Author Topic: Region with most mileage is somewhere you've never lived?  (Read 9414 times)

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
Re: Region with most mileage is somewhere you've never lived?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 08:00:08 pm »
It seems more likely that this would happen for someone from Maryland or Connecticut.

🙋

I live in Connecticut and while I have clinched all mileage within it, there are no fewer than 8 regions in which I have more miles.

That said, I didn't have any of this prior to my last move, as New York (where I lived for a while) was and still is my #1 region in terms of raw miles clinched. The most mileage I have anywhere that I've never lived is in Pennsylvania, which is #2 overall currently... however Texas is only about 100 miles behind for active+preview... and if the FMs were live it would be #2. (It was #2 without the FMs prior to this past weekend, but I went and clinched a bunch of roads in PA, so...)

Since some people live in states with small amounts of primary mileage, a better question might be this, which surprises me whenever I think about my own answer:

What is an absurdly small amount of mileage you have in an adjoining state to you?

I mean... only three states adjoin Connecticut. Two of them I have 100% clinched, and the third is the aforementioned New York which I am at 72.92% of. I don't even have a great answer if I broaden "adjoining" to "nearby" as there is no northeastern state I am under 30% in.

But how about we flip this question around: what is an absurdly large amount of mileage you have in a region nowhere near you?

For this I submit the fact that in spite of having always lived in the northeastern US, the two Canadian provinces in which I have the highest percentage of their systems clinched are... Yukon (45.32%) and British Columbia (29.23%). Making it even more fun is that every single inch of road I have clinched in those provinces is all from one trip. I have been to much closer Ontario and Quebec numerous times, but am at a far lower percentage in both (9.87% and 10.36%, respectively).
That said, Quebec is ahead of Yukon for me (but not British Columbia!) in terms of raw mileage.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 08:05:33 pm by Duke87 »

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2021, 09:18:38 am »
what is an absurdly large amount of mileage you have in a region nowhere near you?

Finland! I've been there for seven days in 2017 but have 2732 miles :D
It is #6 of my regions.

My regions #1 and #2 are very close with each almost 8,000 miles. Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria are the regions where I always lived. Always very, very close to the state border but at different locations.

Offline jayhawkco

• Last Login:February 05, 2024, 01:16:11 pm
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2021, 06:37:48 pm »
But how about we flip this question around: what is an absurdly large amount of mileage you have in a region nowhere near you?

I'd submit my 1,113 miles in Iceland despite only having been on one trip there.

I already mentioned I have a high percentage (33.9%) in Idaho and I've only been there 5 or 6 times.

I also have 51.84% of the Philippine Expressway System in three visits (but most of that was on one visit)

Chris

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 01:38:28 pm
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2021, 09:19:04 pm »

I have 2153 in Oregon from 3 road trips (also am only missing 5 counties, we planned those road trips well).
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2021, 04:21:50 pm »
Somehow Florida is #3 for me (after NY and PA), even though I've only been there once.  Apparently going down to Key West and then back via a different route (to the extent such is possible/practical) nets a lot of miles.

Every other jurisdiction on my top 10 either is NY, borders NY, or is along/near the Northeast Corridor.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:51:15 pm
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2021, 05:33:34 pm »
Somehow Florida is #3 for me (after NY and PA), even though I've only been there once.  Apparently going down to Key West and then back via a different route (to the extent such is possible/practical) nets a lot of miles.

Every other jurisdiction on my top 10 either is NY, borders NY, or is along/near the Northeast Corridor.

I am not surprised by that.  I have 921 miles, and over a third of them would have just been on I-95 (which I do not even have clinched in FL, I only got it down to I-395/FL 836 because the bus did not go south of there).

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:14:53 pm
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2021, 06:21:01 pm »
As someone who's done the ride between the FL/GA border on I-95 and the Naples area many times, I can confirm that Florida is very tall.  The few times that involved I-10 to/from the AL/FL border seemed even longer.  Not much to see on I-10 out in much of the panhandle.

Offline dfilpus

• Last Login:Yesterday at 05:19:50 pm
    • Filpus Roadgeek
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2021, 10:37:58 am »
Excluding states that I or my kids live or have lived in or states adjacent to those states, the only state in my top ten list remaining is Florida. The next state not excluded is California.

Offline theFXexpert

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:June 30, 2023, 02:59:08 pm
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2021, 02:21:08 pm »
My home Florida and neighboring Georgia are my top 2, but Pennsylvania beats Alabama for #3 by a few miles thanks to it being a frequent summer destination and having criss-crossed it many different ways.

Colorado ranks #8 beating nearby South Carolina by about 50 miles due to a generous loop to Montrose -> Durango -> Walsenburg from the Denver Airport and South Carolina mostly being used as a pass-through state to the Appalachians or coastal Mid-Atlantic. I was a passenger in all but a couple trips through SC with the same interstates being backtracked over and over for optimal time. Sometimes drives through the Carolinas and Virginia were skipped entirely by using the Amtrak Auto Train or flying into BWI instead.

I'm a little surprised I have no miles in Mississippi yet despite its relatively friendly proximity.

Offline dave1693

• Last Login:November 21, 2023, 11:28:54 pm
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2021, 05:01:01 pm »
My top five states for mileage include the three states I've lived in, but they're numbers 1, 2, and 5. That is likely due to New Jersey not having a lotof miles to clinch. NJ is my highest *percentage* region, not counting DC which I consider too small to count for this purpose.

My second-highest percentage region is Maryland, in which I've never lived but lies between VA (where I live) and PA (where I once lived and parents still do), so it makes sense.

Offline bhemphill

• Last Login:February 09, 2022, 04:21:48 pm
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2021, 04:22:48 pm »
My 3 (Alaska), 4 (Oregon), and 5 (Schleswig-Holstein) in percentage travel are areas a long way, over 1500 miles, from where I have ever lived.  Saint Martin is really too small to count the percentage as an anomaly if you visit the island at all.  Considering the amount of time I have spent in some of those regions and the fact that Schleswig-Holstein is on another continent than I have ever lived on, it might be a bit surprising that the percentages are so high. 

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2021, 02:50:54 am »
Well, per percentage... I only lived in regions #6 (85%) and #13 (57%). #1 to #3 have just a little over 100mi, #5 even less. From #4 to #12 I have six French regions where we have not yet drafted D route systems. And Luxembourg is also little with less than 600 miles. The biggest surprise is #16 Portugal with 1268 miles and 42%. I've only been there on one roadtrip and my hotels were in Spain. I never spent a night in Portugal :D

Offline epzik8

• Last Login:May 25, 2021, 05:47:14 pm
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2021, 05:46:11 pm »
I am a lifelong resident of Maryland, but I have more mileage in Pennsylvania since it's bigger.

Offline formulanone

• Last Login:March 25, 2024, 05:01:03 pm
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2022, 11:33:40 am »
Texas finally overtook Florida in my totals, but that's the way it goes.

It's almost surpassed the total amount of possible state-maintained mileage I could possibly get in Alabama.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 11:36:19 am by formulanone »

Offline rlee

• Last Login:February 11, 2024, 09:27:14 am
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2022, 10:30:19 pm »
Texas is my most miles followed by Louisiana, Florida, Arizona, and then my home state of Mississippi. Mississippi state routes are not fully up much less clinchable yet. Once that happens (someday, hopefully), Mississippi should jump above Texas.