issues/574

Offline formulanone

• Last Login:March 25, 2024, 05:01:03 pm
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2021, 10:01:10 am »
Would it be possible to create an anchor at the statistics, so that when one clicks/selects the "Overall ___ Region Statistics", it will go right to the "Travelers in Region ___" section?

Online Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2021, 10:36:12 am »
Would it be possible to create an anchor at the statistics, so that when one clicks/selects the "Overall ___ Region Statistics", it will go right to the "Travelers in Region ___" section?

Sounds easy enough.  I want to make sure I'm understanding what you're suggesting.  What page would have the link and where, and what page would have the anchor/target?

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2021, 01:19:57 pm »

Sounds easy enough.  I want to make sure I'm understanding what you're suggesting.  What page would have the link and where, and what page would have the anchor/target?

region.php has five paragraphs:
- Region map
- Overall Region Stats
- Stats by System
- Stats by Route
- Travelers in Region

I think @formulanone is talking about a direct link from https://travelmapping.net/user/ "Stats by Region" table to "Travelers in Region" of region.php.

I'd prefer an index on top of region.php with direct links to the paragraphs or a reorganization of region.php + system.php as suggested upthread.

For instance:

I'd like to have kinda "tabs" for a quick jump to the desired table:
user/region.php: Overall region stats / stats per system | Stats by Route | Travelers in Region
user/system.php: System stats / stats per region | Stats by Route | Travelers in System (new)
user: Overall stats / Links | Travelers in continent (new) | Travelers in country (new) | Stats by region | Stats by system

The first "tab" should always be visible when the page is reloaded.

The link to the map could be on top next to user + units (+ system + region) selection which should always be visible independent of the "tab".

The "tab" is just a more complicated way to implement an index on top but it can also be used to jump back.

Note that the Travelers by System table is still missing. I think it is the most wanted feature....

My top priority for web front end is:

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that rankings by system don't exist. Is this new? If so, it would be nice to see the individuals listed at the end of the page similar to the rankings by region. Or is this a programming/display issue?

It is a programming issue. The table was never implemented. There is already an issue in the backlog: Web #97 List of travelers who have traveled a system.

If we really wanna improve anything for travelers by region, we should do the very same for travelers by system. Just my 2ct.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 01:22:09 pm by michih »

Online Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2021, 01:55:09 pm »
If any of the specific ideas here aren't already in GitHub Issues in the TravelMapping/Web repository, it would be very helpful to get them in.  That's where I'll most easily find them.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2021, 03:20:20 pm »
If any of the specific ideas here aren't already in GitHub Issues in the TravelMapping/Web repository, it would be very helpful to get them in.  That's where I'll most easily find them.

I think that the basic issue is #574 Update region.php and system.php

Related to some extent:
- #97 List of travelers who have traveled a system
- #54 multi-region countries and continents stats

@ALL: Feel free to add ideas and suggestions.

Offline theFXexpert

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:June 30, 2023, 02:59:08 pm
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2021, 10:34:46 am »
Would it make sense for the links in the route table for system.php to go to the showroute page of the connected route instead of mapview so it's consistent with region.php behavior?

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2021, 07:37:01 pm »
Would it make sense for the links in the route table for system.php to go to the showroute page of the connected route instead of mapview so it's consistent with region.php behavior?
I think so, yeah. Maybe system.php links to mapview because that was implemented before ConnectedRoutes in the HB were?
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2021, 11:33:59 pm »
Note that the Travelers by System table is still missing. I think it is the most wanted feature....

My top priority for web front end is:

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that rankings by system don't exist. Is this new? If so, it would be nice to see the individuals listed at the end of the page similar to the rankings by region. Or is this a programming/display issue?

It is a programming issue. The table was never implemented. There is already an issue in the backlog: Web #97 List of travelers who have traveled a system.
The programming issue being that the programmers never got around to programming it. ;) Rectified:
https://tmstage.teresco.org/user/region.php?u=formulanone&rg=ME
https://tmstage.teresco.org/user/system.php?u=formulanone&sys=usame

Also included:
• anchor as requested by formulanone
• rank numbers like CHM used to have

Comments, thoughts?

I like the idea of having separate "travregion" & "travsystem" pages like CHM used to. Open to discussion there; this was just quick to get going by adapting the code region.php already had.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2021, 11:38:51 am »
Comments, thoughts?

Well, fine. The anchor is just an anchor (you can specific #rankings in the url) but it is not yet called, no index etc. No need for thoughts. The new table is great :)

I found a little misbehavior with the new system traveler ranking table: https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/issues/97#issuecomment-865131575

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2021, 12:23:00 pm »
The link to the anchor is in the header of the anchor is the first table, which I believe is what formulanone asked for.
May not be the most intuitive or best from a UI standpoint, the the philosophy was get-something-better-than-nothing-in-there, and think about more streamlined longer-term options in the future. :)

• rank numbers like CHM used to have
http://tmstage.teresco.org/user/system.php?u=froggie&sys=usame&rg=NH#rankings
https://tmstage.teresco.org/user/region.php?u=froggie&rg=DC#rankings
In case of ties, Rank numbers don't match what's in the first table up top. Should be an easy fix.
Edit: Fix is live on lab2.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 01:02:59 pm by yakra »

Offline formulanone

• Last Login:March 25, 2024, 05:01:03 pm
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2021, 05:32:49 pm »

I think yakra figured out what I meant - I can't find the thread, but CharlotteAllisonCDTG was looking for a way to quickly get to "all user's stats in that region", and I figured a link to the bottom of the page would be a nice feature. Sort of like an anchor tag within a webpage; click it, and it jumps past all of the routes, and right to the stats on the same loaded page. 

The header seemed to be the most intuitive place to put it, since the other two options link to a clinched route page or an in-system route page.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 05:35:22 pm by formulanone »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2021, 08:02:37 pm »
I believe your post was moved from here to here.