Web Design Discussion > General Web Design Discussion

Updating map tile options

(1/7) > >>

Jim:
As part of this summer's work on METAL, I'm planning to add a few of the new map tiles now available through leaflet providers (http://leaflet-extras.github.io/leaflet-providers/preview/).  It looks like I can add the ones from Jawg and possibly the ones from CartoDB.

However, our list is already quite long and I expect there are some options that no one would miss if they went away.  A few no longer work.  I'm almost definitely going to cut back the default list on HDX to just a handful, and probably will choose something other than OSM Mapnik for the default there.  I'm willing to leave a more lengthy list on TM maps, but would like to keep the list to only those tile sets that are useful to someone.

Are there tile sets you definitely think are useless that should be removed?

Are there ones you like and use a lot that would be annoying to you to have removed?

Are there ones on the leaflet-providers demo page that we don't currently have that you'd like to see added?  Note that not all are available for free, so your favorite might not be possible.

michih:
I agree that we currently have too much tiles.

I frequently use:
- Open Street Map Default
- Esri WorldImagery

I sometimes use:
- TM Blank White
- TM Blank Black

I sometimes used:
- Open Street Map German Style (when I had that annoying loading issue with OSM Default)

si404:

--- Quote from: Jim on June 24, 2021, 02:42:55 pm ---Are there tile sets you definitely think are useless that should be removed?
--- End quote ---
There's the ones that are just artsy renderings of other maps we have. They don't add anything really and the maps aren't particularly useable
* Thunderforest Pioneer
* Thunderforest Spinal Map (its pretty unreadable too with black-on-dark grey)
* Stamer Toner (though the hybrid version on leaflet is a big improvement as the lines for roads have Mapnik underneath it providing more context)
* Stamer Watercolor
* ESRI World Gray Canvas
--- Quote ---Are there ones you like and use a lot that would be annoying to you to have removed?
--- End quote ---
Mapnik, German OSM (though if that was replaced by French OSM, I wouldn't mind as it does the same thing, just with a different appearance and a different default language), ESRI World Imagery.

--- Quote ---Are there ones on the leaflet-providers demo page that we don't currently have that you'd like to see added?  Note that not all are available for free, so your favorite might not be possible.

--- End quote ---
OSM.France - OK, it's benefits are similar to OSM.DE, namely the transliteration of non-Latin characters where possible and the showing of proposed routes. Arguably it's not as good as the German version (less transliterations available), but I'm still bitter that Mapnik changed from that cartography and it was very nice to see that colour scheme again!

If free, then GeoportailFrance / GeoportailFrance.ignMaps would be great. Similarly there's USGS layers.

Markkos1992:
The HERE Hybrid Day maps are very useful to me personally as they include satellite imagery.  I definitely want to keep those.

vdeane:
Do all the current tile options even work?  Mapbox and Hydda don't seem to.

--- Quote from: michih on June 24, 2021, 03:09:08 pm ---I agree that we currently have too much tiles.

I frequently use:
- Open Street Map Default
- Esri WorldImagery

I sometimes use:
- TM Blank White
- TM Blank Black

I sometimes used:
- Open Street Map German Style (when I had that annoying loading issue with OSM Default)

--- End quote ---
I think that's a good core set.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version