Author Topic: WY: Yellowstone Park Roads waypoint names and new points  (Read 485 times)

Offline IMGoph

• Last Login:Yesterday at 10:41:57 am
WY: Yellowstone Park Roads waypoint names and new points
« on: July 17, 2022, 03:19:05 pm »
Not that it's a big deal, but the shortened name for the Great Loop Road in Yellowstone is "GraLpRd," but when it's a waypoint for some other roads that meet it, it's "GraLoopRd."

Is the discrepancy something that should be standardized?

EDIT: Also, would it be possible to add new waypoints on the road? For example: for Blacktail Plateau Drive on the northern end of the loop. There is a paucity of waypoints on that section (in part because there just aren't a lot of connecting roads) but this is one that honestly would help make my record-keeping more accurate here.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 03:35:17 pm by IMGoph »

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:38:25 am
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
Re: WY: Yellowstone Park Roads waypoint names and new points
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 11:07:43 am »
Not that it's a big deal, but the shortened name for the Great Loop Road in Yellowstone is "GraLpRd," but when it's a waypoint for some other roads that meet it, it's "GraLoopRd."

Is the discrepancy something that should be standardized?
Why not. I'll adjust the shortened name to follow the waypoint naming conventions.

Also, would it be possible to add new waypoints on the road? For example: for Blacktail Plateau Drive on the northern end of the loop. There is a paucity of waypoints on that section (in part because there just aren't a lot of connecting roads) but this is one that honestly would help make my record-keeping more accurate here.
Sure, for NPS roads I think using turnouts and trailheads as waypoints is valid. There any others you want specifically besides Blacktail Plateau?
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline IMGoph

• Last Login:Yesterday at 10:41:57 am
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 09:21:32 am »
Also, would it be possible to add new waypoints on the road? For example: for Blacktail Plateau Drive on the northern end of the loop. There is a paucity of waypoints on that section (in part because there just aren't a lot of connecting roads) but this is one that honestly would help make my record-keeping more accurate here.
Sure, for NPS roads I think using turnouts and trailheads as waypoints is valid. There any others you want specifically besides Blacktail Plateau?

Both ends of Blacktail Plateau, and add the other end of Virginia Cascade Drive on Norris Canyon Road, please. Maybe add North Rim and South Rim Drives around the Yellowstone River Canyon area too? Thanks!

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 01:30:20 pm »
Cool, I'll throw those in the next time I do a route update.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator