Author Topic: TX: US 87 Big Spring moved to bypass  (Read 5094 times)

Offline rlee

• Last Login:February 11, 2024, 09:27:14 am
TX: US 87 Big Spring moved to bypass
« on: December 05, 2016, 02:04:38 am »
TxDOT opened the south half of a US 87 bypass around Big Spring back in the summer. When I drove the other day, the exit that had been under construction last year was signed as an exit for US 87 South.  I think it was Exit 173. TxDOT did not have any US 87 Business signs at Exit 177 US 87, but based on the articles, the old highway through downtown should be US 87 Business. I did not stop to take photos or explore.

Articles:
http://www.bigspringherald.com/content/ribbon-cutting-marks-completion-relief-route-project
http://www.newswest9.com/story/32469491/officials-to-celebrate-grand-opening-of-south-portion-of-us-87-truck-relief-route

Project Info:
http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/abilene/us87.html

Google Aerials:
https://goo.gl/maps/Q3tnYPdXrtx. The bypass is the under construction road that loops around the SW side of the Big Spring airport.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 07, 2024, 11:18:57 pm
  • I like C++
Re: TX: US 87 Big Spring moved to bypass
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 09:25:58 pm »
Thanks. This has been on my radar, but I had no idea it was this far along. Business 87 was approved by AASHTO. I will look into it later on tonight.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 01:58:49 pm »
Phase 2

N. U.S. Hwy 87 Relief Route ribbon cutting ceremony took place Wednesday

Amanda Duforat Aug 5, 2020 Updated Aug 5, 2020

Dignitaries, local leaders - county and city - along with TxDot representatives and community members gathered together Wednesday morning in celebration of the completion of the North US Hwy 87 Relief Route.

During the ribbon cutting ceremony, Senator Kel Seliger and State House Representative Drew Darby spoke about the project and the vision behind the construction. Representatives from U.S. Congressman Jodey Arrington's office and TxDot officials were also present and offered a few thoughts on the project.

"This is not just a highway, it's a vision," Senator Kel Seliger said.

As the Ports to Plains project continues and funding is sought, the new completed section of the relief route is a possibility for the connecting route and I-27 designation.

Edit: https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/4182

Ping rlee:
Without modifications to rlee.list, you'll be incorrectly shown as having traveled US87BusBig N of I-20 (for the moment still part of I-87).
With modifications to rlee.list, you'll lose your 100% clinch of US87BusBig. :(
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 06:46:11 pm by yakra »

Offline formulanone

• Last Login:April 16, 2024, 05:13:37 am
Re: Texas outlook
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 10:07:03 am »
The NW section of US 87 in Big Spring (I-20 to the north end at US 87 Business) was unclinchable back in October 2020. I figured its opening isn't far off, but the ramps on the north end were far from ready at the time.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
Re: Re: Texas outlook
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 01:45:39 pm »
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 01:48:25 pm by yakra »

Offline formulanone

• Last Login:April 16, 2024, 05:13:37 am
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 07:11:31 pm »
This was the view from westbound I-20 exit for US 87 (the bypass), last September/October:

This was northbound on "US 87 Business" where US 87 will meet up back to the mainline:

They removed the US 87 shield (or it fell off?) at the old exit for I-20, though there are "Business" banners on US 87 shields through town.

Offline rlee

• Last Login:February 11, 2024, 09:27:14 am
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 11:07:13 pm »
It probably fell off. It was gone on some but not all signs at this exit when I last drove through there in January 2020 when US 87 was on the old route north of I-20. There were several other shields missing in spots along I-20 in west Texas.

They removed the US 87 shield (or it fell off?) at the old exit for I-20, though there are "Business" banners on US 87 shields through town.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 11:04:21 am »
Or, it could be that the shield was removed. (Though, why not just slap a Business banner on the existing one?) The '"Business" banners on US 87 shields through town' should not be discounted.

Every other source I've seen corroborates construction on the bypass itself finishing in August...

Construction on the northern portion was completed in August 2020.

According to Tanya Brown, with the Public Information Office for the TxDOT Abilene District, the new US 87 Truck Relief Route is 32 lane miles. It runs from IH-20 to North US 87. She stated that the north portion starts North of the FM 700 and US87 intersection and meets the South portion at IH-20.

Brown advised that the Southern portion is also complete. You can now go from North of Big Spring to South of Big Spring. TxDOT is currently working on a bridge that will connect US 87 with FM 700. She advised that There is some minor work to be done on the North section that will be accomplished with day time lane closures.

This bridge is still listed on the TXDOT Project Tracker, while the bypass itself is not.

I believe that's what we see in formulanone's 2nd photo -- construction on the FM700 / US87Bus interchange. It's related to the overall project, but not directly on the relief route itself. Note how TO SOUTH 87 <-- is signed, not covered. This directs traffic along the last little piece of FM700, and then onto the bypass.

The first photo is indeed odd; I gotta conclude the main lanes of the bypass itself were open, but the interchange ramps were not. A red herring.

I'm not convinced that the Big Spring relief route is not open to traffic now, or even that it wasn't when the photos were taken.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 11:07:25 am by yakra »

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:06:16 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 11:27:42 am »
The DOT's DriveTexas.org website shows the bypass as complete, with no closures or roadwork around the US 87/Business US 87/FM 700 intersection.

I looked in part because I'd like to re-clinch US 87 on an upcoming trip to Texas, once I've completed my Covid-19 vaccinations next month.