Author Topic: canbc (British Columbia Provincial Highways)  (Read 16550 times)

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:12:45 am
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 05:59:16 am by si404 »

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
Re: canbc (British Columbia Provincial Highways)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 01:41:16 pm »
The "route name" and the ".list name" of BC5A is BC5 only.

For any reason, my log file has a strange entry:

Code: [Select]
Waypoint label(s) not found in line: BC BC5 177 286
I've no idea what's wrong and it's displayed correctly on the map?!?!?

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:12:45 am
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 01:49:16 pm »
^^ Fixed

Offline julmac

• Last Login:February 18, 2024, 02:44:15 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 04:55:07 pm »
The south end of BC17 should be routed along Belleville Street, ending at the Port Angeles Ferry terminal. There is some signage from northbound BC/TC1 pointing to BC17 along Blanchard street but that should probably be considered as a connector route only since it is not possible to travel this route in the southbound direction.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:36:37 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 06:59:57 pm »
One of the sources cited on CHM's Sources and Links page is now a dead link, The new link is Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure,  Official Numbered Routes in British Columbia.

Worth a quick review to make sure the endpoints we have for the canbc routes need any changes, or for any missing routes. For example, BC's official description of BC 113 disagrees with our HB's routing, with the route officially turning west toward the coast where the HB has it turning inland toward BC 37. (I might drive the route soon, and can do a field check on this.)

For logs of signs and other landmarks I used to confirm the official status of TCH 1 Business in Chase: Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, Landmark Kilometre Inventory.

Another source I used in BC, especially on the poorly-mapped (at least at the time I revamped its route file) part of TCH 1 through Fraser Canyon north of Hope, are readings from my handheld GPS receiver. If lat and long coordinates for a waypoint both end in "0", odds are high they came from my GPS receiver (which spits out coordinates with only five digits, rather than six, after the decimal point).

I have some other notes here and there from when I compiled list file entries for BC, mostly minor stuff such as waypoint labels. I might have more after I revisit BC next month, so I'd prefer to save them until then. Biggest one: south endpoint for BC 77 should be BC97 rather than BC77.
'
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 09:51:26 pm by oscar »

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 10:53:37 pm »
For example, BC's official description of BC 113 disagrees with our HB's routing, with the route officially turning west toward the coast where the HB has it turning inland toward BC 37. (I might drive the route soon, and can do a field check on this.)

I did the field check today, but noticed that the 113 route file has been redone in the meantime. Some remaining tweaks probably needed, later.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 11:48:37 pm by oscar »

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 09:50:25 am
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 11:47:06 pm »
I'm reviewing the whole set, and am starting with the shortest routes. More to come.

First off, some general comments:
  • I like the inclusion of an extra point near the US border for several of the routes, which I assume is for Canadians without passports who may wish to near-clinch a route and get credit for as much mileage as possible. Seems new, since I don't see anything like this in other sets.
  • Overall many of the files have more waypoints than seem necessary for shaping and distance, but if you're putting in the work to add all those I see no benefit in asking you to remove them.
  • Why do all instances of BC1A, BC3A, and BC19A have a suffix? The usual practice seems to be that the longest version of a route with multiple segments is suffix-less.
  • I really really need to visit BC.
On to the routes under 30 miles long.

These are fine in their current form:

BC1Bus
BC17A
BC22A
BC41
BC91A
BC97Con
BC97Lia
BC97Low

Suggested changes:

BC1AVan: TranBC says that it ends at the Vancouver city boundary (on the bridge), and I don't see any signage in Vancouver. No overall mileage will be lost since the route continues as BC99; MarDr -> MarDr_E; TayWay -> TayWay_S; BurDr -> IngAve

BC2: BC/AB point is off; SwaLaRd -> SwanLakeRd (and point is off); OldEdmHwy_S off; ArdRd -> ArnRd; DayRd -> BriRidRd; 50Ave -> 50Ave_W (& point off); RolRd off; AdaRd doesn't intersect BC2 so use 7St instead; 116Ave off; BC49 off; 13St off; 17St off

BC3AKer: UppBenRd off

BC4A: ends at BC19 not BC19A per TranBC & GMSV

BC7B: BC1_E may be unnecessary per 1 point per interchange rule, but if you want to keep it call it BC7_W since it doesn't connect to BC1

BC9: N end is at EspAve per TranBC (& GMSV shows signs 2 blocks south of there); BC7_W off; TutRd -> TuyRd; WelRd -> WheRd

BC10: LanByp_W -> 56Ave_E; FraHwy signed as BC1A; 232St_S off; 72Ave off

BC11: Are both 2ndAve & 4thAve needed? Same for HazRd (if you want to keep it, then -> HazAve)

BC13: FraHwy off (and signed BC1A)

