Author Topic: Re: zafr2: South Africa 3-digit Main Provincial Roads  (Read 414 times)

Offline shiggins

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:08:40 am
Re: zafr2: South Africa 3-digit Main Provincial Roads
« on: July 16, 2024, 11:41:41 pm »
What about 3-digit R routes e.g. Cape Town's outer beltway R300?
That one is in zaff. The others (and metropolitan routes) might get drafted, but not by me in the near future.

@si404 Would it be alright if I drafted the 3-digit regional routes?

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:44:57 am
Re: Re: zafr2: South Africa 3-digit Main Provincial Roads
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2024, 02:35:49 am »
yes

Offline shiggins

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:08:40 am
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2024, 01:01:44 pm »
What do you think should be the system code for the regional routes? I'm leaning towards zafrr or zafr2. (I don't think we should lump the regional routes in with the provincial routes; the RDDA treats the two- and three-digit R routes as separate systems, and they have differently shaped shields.)

I think we should probably split South Africa into individual provinces before I add the regional routes. By my back-of-the-napkin estimation (230 routes multiplied by 100 miles each), adding the regional routes will bring South Africa up to at least 40,000 miles of mapped highways, if not substantially more. As far as I can tell, that would make South Africa our largest region by highway mileage by a significant margin. The largest regions we have on TM right now (which I'm pretty sure are Nouvelle-Aquitaine, England, and Texas) are at about 33,000 miles and already take an annoyingly long time to load on Mapview. (The first two also lag a small but noticeable amount when I scroll or pan around in Mapview.) Splitting South Africa into multiple regions would leave open the possibility of adding the metropolitan route systems without pushing a single region into the 50,000-60,000-mile range.

I'm willing to do the work of splitting all the .wpt files by province if you don't want to.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 01:04:23 pm by shiggins »

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 05:46:52 am
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2024, 02:18:51 pm »
I'm willing to do the work of splitting all the .wpt files by province if you don't want to.

I appreciate splitting ZAF. However, there are 8 users affected. 8 users would have to update there list files (ua747sp has 1,300mi, others less).
We discussed splitting Italy back in 2021 (78 users affected now). Since splitting France, Germany and Spain was pain for many users, @yakra came up with a deprecated/hidden system category idea (like alt routes or alt wps), i.e. a seamless split into regions. I wish we could apply this to ZAF too.

I've triggered yakra if he still wants to implement that. I think you (or si404) can start splitting the routes like si404 did for Italy by introducing zaff2, zafn2, zafr2, zafrtr, zafsf, zaftah systems (not sure if we need afrtah since it's still in devel). We should then check the split systems on https://tmstage.teresco.org/ first.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:44:57 am
Re: zafr2: South Africa 3-digit Main Provincial Roads
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2024, 05:15:02 pm »
I've inserted border points within the files for South Africa, and created all the files for split South Africa.

The split systems are currently commented out, but I've run them through datacheck and they work.