Author Topic: ND: US 85 reroute in Williston, new US 85B (!?)  (Read 4322 times)

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:10:34 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
ND: US 85 reroute in Williston, new US 85B (!?)
« on: July 06, 2016, 12:24:09 am »
As foreshadowed in some discussion in the old CHM forum and over at AARoads, the western bypass of Williston is now complete, and signed as a US route. It's now part of vanilla US 85, rather than Bypass US 85, with mainline US 85 traffic directed onto the new alignment. US 2 has been left alone, with US 85 signage on its route mostly but not completely removed. This avoids the problem with US 17 in Elizabeth City NC, which has business, regular, and bypass US 17s -- in Wiliston, there's business and regular US 2, and a separate regular US 85.

More perplexing is a new eastern bypass signed as "85B" within a US route shield (not with a business, bypass, or other banner). It's not really a business route, but it's not entirely a bypass either since its south end is at ND 1804 and it only connects to US 85 at its north end (where regular US 85 now rejoins US 2 north of town).

More to follow when I settle down for five nights in Regina SK, and can process details and photos I took here in Williston. I still need to travel part of US 2 north of the airport, and most of US 2 business, on my way out of town tomorrow morning.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:52:14 am by oscar »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 07, 2024, 11:18:57 pm
  • I like C++
Re: ND: US 85 reroute in Williston, new US 85B (!?)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 10:55:04 am »
Thanks. Sounds like a headache. I'll wait for your followup.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:45:25 pm
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 09:13:32 pm »
That actually does sound like an ND thing to do; ND 23B only connects to ND 23 on one end in New Town.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 09:19:40 pm »
The ND Travel Information Map has the new US85B alignment as under construction.
http://www.dot.nd.gov/travel-info-v2/ (zoom in on Williston)
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 12:00:34 am »
That actually does sound like an ND thing to do; ND 23B only connects to ND 23 on one end in New Town.

AR does that too, but IIRC there the "B" stands for "business". US 85B goes nowhere near any retail businesses except the Love's travel center at the US 2/85/85B intersection. Moreover, there's already a US 85 Business in Williston (concurrent with the better-signed US 2 Business), with several remnant signs downtown, though my hunch is that it will disappear now that it's been disconnected from the US 85 mainline.

IIRC, the state hasn't asked for or received AASHTO approval for either the relocation of the US 85 mainline or the new US 85B. Maybe ND is one of those states that just doesn't bother to get AASHTO approval for U.S. route changes.

EDIT: In addition, we need to tweak the routings of US 2 Bus, US 85 Bus, and ND 1804 in downtown WIlliston. All three have been moved from 2nd St. down one block to 1st St., east of 2nd Ave. West. ND 1804 also has been moved off part of Broadway with a truck ban. OSM shows the correct routing for ND 1804, part of which is now shared by US 2/85 Bus.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:30:49 am by oscar »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 02:05:26 am »
IIRC, the state hasn't asked for or received AASHTO approval for either the relocation of the US 85 mainline or the new US 85B. Maybe ND is one of those states that just doesn't bother to get AASHTO approval for U.S. route changes.
I thought maybe they'd asked for a relocation at a recent meeting, but a quick look at my notes suggests this is not the case. Maybe I'm confusing things with an article or AARoads post I read or something. Or maybe I imagined it. I dunno man I didn't do it. 'Spossible they may request the change at an upcoming meeting...
I think in general they do get AASHTO approval though. Watford City & Alexander, and some other recent changes come to mind.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 10:45:00 am »
AR does that too, but IIRC there the "B" stands for "business".
I meant the way the route only connects with its parent at one end; but that works too. ND and SD (when SD uses suffixed routes) have the "B" stand for "bypass" while the business loops get an "L" suffix (which may or may not be signed, but it's in the official designations). That is inconsistent, but ND is a long ways from AR.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 11:18:36 am »
I meant the way the route only connects with its parent at one end; but that works too. ND and SD (when SD uses suffixed routes) have the "B" stand for "bypass" while the business loops get an "L" suffix (which may or may not be signed, but it's in the official designations). That is inconsistent, but ND is a long ways from AR.

That makes sense, and supports file-naming the new 85B as US85BypWil. No conflict with the new western bypass, which is signed as vanilla US 85, or the existing US 85 business route in Williston.

Any plans to extend 85B south to re-connect to 85? I didn't see any indication at the ND 1804 intersection (which has an End 85B sign). If there's any construction on US 85 south of Williston, I missed it in the sun glare as I was approaching Williston just before sunset.

EDIT: I've started a new thread on this subject on the AARoads forum. It has more info, especially on the routing of the new US 85B. I'll later post some photos over there as well.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:59:57 pm by oscar »

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 09:54:39 pm »
Any plans to extend 85B south to re-connect to 85? I didn't see any indication at the ND 1804 intersection (which has an End 85B sign). If there's any construction on US 85 south of Williston, I missed it in the sun glare as I was approaching Williston just before sunset.
I doubt it, as that would require a new bridge over the river. I think that 85B is designed for traffic coming into Williston from the east on 1804 (or going out that way); if you want to go south on 85 you just have to go around the whole of Williston.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 09:07:17 pm »
Don't know if this'll help or not, as ND's internal designations sometimes differ from what's in the field:

https://www.dot.nd.gov/docs/maps/state/2015CDRS_Combined.pdf

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 10:46:43 am »
Don't know if this'll help or not, as ND's internal designations sometimes differ from what's in the field:

https://www.dot.nd.gov/docs/maps/state/2015CDRS_Combined.pdf

It helps, except US 85B was added after the map was done.

I can implement the various Williston area changes when I get back home next week.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 03:08:28 pm »
Updates are in the HB.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 09:42:55 pm »
Thank you for handling these changes.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 11:42:32 am »
I believe Oscar took care of everything here. Marking this thread as solved. If there's anything that still needs attention, mark as unsolved if you can, and leave a reply with what still needs to be addressed.