BC15: FraHwy signed as BC1A; BC1/17 off

BC17: S end is at OswSt per TranBC; ViewSt off; JohSt off; HilSt -> HilAve; are ClaAve & PieDr really necessary; add exit 15; 18 -> MarRd; KenCroRd -> 18; IslVieRd -> 19; MtNewCroRd -> 21; AmiDr off; McTavRd off & -> 26; BeaAve -> 28

BC17Ric: Fry off & ->TsaFry; BC1/15 off

BC18: the west end should be routed onto Cowichan Valley Hwy & Cowichan Lake Rd and end at roundabout (N Shore / S Shore) per TranBC; LakeCow off & -> YouRd

BC19ANan: NorDr -> JinPotRd since NorDr also intersects it at BowRd

BC21: PorRd off (& appears unnecessary); KooRvrRd off

BC22: BellPla -> 2ndSt; BC3B_E off; BinRd_W -> BinRd; BinRd_E -> WarHillRd; 15thAve -> 12thAve; 5thAve off

BC23Nak: UppArrLakeFry -> GalBayFry

BC30: End should be at Port Alice municipal boundary per TranBC (so probably north boundary?), which would eliminate NigSt; consider moving MarMai to nearby Marble River Rec Area entrance

BC31A: BC6 off; no road at 8thSt; BC31 off

BC35: both ends off

BC39: N end should be at Alberta Dr per TranBC; no road at ParEastFDR except on Google Maps

BC43: SpeHeiDr -> SpaHtsDr; did you verify CumCrkForRd on a non-Google source because I can't find one (or another name)...maybe a shaping point would serve better here

BC49: Rd215 -> 2150Rd; Rd211 -> RolRd; Rd205 -> 205Rd; Rd201 -> 201PRd (yes there's a P on the sign)

BC91: 0 -> BC99 (no exit 0 signed); 7 -> 6; 10 -> 9; add 15; 20 -> 21; 21 -> 22; 22 -> 23; ends at 23 not ShellRd

BC97B: GarLakeRd off; 20AveSE -> 20Ave; 10AveNE off

BC97D: BC97C off; PonAve off; ChaAve off; CamAve -> GolfCouDr; SurSusLakeRd -> SurLakeFSR

BC395: USA/CAN off; PonRd -> PonDr; MainSt doesn't intersect

Consider adding BC1A Abbottsford (signed with BC10 and at intersections with BC 13 & BC 15 in GMSV imagery as recent as 7/2015)

Consider adding BC7A, which is (as of GMSV in 6/2015) signed in several places along Hastings St despite (according to Wikipedia) being decommissioned a few years ago.

Consider deleting BC1AChe (I could not find any signage)

I should have a few more done by next weekend.

Clinched:

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 11:58:26 am »
A few notes:

Bickendan did the first draft of canbc, which explains all the extra points. So feel free to suggest point reductions.

BC23Nak: -- agree, and similar change to the other half of BC 23

BC97Low -- LowPostAccRd => LowPostRd (this is something I knew about for awhile, but never got around to posting)

For routes you haven't yet covered:

TCH/BC 16 (Haida Gwaii) -- I re-did it, and field-checked it, only change that should be needed is to pull a new labeled waypoint out of my handheld GPS  receiver, to remove a visible distance error. Many maps show the route extending west from the Skidegate ferry terminal to Queen Charlotte, or northeast from Masset, but having driven both of those roads I'm confident those maps are wrong.

BC 27: TransBC's  route definition  in its list of numbered routes is thoroughly confusing, such as referring to an apparently non-existent cross-street. The north end now in the HB looks most consistent with signage on the ground, but you could also check the Landmark Kilometre Inventory route logs (link on the Credits and Sources page) to be sure. EDIT: The LKI indicates that BC 27 extends north of Fort St. James to the Tachie Rd./Takla Rd. intersection, north of where the HB now has it but south of where Mapnik thinks the highway ends.

If we extend BC 27 north of Fort St. James, please include a labeled waypoint at the northern junction of Stuart Lake Hwy, with Ash St., where Ash St. turns into the parking lot for a waterfront park. That was my turnaround point, and would also help with shaping.

BC 113: the turn west to Gingolx is not at the shortcut now in the HB, but one intersection north at Nass Rd. (signage is thoroughly ambiguous about where BC 113 turns west, I'm going with TransBC's official route definition).

BC 118: The Landmark Kilometre Inventory says the north end doesn't make the left turn into Granisle at McDonald Avenue, but rather continues north another 0.41 km on Babine Dr. to the Granisle marina on Babine Lake. BCTrans seems pretty good about signing turns you need to take to stay on a route, and there is no such signage at the McDonald Ave. intersection (nor is there an END sign at the marina, the pavement just ends at the unpaved marina parking lot).

Some additional stuff that can be done post-activation, and will have to wait until mid-March when hopefully I will have completely recovered from Thursday's eye surgery:

I have GPS coordinates to plug in to fix some visible distance errors on TCH/BC 16 (mainland portion), BC 27, BC 113, BC 118, and part of BC 97 south of Prince George.

