Author Topic: SD: usanp Numbered Routes  (Read 882 times)

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:38:25 am
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
SD: usanp Numbered Routes
« on: October 16, 2023, 06:36:04 pm »
I was doing some county road relation tagging on OpenStreetMap, and apparently Delaware Water Gap NRA isn't the only NPS institution to have numbered roads, as Wind Cave National Park has NPS 5 (sign)and NPS 6. Like Delaware Water Gap, these are extensions of county routes, but this is western South Dakota and county roads are 1-lane and gravel. They likely don't meet inclusion criteria, but I'm bringing them up solely because they're 2 out of the 4 numbered NPS roads in the country.

Interestingly, Custer State Park has a numbered route network (at the end of https://www.custercountysd.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/CusterCountyAtlas2022.pdf, Custer County seems to be a bit pedantic on route numbering) but that doesn't necessarily qualify as its own system, just thought it was unique.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 09:39:17 am by the_spui_ninja »
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:08:41 pm
Re: SD: usanp Numbered Routes
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 08:41:28 pm »
What's in the link is text on a guide sign. Are there any shields for either?

The DWGNRA examples have shields.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:38:25 am
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
Re: SD: usanp Numbered Routes
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 09:39:02 am »
I'd have to go bushwhacking in Custer County for that one, if there are shields they're likely on the street blades per county policy (example from Custer State Park), and there aren't street blades at the one intersection we have images for.

Like I said, probably not worthy of inclusion, but it's an interesting trivia bit that I thought y'all would think was neat.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton