Author Topic: NY: NY-324's 'western' end  (Read 10337 times)

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:48:09 am
NY: NY-324's 'western' end
« on: October 14, 2021, 10:57:48 pm »
I'm curious, but why do we have NY-324 on I-190 between exits 20A & 21?  I can't find any signage to back this up and think that the 'western' end of this route should be at I-190 Exit 20A.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Re: NY: NY-324's 'western' end
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 03:35:30 pm »
usany was one of the first state systems to go live on CHM; back then more emphasis was on route logs & such for drafting systems, vice signage.
GMSV existed there I think, though blurry & less usable and... I don't think we were in the habit of using it yet.

The manual's annoyingly silent on what to do for partially signed routes. Probably all for the best though; one size doesn't fit all.
If I were to be consistent with what I've done in other states, I'd cut it back to 20A as you suggest.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 11:18:05 pm by yakra »
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 07:25:41 am »
The manual's annoyingly silent on what to do for partially signed routes. Probably all for the best though; one size doesn't fit all.
If I were to be consistent with what I've done in other states, I'd cut it back to 20A as you suggest.

Thoughts?

That's how I operated in FL.

Look @ FL-105 for example.  Logs (GIS) say that it joins up with FL-A1A to go up the coast line beyond the Mayport Ferry all the way up to Fernandina Beach @ the Atlantic/Fletcher intersection.  However, signage ends at the Mayport Ferry, and it's just solely signed as FL-A1A after that.  Thus, I just followed what the signage showed, and ended FL-105 @ the Mayport Ferry.  Originally, I was like you fully relying on the log, and I had the full distance of the route on the site till we all agreed that FL should only be the signed segments (and then all that painstaking work splitting out the unsigned segments, lol).

So, yes, fully agree that NY-324 should be shortened back to Exit 20A, due to no signage along I-190 going over the bridge there.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 10:17:16 am »
Stupid interchange mitosis.
Do I simply cut it back to I-190(20A) & leave the rest as-is, or also delete LongRd & 1PPI the end into I-190(20) (moving the coords so there's a graph connection here) because the road N of here is a de facto glorified onramp?

FL105, eh? Oh, this is fun too. At the W end, we have this and then that (which used to be this), and one of these, which may or may not mean much if they're just posting it a bit early, with NORTH in lieu of JCT. No mention of FL105 here but OTOH they may just be not bothering signing a lame-duck route.
Most telling I think is the change of the NORTH to a TO; as for the first link I wonder what we'd see if we had more recent imagery than Sep 2019.
I'm sure what you did followed the route logs when usafl was drafted, but is it possible the official route has changed since then?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 10:59:49 am by yakra »
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:51:15 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 10:45:50 am »
I lean just cutting it back to I-190(20A).

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2024, 11:41:47 am »
FL105, eh? Oh, this is fun too. At the W end, we have this and then that (which used to be this), and one of these, which may or may not mean much if they're just posting it a bit early, with NORTH in lieu of JCT. No mention of FL105 here but OTOH they may just be not bothering signing a lame-duck route.
Most telling I think is the change of the NORTH to a TO; as for the first link I wonder what we'd see if we had more recent imagery than Sep 2019.
I'm sure what you did followed the route logs when usafl was drafted, but is it possible the official route has changed since then?

I know, it's something I need to deal with.
https://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=5475.0

Offline cockroachking

• Last Login:Yesterday at 11:44:15 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2024, 06:29:56 pm »
I would vote for option 2 since it matches what was recently done with the NY5S/NY890 mess.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2024, 09:26:43 pm »
I would also vote option 2 as traffic going the EB direction wouldn't travel on the I-190(20A) LongRd segment.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2024, 05:40:11 am »
Problem is, both interchanges function as separate ones.

So, in order to not mess up I-190, you would have to 'end' NY-324 @ Exit 20B instead.

I personally wouldn't have too much issue with that solution.  Just as long as the 'LondRd' point that's currently in the file is kept.

==

On a side note, should we add an extra point into NY-324's file @ Stanley Road?  Never know when/if NYSDOT would have to force I-190 NB traffic off on the 18A ramp and then back on via Stanley due to a wreck.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 05:43:29 am by rickmastfan67 »

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2024, 02:37:24 pm »
I lean just cutting it back to I-190(20A).

I support this option.

It's worth noting that if you want to clinch NY 324 heading eastbound there is nothing stopping you from turning onto the section of Grand Island Blvd north of Long Rd, and then making a U-turn right before the onramp begins. There's even a business' driveway there such that this can be done unsketchily.

1PPI would not be appropriate as 20A and 20(B) are clearly very distinct interchanges.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2024, 04:11:50 pm »
I took a look on Traffic Data Viewer and it's worth noting that BOTH the eastbound route on Long Road and the westbound route merging into the ramp from exit 20A are identified as NY 324.  Also worth noting on street view that all signage for NY 324 disappears at Long Road and the I-190 SB sing for exit 20A says "NY 324 east", not "TO NY 324 east" (even on the ramp), so if we're going by signage, ending NY 324 at 20B is the correct way to go.

And finally, NYSDOT inventories routes by primary direction, which is eastbound, so TM declaring that westbound is the "true" route and that any roadgeeks who want to clinch NY 324 must do so westbound would be inconsistent with that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.