Also, I'll want to dig through my back issues of the Milepost to figure out whether to request points for any significant realignments of BC 97 between Dawson Creek and Fort Nelson, which I last traveled in 1994 (north of Fort Nelson, I re-clinched in 2012, less likely to have major realignments since then). The Alaska Highway is constantly being straightend, which resulted in its being shortened by 60 km between 1994 and 2012.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:12:32 pm by oscar »

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 11:35:15 am »
Just one note on latest round of changes:

BC 27: DouAv/StuDr => StuDr (unlike for route numbers, only one street name per waypoint). I'm subbing in AshSt a little farther north, so this won't affect my list file.

Also, for provincial routes that are completely concurent with TCH routes (five in BC, two in AB. and several in MB, as well as others elsewhere). is it technically possible to have the csv files for the provincial routes point to the filenames for the TCH routes (such as for BC1 replacing bc.bc001 with bc.tchmai), with all future changes made only to the TCH route files? That would be a convenient way of keeping the files in synch, and avoiding duplicate route file updates.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 02:16:54 pm by oscar »

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:14:53 pm
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 03:10:34 pm »
Also, for provincial routes that are completely concurent with TCH routes (five in BC, two in AB. and several in MB, as well as others elsewhere). is it technically possible to have the csv files for the provincial routes point to the filenames for the TCH routes (such as for BC1 replacing bc.bc001 with bc.tchmai), with all future changes made only to the TCH route files? That would be a convenient way of keeping the files in synch, and avoiding duplicate route file updates.

We could make a symbolic link, but I don't think that concept exists in a good form in most Windows filesystems.  Doesn't affect me, but I know some of our contributors use Windows.

A better way might be to make a new kind of CSV entry that would be an alias for another existing route.  Might not be too bad.

Either solution would require all entirely concurrent routes (that want to use such a solution) would have to have identical waypoint labels.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 10:15:05 pm »
I'm one to shy away from any changes to CSV formats unless absolutely necessary
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 11:40:55 pm »
Tweaks to BC 113: ToNassRd and ToNisHwy => VetRd_S and VetRd_N. The shortcut between those points is named Vetter Rd.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 03:08:44 pm »
Tweaks to BC 113: ToNassRd and ToNisHwy => VetRd_S and VetRd_N. The shortcut between those points is named Vetter Rd.

A glitch in how this was implemented in the HB:

VetRd_N => NassRd (IIRC, the original label)

ToNisHwy => VetRd_N

"ToNisHwy" is the northwest end of Vetter Rd.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 09:50:25 am
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 09:38:55 pm »
Review for routes 30-50 miles long:

BC3A: MarRd off; BarRd off; KeiRd off 

BC3ACre: WadRd off; CraCrkRd off; HailRd -> HallRd 

BC3B: BC3_W off; MayRd -> MannRd; CarDr -> EHwyDr; OldSalRd_W -> BluRd; OldSalRd_E -> OldSalRd 

BC8: SunVlyRd_E & _W switched; WilRd is a driveway and unnecessary; PettCrkRd -> PetCrkRd 

BC12: SnaFlaRd -> SnaFlatRd; KirFlatRd -> KirFlaRd; FouCrkRd -> FouVlyRd 

BC26: good

BC27: QuaDr -> QuaRd; AirRd -> AirRd_N; NecRd off; DouAve/StuDr -> DouAve_N or StuDr_E

BC37A: BearRivTrl -> DavSt

BC95A: MisRd off; SirRd_* -> StiRd_*; StMaryLakeRd -> StMaryRd

BC97A: OttLakeCroRd -> OttLakeXrd (also off); SmiDr -> SmiRd; SteCroRd -> SteXrd (also off); EndMabLakeRd -> CliAve

BC101Pow: Fry -> SalBayFry; RDLakeRd off; DonRd off; BackPoiRd -> BlaPoiRd (also off); DucLakRd -> DuckLakeRd; MarRd off; JoyAve off; DunSt off & WhaSt would be a better point location; FryAcc not a street nor a ferry access point (that's at Wharf St); ArbAve -> ArbAve_S; AtinAve -> AtlAve; KinAve -> KingAve; EagRd -> EagDr; FinBayRd -> FinnBayRd; LKI shows that route ends at ferry terminal   

BC118: MicBayFSR does not intersect
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:42:47 pm by mapcat »
Clinched:

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 05:54:04 pm »
BC118: MicBayFSR does not intersect

Agreed. Suggest a replacement point at the next intersection to the south, for Marina Way (northern access to the provincial park).

One or two more point suggestions based on handheld GPS readings, to cover the long gap between BC16 and AnnsRd, may follow in a week or two, once my vision has fully recovered from eye surgery.