Author Topic: HDX loading traveled graphs  (Read 8922 times)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 05:41:06 am
HDX loading traveled graphs
« on: May 10, 2019, 11:02:50 pm »
I was able to complete the first steps toward using traveled graphs in HDX.  If you load a traveled format graph instead of the previous collapsed or simple, it will color edges based on the number of travelers rather than the number of concurrent routes.  I have some ideas of how to make this better, but I'm happy to hear yours.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
Re: HDX loading traveled graphs
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 11:14:05 pm »
In the test HDX version, I'm experimenting with special colors for untraveled edges (gray) and edges with just a single traveler (green), with everything else on the blue-purple-red scale from 2 to max.

http://courses.teresco.org/metal/hdxtmtest/

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 02:35:49 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 03:14:32 am »
I have some ideas of how to make this better, but I'm happy to hear yours.

Ok ;)

Green looks "more important" than (bright) blue. I'd prefer having colors used as for concurrent routes (blue = 1, green = 2,...).

The other issues are not just traveled graphs related but also general:
First, color legend would help because I'm not sure about the blue colors, e.g. "bright blue" looks similar to grey.
My most desired feature is hiding markers. It's generally important to be able to analyze graphs when being zoomed-out to get findings and zoom-in there only.
And of course, infowindow. For instance, I could easily find out who's the traveler, I could know that I can even change wp label in use, if it's just in use by me.

In general, HDX still has the known behavior, for instance, as mentioned here.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 10:11:11 am »
I would like to highlight the 1 traveler case as special, as I think it's a TM accomplishment to be the only traveler on a segment, though green might not be the best choice.

I've added edge popups to the http://courses.teresco.org/metal/hdxtmtest/ version this morning.  I don't know why the earlier functionality (same info, minus travelers) got removed.  I'll need to do some testing to see if this plays nicely with other file formats and with algorithm visualizations.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 12:14:54 pm »
I would like to highlight the 1 traveler case as special, as I think it's a TM accomplishment to be the only traveler on a segment, though green might not be the best choice.

Black? Gold?

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 12:50:09 pm »
Info window is great! Damn great! :)

It only looks a little bit odd when a nmp file is loaded.
Is it possible to separate the endpoints by a line feed instead of <-> ?

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 02:16:55 pm »
For colors, I think I'm going to try yellow/gold for 1-traveler segments, then go from green for 2 travelers up through the blues for larger numbers, to red for the most-traveled.  Shouldn't be too hard and I hope to try it today to see how it looks.  Adding the button to hide all markers is a priority also.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 02:34:37 pm »
I think that your latest code is not yet on Github.... your ranges are likely 0 = grey, 1 = green, 2-5 blue, 6-10 brighter blue, 11-15 bright red, 15-19 darker red,...
When you look at it, you might think that 6-10 colored segments have less travelers...

btw: It would be great to be able loading traveled graphs via option 1 in addition.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 03:37:00 pm »
Legend discussion: https://github.com/TravelMapping/EduTools/issues/206

For colors, I'm planning to have a continuous gradient along the HSV wheel from 2 (at green, 120 degrees) to maxTravelers (at red, 360 degrees).

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 03:49:28 pm »
It's fine to me but please apply it for concurrent routes too.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 04:40:36 pm »
Latest now in:

Color wheel as described above for travel counts 2 to max. 

When up to 5 travelers have traveled a segment, list them right in the popup instead of requiring the mouseover to see the list.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 06:56:03 pm »
Can now hide markers in the http://courses.teresco.org/metal/hdxtmtest/ version.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 08:24:30 pm »
With most segments being lightly traveled, graphs will tend to be predominantly green.
I find it a bit visually jarring, and counter to "red advances, blue recedes". 0 blue or purplish, thru cyan-green-yellow-orange-red to 100% would be more intuitive IMO.
A snag is that the yellow along this spectrum conflicts with its current use for single-traveler segments. Perhaps more of a gold per michih's suggestion, maybe like the color used for Tier-5 systems in mapview.
This is somewhat ameliorated by gold segments being located mostly among gray & blue segments, and yellow segments largely along a green<->orange continuum.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:29:46 pm by yakra »
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 08:42:25 pm »
Just switched to a log scale.  Get into the blues very quickly, purples pretty quickly, shades of red before you know it.  Not sure if I like it or not.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 09:03:28 pm »
I'm also unsure on the log scale. Perhaps a bit much variation. I think I prefer the linear? With a caveat...

Just before I hit reload upon reading your last post, I noticed that red for maxTravelers looks to be based on the total number of travelers in a given graph, rather than the most-traveled segment.
cantch-system-traveled.tmg never got hotter than a sky blue at QC TCHMai A-40(66) A-40(68).
The hottest AB-region-traveled.tmg got, on TCH 1 west of Calgary toward Banff, was still on the green side of cyan.

Setting red to the most-traveled segment rather than the total number of travelers could, using a wider range of colors, make differences more visible.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca